DC Pride Book Club | Nº15 | The Hellblazer ('16) Rebirth #1-6 | October

DC Pride Book Club’s 15th Installment :rainbow:

Spooktober: The Poison Truth

red jack_o_lantern jack_o_lantern yellow jack_o_lantern green jack_o_lantern blue jack_o_lantern purple jack_o_lantern

Halloween has made its way to the DC Universe and to @DCPrideBookClub as we embark on a journey through Rebirth’s The Hellblazer. We’ll be reading the first arc this month (The Poison Truth). Come join the spookiness!

red jack_o_lantern jack_o_lantern yellow jack_o_lantern green jack_o_lantern blue jack_o_lantern purple jack_o_lantern

Week 1

SPOILER DISCUSSION: 2020-10-01T07:00:00Z2020-10-07T07:00:00Z

What: THE HELLBLAZER: REBIRTH (2016-) #1

:star2:Discussion Questions

1. What do you think of this Rebirth issue as a start to the series?

2. How are you feeling about Constantine?

3. Do you hav any traditions for Autumn/Halloween?

Week 2

SPOILER DISCUSSION: 2020-10-08T07:00:00Z2020-10-14T07:00:00Z

What: THE HELLBLAZER (2016-) #1

1. How did you feel about Swamp Thing in this issue?

2. What do you think about Mercury?

3. Did any moments stand out to you from this issue?

Week 3

SPOILER DISCUSSION: 2020-10-15T07:00:00Z2020-10-21T07:00:00Z

What: THE HELLBLAZER (2016-) #2-3

1. Are you a fan of the Constantine/Swamp Thing dynamic?

2. How are you feeling about Chas?

3. Are you enjoying the art?

Week 4

SPOILER DISCUSSION: 2020-10-22T07:00:00Z2020-10-28T07:00:00Z

What: THE HELLBLAZER (2016-) #4-5

1. What are some of your favorite scary movies?

2. Which character(s) are your favorite so far?

3. How do you think this arc will end?

Week 5

SPOILER DISCUSSION: 2020-10-29T07:00:00Z2020-11-04T08:00:00Z

What: THE HELLBLAZER (2016-) #6

Have you been enjoying the Halloween events around the community?
What did you think about the last part of ‘The Poison Truth’?
What were the highlights of the issues we read this past month?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall as you read along and let’s discuss

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click prideemoji to get a cool flair and join the club

Watch and track #dc-pride to keep up to date with all club events

5 Likes

dc pride pumpkinWill you be dressing up for Halloween this year?dc pride pumpkin

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

3 Likes

Oh, I’m so excited for this! I’ve been wanting to read more Constantine lately, so this has come at the perfect time! :boom: I love the spooky season! :ghost:

I have a bad habit of reading but forgetting to join the discussion, but I’m gonna try my best to participate this month! :triumph:

3 Likes

Haha, spooky season is really fun. October is quite a busy month. dc pride pumpkin flair

2 Likes

love our new pride icons, thank you!! :hugs::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

LOL, I wasn’t sure if to go with pumpkin-rainbow or dc pride pumpkin flair

2 Likes

they both rock, but i’m digging this colorful one :blush:

1 Like

Yup, me too. It adds some fun flair to the club’s flair. :grinning:

2 Likes

OMG! I lurve the color-changing pumpkins in our flairs! :heart_eyes: :jack_o_lantern:

3 Likes

Pumpkins are so cute :jack_o_lantern: :halloween_wonderwoman: :halloween_superman: :halloween_batman: but rainbow pumpkins? The best :rainbow_flag:

5 Likes

Oof, almost forgot all about this! I SHOULD be able to do one issue a week. :sweat_smile:

1. What do you think of this Rebirth issue as a start to the series?

I think it works fairly well for what it’s meant to do. As with all the other Rebirth one-shots, the idea is that it gives new readers a thorough idea of what this character is about and where they’re going in the book. I like that it isn’t just a recap of all of Constantine’s past and exploits, just enough to establish that he is a right, proper bastard, and gives future readers a little hook into wanting to know more about his past. Most important, this issue actually does something pretty big in removing the curse that John had to keep him from London, something that he had been dealing with since his New 52 run.

1. How are you feeling about Constantine?

I like how this book seems to so far really try to blend the character’s Vertigo roots, like re-establishing London as his homebase, bringing in Chaz, while also allowing his more superhero history matter, as we see in Shazam’s less than warm reaction to Constantine (it being a reference to John trying to con Billy to give him the power of Shazam during the Trinity War crossover).

1. Do you have any traditions for Autumn/Halloween?

Eh, not so much anymore, now that I’m all grown up and boring. Hell, even if the pandemic wasn’t making trick or treating next to impossible, I haven’t had kids show up at our door for years now. Mostly I just read/watch more spooky things. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I really did like this Rebirth one-shot a bit more than most of the other one-shots I’ve read. It didn’t feel so much like a recap, but just another part in Constantine’s story. I’m not the most versed in Hellblazer lore, which left me confused in some parts. Mostly, it was easy to follow and showcased the humor, and the cunning/trickery that John is really good at. It was fun.

That entire scene felt like I was watching a movie. It was pretty epic.

Ah, so that’s what that was about. I gotta read Trinity War now. That seems like a really good plot point to go visit and completely like what I’ve come to expect of John :joy:

That counts! Spookifying things is becoming more and more fun for me the older I get. I never was really into Halloween when I was younger (except for the candy).

