DC Pride 2022 (Comic) Discussion (spoilers)

well, let’s discuss the compilation issue here. What was your favorite story? what surprised you to see?

My favorite is Kevin Conroy’s which was a surprise to see. it reveals why he was such a moving Batman.[/spoiler] [spoiler]However, Batwoman’s story is a close second. I like that it was from Jacob’s perspective and about him being proud :00_dc_pride_poci: of his daughter.

favorite part of the book: Big Barta in a Minnesota T-shirt (My home state:exploding_head:) her bathrobe and fuzzy slippers.

5 Likes

I knew Kevin Conroy’s story was going to be heavy but I still really wasn’t sure what to expect going into it. It still surprised me. It was great. But somehow way heavier and emotional than I expected. I didn’t know any of his story and I feel bad about that now.

My favorite story was Connor’s. I might have cried reading it. I loved every part of it. The letter was beautifully written. The art was gorgeous. My boy Damian is being supportive too. (in his own way) Just an A+ story all around. It looks like this story will continue in Robin and I can’t wait to read it.

Jon’s was my second favorite. Again, Damian is supportive in his own way. But I’m glad to see him being supportive. But seeing more of Jon and Jay was nice too. And seeing what Jon thinks is a reason to wear the ‘S’ and what isn’t. It was a nice moment between Jay, Jon and Damian to convince Jon to be in the parade as Superman and not just as Jon. And that cape looks great too.

My surprise third favorite for me was Alysia Yeoh’s story. I remember her from a Batgirl series a while back but I had not thought much about her lately. It was nice to see her immediately help Babs and then jump into action herself. And even offer some advice to Babs as she left. It was a great story.

And my fourth favorite was Tim’s. I’m surprised he’s in fourth but they were some really good stories this year. His cake for Bernard was just so cute. And his talk with him was great. I hope they had a great ‘Fri Pri’ together.

Honestly, I could keep listing all of the stories because I didn’t dislike a single one. They were all fantastic. I was smiling and laughing most of the way through this book. I’ll be picking up a physical copy from my LCS this weekend if they still have any left. I’m happy I was able to read it today on DCUI, though.

4 Likes

I read them and here are my quick thoughts:

Jon Kent in "Super Pride"

Honestly, this was probably the one I liked the least. It just felt the most fake, the least authentic. The image of Jon having all the flags in the lining of his cape felt super performative, like I’m pretty sure this was a gag from The Boys but done unironically. I’m pretty sure the “straight pride” flag was in there too, which…is a choice.

Also, while I’m sure these stories were written well in advance, but the whole “Pride has been a party for decades” line rings hallow when there are major bills trying to upend the rights of LGBT people going on right now. Also…why is Damian acting like this? It’s not like he’s fresh from his mom’s ninja compound, he should know what a Pride festival is.

This felt like something that would have maybe rang more true in, like…2012, but is just completely out of touch.

Nubia in "Confessions"

This was a cute story. Nubia is in an interesting place because she’s a character that has shown up here and there since the 70s and now DC is trying to make her a stalwart figure in the DCU with a history that doesn’t always add up. I do like how they’re adding her into these stories, though. Seeing her in a charity wrestling match is a weird place for her, but it’s cool to see her out of her element. I also dug how they tweaked the art style for the flashback to make it feel more like a late 80s comic.

And by the way, if anyone wants to read the story that the story is referencing:

Conner Hawke in "Think of Me"

This was really well done. In some ways, it’s a standard “superhero thinks while doing superhero stuff” short that we’ve seen dozens upon dozens of times. But I think what it does is eloquently highlight the struggles of asexual people. Personally, I am not, and I don’t really know anyone who does, but I think this story really illustrates the feeling in a way that made me understand a bit better. I feel like this story is going to be very affirming to those who are out as asexual, and might even give people who are struggling and questioning the knowledge that they are.

Alysia Yeoh in "Up At Bat"

I really enjoyed this one. I liked Alysia’s character all the way back in Gail Simone’s run on Batgirl, and it’s great to see her get back into prominance again between stories like this and showing up in the upcoming Batgirl movie. This showed her in a really cool light, though I’m curious to see where she goes from here. While she has her own costume now, I’m not entirely sure if she needs to start going out and fighting crime – not every supporting character in a comic needs to don a mask – but I’m willing to be convinced if the story is told well enough.

