DC Publishing: All Comics Will be Organized Under 3 Age-Specific Labels in 2020

Hi Everyone,

Below, we are providing a summary of the press release DC Publishing put out this morning - you can find the entire message here:
:point_right: http://bit.ly/DC-2020 :point_left:

"DC announced today that beginning in 2020, all of its publishing content will be organized and marketed under the DC brand, creating three age-specific labels – DC Kids, DC and DC Black Label – that would absorb all of its existing imprints and focus DC’s publishing content around characters and stories that evolve and mature along with the awareness and sensibilities of DC’s readers. As a result of this new labeling strategy, DC will sunset the Vertigo publishing imprint at the end of the year.

The new segmentation, featuring the new age rating system, will launch in January 2020. Books currently being published under the recently launched DC Zoom and DC Ink imprints, which are focused on the middle grade and young adult segments, respectively, will be assigned to the DC Kids and DC labels depending on the content and intended audiences.

The three labels will be structured as follows:

DC Kids w ill focus on readers ages 8-12 and offer content created specifically for the middle-grade reader
DC, focusing on ages 13+, will primarily be the current DC universe of characters
DC Black Label will focus on content appropriate for readers 17 and older

:question:"Does this mean DC Universe will get imprints previously held back moving forward?":question:
We do not have an update at this time, but it is absolutely something we now have the opportunity to revisit. Stay tuned for more details as DC Publishing organizes its plans.

If you have any other questions, please let us know in the comments below and we will work to get answers back to you.

15 Likes

Will DC be adding monthly, child appropriate comics under the DC Kids line, or will that continue to be just graphic novels?

4 Likes

It would be a shame if Vertigo/Black Label comics was not added to this service.

5 Likes

please add vertigo

5 Likes

A solemn moment for a historic institution, but if it means new opportunities for DCU this could be a blessing in disguise.

6 Likes

Just a heads up for questions, we don’t have answers at this time; but we will explore in the coming weeks in order to better address how this impacts DC Universe. Stay tuned!

8 Likes

Sad news. I’ve been getting more into Vertigo (or at least their past content including Sandman). Hope this means Vertigo will come to the service soon

3 Likes

I am ”tuned” for whenever the news comes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Applejack can you use your influence to add Animal Man here?

6 Likes

Just the possibility that all Fables and Sandman comics will be added gets me excited!

7 Likes

A bit sad to see Vertigo go, but makes sense. Black Label pretty much fills that same place in the market for DC. We just need Black Label to be more consistent with releasing content on time and we’d be all good.

The possibility of getting Black Label content on this service has got me feeling like a kid before Christmas again!! Add to that the possibility of the Sandman universe :metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:

I sooooooo love this service :heart:

1 Like

Lovely. I’m glad publishing news is being spotlighted here.

I hope we see more publishing news as time progresses.

5 Likes

I am hopeful that this means more comics will be added under the DC Kids brand (why even have that distinction if it just encompasses the randomly released ink or zoom graphic novel and the odd Looney Tunes series). The cancellation of Scooby Doo Team Up and Teen Titans Go was a huge blow, but hopefully it presages big upcoming announcements on that front.

1 Like

I know you probably can’t answer but what I’m curious about is whether some less mature content that was included in Black Label retroactively will be removed back to DC proper next time it gets reprinted…stuff like New Frontier, All-Star Superman and Kingdom Come.

I hope this does not mean more naked Batman.

2 Likes

I didnt know Scooby Doo Teamup and Teen Titans Go were cancelled. I read those every bi monthly

For people asking for Vertigo, DC Black label will incorporate Vertigo under its
label, the idea is to bring all titles back under the DC banner.

The linked article explains more in detail.

Does DC still plan on publishing Astro City from Busiek, Anderson and Ross? After the monthly series ended, Kurt Busiek posted: "“Big News! Today’s solicitations feature Astro City #52 - the final issue of the monthly series! But have no fear - we’ll be back in the first all-new Astro City graphic novel! More details to come, from me, Brent, Alex and Vertigo Comics!”