DC Pride Book Club Week 2: DC Comics: Bombshells (2015-) #1-9 šŸŒˆ

@Vroom, I would actually love a 2D animated show like DCSHG but in the vintage style of the art by Marguerite Sauvage or something similar. This kind of vintagey coloring (but with eye-popping red, like @nu52 mentioned). They could adapt this story or do their own thing and expand on the universe. Maybe if the animated Harley Quinn series on DCU is a success, DC would be interested in pursuing another female-centric animated show and this would be perfect! Maybe even the same team can do it, the few things weā€™ve seen from it, I think that style lends itself pretty well to Bombshells.

1 Like

@Mae Sounds good to me.

Given what a merchandising and storytelling success Bombshells is, Iā€™m surprised weā€™ve havenā€™t already had some kind of animated adaptation of it.

Maybe next year to tie into Wonder Woman 1984? Itā€™d make sense.

2 Likes

Batwoman saving Bruceā€™s family after the Zorro showing was a great way to open up the story. You hit ā€˜em with something familiar, but once it goes differently than expected, you know itā€™s an Elseworlds story.

I really enjoyed Kate Kane in this story. I felt like I got who she was instantly and didnā€™t need too much time setting her up. I did like how we were able to just jump right in. I liked that Batwoman had been active for quite a while and that she and Maggie seemed to have been together way before the story began. Kateā€™s Batwoman costume is incredible. I just adore Marguerite Sauvageā€™s art. The art adds a lot to the atmosphere and setting up this world. All of Kateā€™s outfits are so cute! Her dresses are adorable. I didnā€™t know Kate Kane was Jewish, so that added a deeper level as to why World War II would be even more personal to her.

I do highly enjoy Elseworlds stories. I love the Injustice and the DC Super Hero Girls of the DC Universe. What I like about this universe is that every character is the character that we all know and love. Big Barda is clearly Big Barda. They just happen to be stylized in a way to fit this alternate reality, but there core is still pretty much the same (at least from these first 9 issues). The designs and reinterpretations of the iconic costumes are done stupendously. Theyā€™re instantly recognizable, while fitting in perfectly with the world that is built in this book. I gotta say, I really like Jokerā€™s Daughterā€™s look. She reminds me of like a Lucille Ball.

I feel like we could see this female team be translated over to the main universe. I know we have the Birds of Prey, but that doesnā€™t really seem like itā€™s for every female character in DC. Wonder Woman, for instance, would be out of place in a BOP lineup. Iā€™d like to see Supergirl and Stargirlā€™s relationship be featured more in the ongoing main continuity too. I remember Stargirl having a bit of a rivalry in her mind with Supergirl in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. Those two should interact more.

As far as which character I connected with the most, I would probably have to go with Harper Row just fangirling. I would totally be her meeting any of my heroes. She was happy to have a broken bat just because it belonged to Batwoman. That was precious.

Kate and Maggieā€™s relationship was the sweetest. It was wholesome, while not being saccharine. It really felt authentic. Two adults in love and working well individually and as a couple. They both have their own lives, but they also can combine those lives seamlessly. The Fourth of July sequence was awesome. Kate and Maggie spending the Fourth of July together in issue #8 was adorable. The firework panels are some of my favorites. The fireworks are gorgeous and Kate being cheeky with Maggie was funny. Those panels are then followed by the monochrome image. That was beautiful. Watching them have that great night and then have to say goodbye the next morning was heart wrenching. Maggie pleading to Kate to do whatever she had to to come back home to her was so sad.

As far as the rest of the series, I am looking forward to reading more now. I have become invested in this world and these characters. Diana crushing on Steve Trevor and Mera poking fun at her is hilarious. Kara and Kortniā€™s story really interests me. It feels like they borrowed some traits from Barbara Gordon and gave them to Kate. The whole living in Burnside part and the art reminds me of Batgirlā€™s Burnside comic. I think Iā€™ve seen Bombshell Batgirl statues before, so Iā€™m wondering how theyā€™re going to differentiate the two. If Bruce was a kid at the time, does Batgirl become inspired to become a Bat from Batwoman? Just a rhetorical question/wondering out loud. I love Batgirl so Iā€™m excited to see if she ever shows up and how. Iā€™ve also seen Batman statues, so I wonder if heā€™s ever going to come to the comic and if he does, will he be Bruce? Or if theyā€™d bring on a different character as Batman. The whole demon thing in Zatannaā€™s story was unexpected. That really came out of left field for me and Iā€™m interested to know where that goes.

4 Likes

Iā€™m two chapters in and loving this series. I canā€™t wait to read more of it!