Jackson Hyde in "A World Kept Just For Me"

This one was fine – it has some cute moments and does some nice introspection about Jackson’s history while continuing the relationship he started in his mini-series, but honestly just not much to talk about.

Jo Mullein in "The Gumshoe in Green"

Now this was definitely one of my favorites. I absolutely loved the Far Sector book, and I’m also a mark for film noir stories, so a short that continued that story with a noir aesthetic really got to me. Loved the art and story and pacing for it.

The only conflicting part of the story for me was the climax when Jo encountered the couple together and how she responds to them. On one hand, her dealing with the whole “bisexual people want to bang anything that moves” the way she did was really emotional and cathartic – especially for someone like myself who has dealt with some of that in the past. On the other, that explosive ending did kind of blow away the noir aesthetic and plopped the story right back into the comfortable superhero stuff. That might have been the intent, but I was just vibing with the black and white (and green) stuff so much that I was kind of hoping for a more noir ending. But, that’s just my own expectations – taking the story on it’s own terms, it’s really good and it makes me want to see more Jo content in the future.

The Ray in "Public Display of Electromagnetism"

I liked this story for how it handled a fairly real thing for people freshly out of the closet of showing affection to your partner. It was sweet enough, though I think since I don’t have as much experience with The Ray, the impact of what happened doesn’t really resonate as much? Like, I think we saw something similar recently in Wayne Family Adventures that handled this in a way that was more compelling to me, though I think it’s because it deals with characters I have more affection for, like Tim Drake and Kate Kane. Speaking of…

Kate Kane in "Bat’s in the Cradle"

This was an interesting one, because it’s not really about Kate, it’s about her father Jacob. I was definitely thrown off because while it’s been a minute since I’ve read the most recent Batwoman book, I thought he was in prison or something, so seeing him doing missions was weird. Overall, I liked how it explored Jacob’s thoughts on fatherhood and raising Kate…

But, there was one thing that annoyed me, and that was how Stephanie Phillips rewrote the scene where Kate comes out to Jacob. I’m of the opinion that that scene is pitch perfect, completely in line with both characters and is easily one of the most powerful moments in Kate’s relatively short publishing history. It would be sort of like rewriting one of Joker’s monologues in The Killing Joke, or something to that effect. I dunno, that might just be a “me” thing.

Tim Drake in "Special Delivery"

Tim’s recent coming out was…interesting for me. I wasn’t against Tim being bi, but it did feel out of nowhere and afterwards it just felt like an afterthought. But this story did more to make me like Tim’s relationship with Bernard more than any of the regular floppy issues have previous. Mostly because…we actually get to see them as a couple, doing date stuff and actually having chemistry. Bernard feels more like an actual character in silent panels than he did in whole scenes where he’s talking. It definitely makes me more into these two as a couple going forward…though I’m still not forgiving DC for breaking Tim and Steph up off panel.

Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy in "The Hunt"

This was a cute, but…odd story. It felt weird and dream-like from the start, even before the nega-clones of the two showed up. Part of it was the art that worked really well for this story, but also a lot of this felt random and unexplained. The flirtiness was cute in this story at first, but I did find it odd that when both Harley and Ivy were declaring their love to each other to the nega-twin version of their lover that they almost exclusively talk about their physical attributes. It’s nice to see DC not hide the physical aspect of their relationship, but in this case the sheer amount of it makes them both feel kind of shallow. Like, did we really need two top/bottom jokes in four panels?

Jesse Chambers in "Are You Ready For This?"

This was a nice story. It’s interesting in that while the subject of pride and festivals and all that is there, it’s really not the main focus or driving force in this story, for me, at least. What I thought was more interesting was the way it explored Earth 11 and all the differences it had between our classic Prime Earth, not just in the gender swapped stuff, but how it changes the characters and history, like Doctor Mid-Nite being the first out superhero. Definitely makes me more curious to check out the Multiversity: Teen Justice series.

Kevin Conroy in "Finding Batman"

This was, without a doubt in my mind, the best story in the collection. I remember when this was first announced, there were a lot of people who were shocked about Kevin Conroy being gay, but seeing him tell this deeply personal, sometimes painfully traumatic story was really shocking and captivating. The way that Kevin relates channelling all that pain and anger from his experience growing up in an abusive home and being a gay man in a time when it can be career threatening into the role of Batman I think speaks a lot to the universal appeal and relatable nature of the character.

5 Likes

Damian is straight. Men asserting their outdated patriarchal ideals that do not work.

god does not make mistakes but sometimes the Devil interferes. is how you fight that.

