DC Reinvents the Superman Titles for a New Family-Based Era in 2023

reads article on the DC homepage, then sits back with a big smile on his face

As Lex said in Superman Returns, “Bring it on!”

I want it. ALL of it.

Power Girl has a new starring gig? YES!

New costumes? YES!

A new volume of Superman? YES!

PKJ is spearheading the Superman line? YES!

Superman’s 85th anniversary is going to start off on a fantastic (What? You were expecting “super”? :wink:) start, and we don’t even have to wait all that long until the festivities begin! :partying_face:

Toss in World’s Finest, and the Superman line looks to be THE line for DC in '23.

As for the formatting of Action, I’m thinking one of two things:

:burrito: It will stay as-is, in terms of page count and pricing, while each story runs around 10 pages or so.

:pizza: It takes on the format of Batman: Urban Legends, goes up to $7.99 and each story gets 15 or so pages.

Either way, I’m in.

I always get excited when the Superman line debuts new creative teams and/or titles, but this go-around just feels like it might be something greater than the norm. Like we have something special in the works and we’re all lucky enough to be there as the new era works its magic firsthand.

3 Likes

Kandor came back in batman/superman 7 and 8.

3 Likes

True, but, if you’re talking about the current title by Waid, that book is set in the past. The events in Batman/Superman likely happened prior to Rogol Zaar destroying Kandor.

1 Like

batman/superman vol 2 issue 7 april 2020 was written by joshua williamson. batman/superman vol 2 issue 8 may 2020 was written by joshua williamson.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. You’re talking about the previous volume. Come to think if it, Kandor was also in Superman & The Authority. So, yeah, it’s likely that its destruction was retconned.

They said this run is supposed to hearken back to the triangle-era. I’m a sucker for that time in Superman comics. I remember when they did that with the New Krypton arc and it made me so happy.

Let’s see how this run goes. I’m liking what I’m seeing so far.

1 Like

You know me. I’m very good at voicing unpopular opinions :laughing:

I was just happy that someone else expressed an opinion that I usually get a lot of heat for.

2 Likes

All is good, my friend. I know the feeling. Though I don’t get much “heat”, it does sometimes feel lonely with some of my likes & dislikes.

3 Likes

They have had 2 Super Sons series since Jon aged up too - they will continue to tell stories from the past with him

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @weirdsciencedcroundup.24365!

Yeah, I feel you. I’ve participated in comic book message boards for a long, long time. One thing I’ve found to be true about them is that there is an awful lot of group think concerning what’s “good” and “bad” amongst the participants.

3 Likes

Besides they are doing that Battle of the Super-sons film. I wouldn’t be surpied that in 10 years somebody ends up reconing grown-up Jon and bring back kid Jon. It sounds like about right for DC

From around year 2000 till the new 52 reboot in 2011 when the old dc forums were shut down, I was in the old dc forums pretty much every day, and pretty much almost anything was allowed and it was like the wild wild west. In the old dc forums, I would suggest unpopular things like putting Superman in armor costume and this was long before the Jim Lee superman armor costume of the 2011 new 52 reboot. Some of my old suggestions came true like letting Aquaman always carry the magic trident so he would be more powerful and this was pretty much done in the 2011 reboot.

1 Like

I remember the old DC forums! I would agree that (for better or worse) members were bolder with the things they said back then (that was true of the Internet, in general, back then). However, the opinions I challenged back on the old DC forums are largely the same opinions I’ve challenged here. The more things change…

3 Likes

Ah, the old dc forums! I remember when each hero had their own section and the discussions about each issue would be something to look forward to. You brought back a lot of memories!

3 Likes

Oh trust me, I know!

2 Likes

As Martha said to Clark in Superman Returns, “You’re never alone.”

:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

So, onto the new books once more:

As a huge fan of The Adventures of Superman (v1, to be precise), I’m glad to see the AOS branding on a new book, especially one starring Jon.

Now, once his mini is over in September of next year (as long as it stays on-schedule and I don’t see why it wouldn’t), what do we think will come afterward?

Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent goes from a 6 issue book to a full ongoing?

A new volume of Superman: Son of Kal-El?

While you think that one over in your mental sponge, here’s a poll:

Which title in the NYCC :superman:uper-news is your most-anticipated?

• Action Comics. Three unique stories means three times the action!
  • Superman. By the time it debuts in February, it will have been nearly two years since a “Superman”-branded ongoing was on-shelf, so welcome back, Superman!
  • Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent. Jon’s solo adventures are great, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for him.
0 voters
1 Like

It’s tough, I’ve loved Action Comics every month already but I’m very excited to have a superman book that goes back to focusing on just Clark and Lois and his adventures at the daily planet. Also, I do think Taylor’s Jon Kent run could get a lot better now that we are moving away from the bendix plotline and doing this multiverse, event level story.

2 Likes

Likewise.

Action’s been a kick-ass book for sure, but seeing Superman back on the shelves will be a treat.

IDK about anyone else, but at this point, Superman is my #1, most-anticipated new ongoing for next year.

1 Like

I can’t be the only one that wants Superman stories…not Superfamily stories? I think the proliferation of Superpeople makes the original character less unique.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community :slightly_smiling_face:. I think with the new lineup of Superman comics, you’re bound to find something you like. Josh Williamson’s Superman book seems like it will focus on Clark, so maybe give that a try when it hits the shelves!

2 Likes