1 Like

I read all of the 9 issues in one sitting. I was hooked lol

1 Like

@nu52, absolutely agree on that moment with Harper, that was a lot of fun and totally cute!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t really know what to expect from this series, and was pleasantly surprised. The Maggie-Kate scenes were sweet, and it is great to put a lesbian romance front and center in the first issue! However, my favorite part so far is the bunny John Constantine smoking a cigarette! Now I have to keep reading to see where this all goesā€¦

4 Likes

@BuddyBaker LOL, bunny John Constantine is something I did not expect at all. It was really funny.

1 Like

I love how no matter where in the multiverse we are, Amanda Waller is always trying to form some sort of a team.

2 Likes

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED bunny John Constantine!!!

1 Like

I plan on going back and re-reading, but I loved what they did with Supergirl and Stargirl, and Iā€™m also enjoying their depiction of Themyscirans. Zatanna was fun, and Iā€™m loving the batfam. The art for this piece is astounding, and it makes me incredibly glad that this series has so many chapters. Iā€™m incredibly eager to see what else they do with the story.

1 Like

@Yazme Agreed with all of your points! Supergirl and Stargirl had such an intriguing twist to their origins.

I like the phrase shield sorrow for shellshock/PTSD. And how the ā€˜bombshellsā€™ are like the allies goddesses of love and war

3 Likes

@tatsutoshime.68462 I really loved that term for PTSD as well. It was something I never thought about regarding the Amazons, but it makes total sense. What I never thought about until you pointed it out was the Bombshells acting as the goddesses of love and war. I love that you mentioned that.

I really also enjoyed the phrase that Diana said when trying to repeat Steve Trevorā€™s story. ā€œHoneycombs that fire wasps of metal, stone chests that launch tongues of flame, huge tortoises that crush entire forests in their passing, and a tyrant with a symbolā€” red and black, like a nest of thorns.ā€

3 Likes

The writing in this series is really so good! Funny, poignant, heroic.

2 Likes

I expected this series to be fun, and it is, but itā€™s also just extremely well thought out and powerful. The multiple layers all play off of each other and lead to a similar destination. It really is so good!

1. What did you think of Kateā€™s depiction in this story?

I thought it was a powerful depiction of the character. It showcases her as a powerful character on her own without Batman. I think it stuck very true to the core of the character, but made the needed adjustments for the particular time period that the story is taking place. I plan on reading more of this title, mainly because I want to see more of what they did with this particular version of Kate.

1. Are you a fan of Elseworlds stories and which elements from Bombshells would you carry over to the main continuity?

I think the fun of Elseworlds is that they do not usually carry over to the main universe. I think if most of this went over to the main universe it would take the fun of this series away. Maybe the connection between Stargirl and Supergirl would be interesting in a title, but I donā€™t think I would want even that to stick around long term in the main universe.

1. Which characters did you connect with the most?

Definitely the Stargirl and Supergirl scenes. I also found myself really drawn to the Zatanna scenes. I admit that I chuckled when I saw the John Constatine scene and then what happens to him and to see a rabbit doing that! I just laughed. I couldnā€™t. I just couldnā€™t! It was nice to have a chuckle from a title. I think each character though presented a nice element to the overall story. I liked that they were not instantly connected to each other either. There is obviously threads that are going to come together and I look forward to seeing how those threads all come together in the end. It is hard to believe that this started as a statue line that basically seemed to objectify women, but this really seems to have taken that in a different direction.

1. What are your thoughts on Kate Kate and Maggie Sawyerā€™s relationship?

For the time period, the relationship would have had to be subtle and that is what it feels like here. There are moments of not being subtle, but each moment feels organic to the story. It feels appropriate and right. I really loved how it was represented here and how it was discussed that Kate would have to act a certain way due to being a socialite. This is an element that rings true for the period of time that this story is taking place. I canā€™t say enough good things about this overall. I think a lot of thought and care went into all the elements of this particular title and I think it will only get better as the team element eventually is fully incorporated into the title, since we some of that beginning to form here.

3 Likes

Finished chapter 6 yesterday, will do 7-9 later today.

I realky enjoy the Bombshells rendition of Mera. Her introduction was nifty too.

1 Like

@PrincessAmethyst, loved reading your thoughts and about the whole angle of objectification of women, I actually posted a little bit about that earlier and just the whole fact that even the word ā€œbombshellā€ to refer to women is a sexist and objectifying term. However, I love how this series, mainly led by women, was able to embrace that history and turn it into a badge of honor. These are powerful women being depicted here and itā€™s wonderful to see, with Kate, a queer woman, being effectively our lead.

4 Likes

@PrincessAmethyst Wonderfully put! It really is so interesting that something this awesome was able to spin out of a statues line. Usually, you see the merchandise spin out of the comic. This is one that worked backwards and worked really well. It places the statues under a new light and context that enhances them, IMO.

1 Like