2 Likes

Okay, I think I worded that wrong, that’s my bad. What I mean is that it feels strange to add in something that is often used to discredit or belittle stuff like Pride Month in an anthology that’s all about Pride Month.

3 Likes

I am flying on my sleep aid needed something in my stomach bevore i can get some sleep so i may have missed something :facepalm_batman: :facepalm_catwoman:

2 Likes

I bought it for the Kevin Conroy story and was not disappointed. My wallet still yelled at me.

7 Likes

I know Damian is not the focus of any of these stories but I just felt the need to defend him for a minute. I read all of Damian’s dialogue as sarcastic in this story. He knew it would bother Jon that he was planning to bring weapons to Pride. That he saw something with a history in violence (that isn’t really violent anymore) and decided to just focus on the violence instead of what is happening now. He also knew that this would really freak Jon out.

So, Damian being Damian did just that. He freaked his friend out because he doesn’t know how to be supportive any other way. I laughed when Damian started pulling out weapons because that’s just how I read it. As him being a sarcastic, supportive little friend. Then him asking if they checked the floats for bombs? It’s all just so Damian.

I liked the cape but I didn’t notice this. I’ll have to look closer next time I read it.

I hadn’t really heard of this series before and after reading the Kid Quick story I am interested as well. The characters all seem interesting and so does what little we saw of the world too.

Yeah, it’s been a couple days and I am still thinking about this story. It was perfectly told and incredibly captivating.

4 Likes

To be clear, I wasn’t saying that as a knock against Damian, but rather at the author, who is just not that good a writer and I’m honestly surprised DC has started to hire her for work again.

That said, I will defend her a bit because after looking more at the straight pride flags, they’re a series of black and white stripes and while there are black and white stripes, they’re never put together in the flag cape. So I was wrong on that front.

4 Likes

Oh, ok. I don’t know her writing very well so I can’t comment on that. But good to know about the flag!

And for the record, I’ve seen these comments about Damian in other places too. So, it isn’t just you.

I was just happy to see him supporting two of his friends in this book. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I went and looks for the straight pride flag (after looking up what a straight pride flag is) and I literally don’t see it…I see what looks like a ‘Gay-Straight Alliance Rainbow Flag’ which I don’t think is distasteful but I am also a straight person and like that this is included. but I could not find a straight pride flag’s gray tone color scheme.

Well, I hate that I am defending Damian but it’s likely he brought his tools to defend the parade.

2 Likes

I’m going to get to DC PRIDE, but just saw this, and…

Oh my god that looked like so much fun… and so much drama. :smiling_face:

Before I didn’t really care about the Tim and Bernard thing, but this looks like it’s going to be fun.

2 Likes

Oh, i did not realize this would have a original story in it. I will be waiting to see if its put here before ordering it as I have every issue of batman urban legends so I don’t really want to shell out for reprints…really well Jason is my favorite Robin, and Tim Drake is becoming my second favorite after I learned he actually cares about Bruce’s happiness unlike the first.

3 Likes

I just checked and the only DCUI first book that’s coming out next week is Young Justice: Targets. Looks like the Tim Drake special will be here in six months.

2 Likes

still got to wait till next month money is tight this month and a lot of books I follow religiously come out at the end of the month.

3 Likes

I read this and decided that I am going to try to participate. Woo hoo for finally getting to join in on a comic discussion!

1. Jon Kent Story - I loved this. It felt very much like a buddy comedy piece with Jon’s boyfriend thrown in. Pride has been around for decades and has represented the struggle for LGBT+ people to have a place of gathering, even when there are laws that are in place that directly want to hinder the right to live. This was refreshing to read, for me, a much older LGBT+ individual.

2. Nubia Story - I wanted to love this, as I am finding myself loving that they are pushing Nubia into the spotlight. I didn’t though. I didn’t love it, I just sorta liked it. I did enjoy that the art style changed to a more classic comic look when the story began. It didn’t feel like it belonged in the collection, instead would have been better suited for a series with Nubia herself. This was my second to least favorite story in the collection. More on the one I didn’t like and why in a minute.

