DC Pride Book Club Week 1: Midnighter (2015-) #1-5 🌈

I hope you’re able to find time too @PrincessAmethyst. Would definitely love to hear your thoughts on the reading material :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@MattMcDonald Thanks for stopping by! Book Clubs unite :fist_right::fist_left:

3 Likes

@nu52 Grifter and Midnighter was a pretty solid mini from what I remember. I haven’t read it since it came out in 2007, but I imagine it hols up well. It was written by Chuck Dixon and drawn by Ryan Benjamin (artist of, among other titles, The Odyssey of the Amazons and The Immortal Men).

As for Midnighter’s ability to see a fight before it happens, that’s one of the most intriguing things about him to me. He’s definitely a “Thank goodness he’s on our side.” character IMO.

2 Likes

I think they need to discuss this on DC Daily. I really love reading the series the crossover with Grayson is one of my favorites the banter between the two I really enjoyed.

1 Like

Yeah, the computer brain thing is very interesting – though in thinking about it, I had the thought that in some ways he shares a lot in common with Prometheus from Grant Morrison’s JLA, except, you know, competent even without the power. It’s to the point where I thought at first Morrison might have been doing a playful parody of Midnighter with him, but it turns out that the two characters debuted in the same month of the same year. Funny how things turn out like that.

And honestly, I’m rather surprised that Chuck Dixon wrote Midnighter and in a way that does him justice – from what I recall, Dixon isn’t exactly the most LGBT-friendly writer in the world…

1 Like

@Vroom I’ll have to check that Dixon run of Grifter and Midnighter. He did Nightwing, Batgirl: Year One, and Robin: Year One right? I really liked them. The Odyssey of the Amazons had amazing art. The art was such a highlight in that book. I’ll definitely be adding Grifter and Midnighter to my reading list now.

I would like to see Midnighter in an alternate universe, Injustice style. How would the heroes fair going up against a rogue Midnighter? That’d be fun.

1 Like

@ manoferos78.20423 That would be awesome if DC Daily covered this series. I’d love to hear their takes… Especially if John Kourounis is on the panel :grinning:

Nice avatar pic BTW. I see you’re a fan of Midnighter and Apollo!

1 Like

@ Jay_Kay I’ve never read Grant Morrison’s JLA. I just want Midnighter to interact with more of the DC Universe, so it’d be great to see him meet someone with similar powers. Funny how things happen where characters are published around the same time and are very similar. I wonder if something in the world at the time subconsciously influenced the creators or what.

Didn’t know that about Dixon… Maybe Chuck’s opinion has changed?

1 Like

@nu52 Yep, that’s Dixon. He’s a very entertaining writer.

I’ve come to enjoy Ryan Benjamin quite a bit in the years since Grifter and Midnighter came out. It’ll be fun to revisit that series.

1 Like

Who cares if he’s not a “lgbt friendly writer” , he’s a good writer. It doesn’t matter what kind or type of writer he is or isn’t. Only you, the ridiculous social justice types, care more about what “type” of anything somebody is or how many diversity boxes they check off than about their actual merits as a pure storyteller. It’s just embarrassing.

Finished the first 5 issues. Really enjoyed it. Like I said in an earlier post, I had some issues with clarity at the beginning of the first issue, but other than that it was great. It’s a fun read and Midnighter is really entertaining. I’m actually surprised how queer the book is. It’s not like flamboyant or anything, but it’s really overtly queer, which is not something you generally see in a book that’s under the main DC label. It’s neat to see it being so normal in a book. Like, it’s just the way things are in this book and no one really bats an eye at it. I appreciate that.

Dick and Midnighter’s banter is also great. I was already reading Grayson when I saw this book club pick, so it worked out well. I got a good dose of these two going back and forth and it’s done really well.

My only real problems with the series so far have mostly be jargon related. Lot of names of places and people thrown around. Most I recognize now, but there was a lot pretty quickly at first, and I wasn’t familiar with Midnighter outside of his appearances in Grayson. This is a good book, but it kind of reads like a continuation of other things, so I’m not sure how new-reader friendly it is on its own.

@dubled723.40730 Everyone that has commented aboutDixon in this thread has praised him and stated they enjoy his writing. Not a single person has put his talents down. Someone was pleasantly surprised by how Dixon depicted a character and that was it. Please, instead of watching this thread for any chance to come after “social justice warriors,” why not participate in the actual discussion happening? I’d love to hear your thoughts about the first 5 issues of Midnighter.

2 Likes

@Mononon Yeah, I enjoyed that too. We see Batman date around sometimes and Superman with Lois. The elements of Midnighter’s love life were added in quite naturally and weren’t over the top, in my opinion. I really appreciate how it was handled and how the characters around Midnighter reacted (or didn’t react). It was really nice.

Oh, that’s awesome that your reading selection was able to synch up with the book club like that! Are you enjoying Grayson?

I totally agree that for a new reader it can be a lot. The slew of new characters/places can be a bit overwhelming at times.

@Vroom Dixon really has a great grasp on the BatFam. His stories are always really entertaining and don’t always need huge action scenes to grab your attention. Another Midnighter book and Dixon’s writing paired with the art of Ryan Benjamin, it’s a title that’s now high up on my to read list.

This is definitely on my reading list. But the list is soooo long! Also, Midnighter needs to make it onto the small screen in some DC TV show soon!

2 Likes

@Mae I actually think Midnighter could do a smaller budget action movie. Something like a John Wick. That kind of budget would work well for Midnighter. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a DC Universe Original though.

BTW, I am right there with you with the long list of to reads. It’s pretty awesome that this is one of our problems :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Happy Pride! Man I wish we could get a New Midnighter ongoing under the new Wildstorm line already!

2 Likes

Yes Happy Pride Month!
@nu52, yeah its great that having too much to read is our problem :slight_smile: The struggles real !

1 Like

The thing with putting Midnighter on TV is that I feel like to do him justice he can’t be on normal, regular TV – not to mention places like the Arrowverse typically don’t do amazing action anyway. Part of me thinks Titans, but with how hyperviolent Robin is already, he might not be able to fully shine. Hmm…maybe he can be on Doom Patrol, have a date or two with Larry?

2 Likes