3 Likes

I think its great, the art is a little wonky to me but I think it suits Constantine. I like that it shows you a bit of his history and throws in some humor cause well John is a cheeky bastard. And isnt that why we love em?

YOU LIE…

I quite enjoy Constatine, ive read the previous hellblazers on the app and hes just a dick with a smidgen of a heart. Him and swamp thing for a start. And I liked this panel

And this WW

Pumpkins and pumpkin carving, lots of baking (banana and pumpkin bread, apple pie, scones), decorating the windows with diy cling that says Help Me, and a 1st this year Inktober :grinning:.

Also Awesome flair pumpkins rock but :rainbow: :jack_o_lantern: :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I agree with this! I was looking at the art a little side-eyed at first, but as I read on, it just fit. And I love that Wonder Woman too! It was a nice surprise seeing here there when I first read it.

Oh my gosh, your home must smell amazing with all of that baking going on! I definitely get more pies during this time of year. Inkotober with all of you talented folk on DC Universe :boom:

(P.S. I love your profile pic :smile:)

3 Likes

Thank you kindly some awesome person made it (looking at you :grinning:)and its just too cute.

tumblr_ob42xmkNzJ1tvovv5o1_400

3 Likes
  • How did you feel about Swamp Thing in this issue?

I liked him here – like with John, he feels like a good mix of the character we had seen in the New 52, what with dealing with Abby being the Avatar of the Rot, but he also feels like the same character who went through all of Moore’s Saga of the Swamp Thing and all the other subsequent Vertigo series before he was allowed back into regular continuity. Definitely curious to see where Swampy goes in this series, especially in regards to Abby.

• What do you think about Mercury?

I’m not sure yet. I don’t know if she’s taken from a previous run of Hellblazer, or just a new character that we’ll find out more about as the story progresses.

• Did any moments stand out to you from this issue?

Them bringing up John being used to surrogate a baby for Abby and Swampy was kind of a surprise. For anyone who doesn’t know, that’s an actual thing that happened in the comics. Tefe Holland, daughter of Abby Arcane, Alec Holland, and John kinda sorta, she actually leads the Swamp Thing book in a relaunch written by Brian K Vaughn.

Also, the scenes with the two seemingly immortal chaps and how one of them kinda sort of starts WWI and interesting. I’m curious to see where that story goes!

3 Likes

Time to do some catching up…

What do you think of this Rebirth issue as a start to the series?

Admittedly I haven’t read any Rebirth one-shots before this (didn’t even know those were a thing), but I actually really liked it! I’m in the same boat as @nu52 where I’m not too knowledgeable on Hellblazer lore so I was scratching my head in some places, but you guys explained the things I didn’t know about pretty well!

How are you feeling about Constantine?

I like him! I haven’t read any of his solo series (all of my Constantine knowledge comes from some group titles he’s been in as well as miscellaneous facts about him I’ve picked up over the years), so I feel like this series is doing a good job introducing him to new readers! I’m excited to keep reading about him!

Do you have any traditions for Autumn/Halloween?

Hmmm… well, almost every year my family and I decorate our house! This year we’ve got a little grave yard, complete with inflatable gargoyles guarding it, set up in the front yard! My mom likes adding things every year: last year it was a very cool and spooky animatronic witch (with a raven perched on her hand) that talks whenever someone walks in front of her, and this year it’s a couple of really neat inflatables including this 12 foot tall “grimace pumpkin” (we’ve dubbed him the pumpkin king). If you couldn’t tell, we really like Halloween. :ghost: :jack_o_lantern:

I know we’re on week 4, but I’m gonna go through the different week’s discussions slowly if that’s okay!

2 Likes

How did you feel about Swamp Thing in this issue?

I feel like every Swamp Thing I’ve read thus far is a good Swamp Thing, and this one isn’t any different! (P.S @Jay_Kay: I always really enjoy reading your thoughts, especially this time around! You’re doing a good job filling in some blanks I had, like Abby being the avatar of the rot! I had no idea! I definitely have a lot of reading to do…)

What do you think about Mercury?

I think she’s really interesting and I’m looking forward to reading more about her! Her and John seem to have some history, so I hope we get see it slowly pan out. Plus, I just think she’s really cool. I mean, come on, a psychic who rides an awesome motorcycle who also has a no-nonsense attitude? I’m instantly intrigued. :eyes:

Did any moments stand out to you from this issue?

These mysterious brothers:

who are they? :thinking: :eyes:

and this moment!:

“Deep down, there’s one thing that none of us ever wants to admit, let alone say out loud… we all want to feel wanted.” It got me, right in my heart. :pleading_face: :broken_heart:

Also! As @Jay_Kay said: the baby! Who I, again, had no clue even existed! I really have a lot of reading to do…

2 Likes

First, thanks for the kind words. :slight_smile:

Second, if you want to read that stuff, that’s in the New 52 run by Scott Snyder, specifically issues #1-18. It’s some great stuff, I highly recommend it. The love story between Alec and Abby is great (same holds true for the Alan Moore/Vertigo run BTW) and especially for the art by Yanick Paquette. :smiley:

3 Likes

Furiously takes notes :memo: new 52… issues 1-18… don’t forget the vertigo run… :memo: and got it! Thank you kindly for pointing me in the right direction! :hugs: Hah, I’ve been meaning to set aside some time to read Alan Moore’s run on Swampy ever since I watched Swamp Thing here (I’m still rallying for a second season :triumph:), but I just haven’t got around to it! I’ve heard nothing but great things about it, so I’m looking forward to it! :seedling: :herb:

1 Like