3. Connor Hawke Story - I have only known about this character on the peripheral. My dad was very interested in this character, as he felt it was a well done story to making him Green Arrow years ago. For me, I was pleasantly surprised by this story. The representation that was in his narrative was spot on for an asexual individual (I identify as that). It was so powerful to see this person discuss how they want to have almost the “white picket fence” life, but that they are not worried about the physicality of a relationship. Then to have it mixed in with a person just doing what they do as a superhero. LOVED IT. Probably my favorite in the entire collection, which was shocking to me. This to me, showed why representation matters. It can help someone understand their own feelings and why they may not feel sexual towards someone else.

4. Alysia Yeoh story - It was an interesting story, but I feel some people would have to look up the character to understand the inclusion here as it doesn’t feel as well spelled out. That doesn’t matter on a deeper level though. The story shows friendship and that is powerful and needed for the population that is being represented. It really highlights that transgender individuals are just people as well that can be helpful and be a good friend. That is so important. I was glad she got a mask, but I am hoping she only uses it sparingly. We do not need her to become Batgirl in the next Batgirl series, you know?

5. Jackson Hyde Story - I almost didn’t remember this one. It was a cute story and showed some very real struggles that LGBT+ go through, but it was just a story to me. Sometimes though that is also needed. A normal story to show normal living.

6. Jo Mullein Story - Umm okay, I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t LOVE IT either. This still wasn’t my least favorite story in the book and was better narratively speaking to me then the Nubia story. As someone well trained in LGBT+ related issues, I felt that this was powerful as it really reflected something that I have heard from bisexual patients/clients and also friends that identify in that part of the community, they get told that they want EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. That they are indiscriminate, but this is not true. I have found individuals in this community to be some of the most committed individuals when they are in a relationship with someone. This story reflects what a lot of bisexual individuals would love to do to people that treat them this way, so what a powerful story, but meh for a large chunk of it for me.

7. The Ray Story - I really liked this story. It was a very real story about what people that are still coming to terms with their sexuality deal with. How affectionate do I be with my partner? How do I have these types of communications with them? It was so real. Then to see the little moments with the response from the Justice League members that were around. It was beautiful. When one of the characters mentioned that they do things in public all the time, I was like YASSS!!! Every aspect of this was so good.

8. Kate Kane Story - I think this was one of the more “powerful” narratives, since it wasn’t told from the superhero perspective. Instead it showed how a parent struggles as well, but that they should love their child in the process. That they can grow and learn as well. This was a powerful addition to the collection. The diversity of stories being told and what feels like the overall reason they are included is truly mesmerizing.

9. Tim Drake Story - This is what a superhero story with a LGBT+ character SHOULD BE! He was still battling baddies, but still trying to deliver something for his love. This was awesome. It reminded me a bit of the older more cheeky and cliched 60s and 70s comics, but since it hasn’t really been done for the LGBT+ population it felt fresh and great. It was interesting to see Tim have a boyfriend though, as I typically saw him with Stephanie. Tim is a character I have loved over time, as I saw and read a lot of the beginning moments of the character. Throughout the years though, I did not feel like he represented fully me. I was fine with this and enjoyed this particular character anyways. Now I am a bit like, this one feels forced to me. I hate being in that camp though, as I generally dislike people who say that. However, I do feel like it with Tim.

10. Harley and Ivy story - UGH! Man! This was hard to read. The art and everything. I just can’t. I CAN’T WITH THIS. This was the WORST to me. While I wanted to like the “LOVE” angle of it, it just was so not for me. I can’t even spend more of my time with this one. JUST NO.

11. Jesse Chambers - Cute! I loved everything about this, but it was so a set-up to get us into the series. I ain’t mad about it though. I actually am interested in reading the series now, which I had not been previously. The art was good as well. The narrative pretty decent with the inclusion of villains that we know a bit in other versions. It was spot on for what I needed in my escapism into comic nerdom.

12. Kevin Conroy’s Story - OMG! This had me shook. To hear of his struggles and to personally have experienced similar issues in the world. I can’t speak justice to how important this story was, especially to show that even the iconic voice of a Batman can be emotionally vulnerable and show the heart of who he is to others. I appreciate Conroy for sharing this with us. I also have to say, I am glad they put a disclaimer before this story so that people could make a decision regarding it.

Overall, I am really pleasantly surprised by the collection and the stories that were represented within. These stories are needed. They are wanted as well. Please, DC make more PRIDE comics! I will definitely put my dollars towards them.

4 Likes

This is likely going to sound wrong but I am straight and I still enjoyed the stories so I agree.

4 Likes

Not related to this but is pride related. I figured it might bring some interesting discussion

3 Likes