DC Outlaws Superhero Marriage!

I just found this…
Screenshot 2021-11-22 8.38.53 AM

(DC Comics Batwoman Superhero Vampire Rape Gay Marriage | The Mary Sue)

It ridiculous. Sure being a hero and having a personal life is hard, but the doesn’t mean they can’t or shouldn’t have personal lives. Barry and Iris have been (or were) happily married for years.
Who’s to say Dick and Babs, or Dinah and Oliver can’t be good heros and married???

1 Like

That’s from an article that’s 7 years old. I’d say it’s highly unlikely that they still feel this way.

5 Likes

ahh… thanks
i just saw that this morning

face plam

1 Like

No worries- we’ve all been there!

1 Like

I seem to be there quite often. I guess it’s all a learning prosses

1 Like

It’s all good.

You saw something you felt was wrong and went to fight against it. The world is better for having people like you.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m on the naive side, but seeing superheroes have romantic interests is pretty cool. For instance, I think if all the members of Doom Patrol on the TV show had romantic interests, especially with normal people, it would open up new story possibilities.

2 Likes

i’m with you there. It adds a new layer to the character

2 Likes

This was DC’s official Stance when Ew52 was started.
All of the Marriages were annulled
Barry and Iris were barely friends, Lois and Clark were strangers
Arthur and Mera were In a relationship but not married yet.

And fans rejected the entire thing.

Since the post Ew52 Rebirth, most of the marriages have been restored.
Lois and Clark are married (with a son)
Arthur and Mera have gotten married (and now have a daughter)
I don’t think Barry and Iris have renewed their marriage in any official capacity…
(I do know Iris remembers being married to Barry.)

2 Likes

I think that makes sense for what New 52 was supposed to be, a place anybody could jump in. That means the relationships have to be reestablished.

2 Likes

true

2 Likes

Thanks, I thought I would immediately get backlash for giving an era I am very mixed on mixed praise.

2 Likes

It totally makes sense. Restarting makes the series better for new readers. I was annoyed with the “Superheros shouldn’t have personal lives.”

2 Likes

A Reboot in and of itself is fine.
And I have no problems resetting the relationship to first meeting in order to tell the story all over again.
I particularly don’t mind it if the outgoing relationship gets a nice send-off (Lois and Clark in the last issues of Superman pre-Ew5 got a pretty nice one.
And if the powers that be had worded it differently…
“These Marriages aren’t going to be put back together anytime soon…we want new readers to become invested in the relationships the way the readers in generations past were…” Then I would have been okay with it.
But to say SUPERHEROES SHALL NOT MARRY!..EVER!!!
was a real turn-off.

2 Likes

exactly my thinking. Esaplly when I read what they did to Kate Cain because of that. (linked artical in orgaial post)

I would not say I never want super heroes to have personal lives, but I don’t like it when stories get too bogged down in it. Superman was much better when he didn’t have a family and Wonder Woman is much better off without Steve Trevor in her life.

2 Likes