DC or Marvel

That’s generally the idea that I get from comic historians, and looking back, I can definitely see it.

From what I understand Marvel really pushed forward the evolution of comics at that time. As for now, nothing at Marvel interests me and I don’t know if it’s just the character designs or what it is, but there is nothing about Marvel that I can get excited for.

5 Likes

If ‘both’ was in a poll I think that would’ve been in a lead, cause I really like both of them in their own ways.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s always been DC. I haven’t always read the comics, but Batman- whether in the Burton movies or Animated Series were a huge part of my childhood as were the Fleischer Superman shorts. My grandma was a first generation Wonder Woman fan and my dad read Silver Age Flash and Green Lantern when he was a kid, so you could almost say it’s in my blood. Of course my mom was a Fantastic 4 and Spider-Man fan so I’ve got the best of both worlds there.

Don’t get me wrong, I like some of Marvel’s creations. If you grew up in the 90’s like me you were very probably an X-Men fan at least a little bit (I’m really basic, my faves are Wolverine and Storm). But my favorite Marvel creations have never been the comics- it’s been X-Men 2 on the Sega Genesis, the Spider-Man movies, etc. That said I’ll go on record saying I don’t think the MCU is anything special though that’s probably down to trying to get into it after it was over.

4 Likes

Nothin’ against Marvel, but their stories just don’t interest me the way that DC comics do. I feel like there’s just a lot more entertainment value with DC. Maybe that’s because there’s so many do-overs, reboots, and Elseworlds-type stories with DC that the TPB’s feel a lot more satisfying because it’s a more self-contained story, or maybe it’s just personal bias towards Batman and Superman.

3 Likes

In my opinion, though, movies are an issue of Disney versus Warner Bros, rather than Marvel versus DC. I admit that Disney might be pulling their CU off better, but comics are most important imo

3 Likes

True, but if we’re just talking about DC vs. Marvel in general, I think everything w/ the DC or Marvel name on it is fair game. I agree that DC is way better than Marvel when it comes to the comics, and still overall, but I can’t act like the movies don’t factor into my decision at all

2 Likes

Of course. Media comes in various forms. I do think, and this is just my opinion, that one-shots are where DC really wins though. I’m one who reads religiously, but I do go through periods where I’m too out to read in that way. Thats when I truly appreciate lines like Black Label.

1 Like

Am I the only one that noticed @CozmicCam set this trash can on fire and then walked off, never making another comment lol?

Funny you should ask this question, @CozmicCam old Chum! I’ve been asking myself the same thing lately as I reflect on things in this the new year of self isolation.

The comic book addiction that has ravaged my life and the lives of those around me started towards the end of 4th grade, the spring of 1964. Two brothers I was playing basketball with after school invited me over and while visiting, they brought out stacks of shiny new Marvel comics of Spider-man, X-Men, etc and offered to loan them to me to read. Up until then I was a sci fi novel and short story reader, and it wasn’t much of a leap to get hooked on these.

But soon afterwards, I was also reading stacks of Superman, Superboy, Justice League etc. Why not? Even back then I also liked other publishers like Gold Key for Magnus Robot Fighter and Space Family Robinson.

Today, I no longer purchase physical new comics. I do subscribe to DCUI, Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited. Monday is when I check out the new Marvel stuff. Tuesday of course is here. Early every month I check out the load of stuff from Comixology.

I’m enjoying DC these days more simply because of this community and the fact that DC finally relented and went “unlimited.” I am not a fan of whatever on earth this King in Black nonsense at Marvel is all about, and I’m equally not thrilled with that whole Dark Metal whatever that chained up Superman etc. Way too dark for my tastes in both cases.

If Marvel had a connected Community like we do here, I’d be in a real pickle, but they really don’t.

7 Likes

@Don-El I’ve been on. I just don’t really have much to say lol

4 Likes

Those are 2 damn good things.

2 Likes

Same. I originally just came here to read Wonder Woman and maybe some Suicide Squad and Doom Patrol, but these forums and the community have really drawn me into DC. I’ve never really been into forums before, but this group has me checking in here daily. I’ve read a ridiculous amount of Marvel (around 2,000 a year since I joined in 2012), but after getting hooked on the forums here I have to say that Marvel is really lacking in this department and I find myself falling out of Marvel and sliding into DC, and I don’t even mind. :00_dc_2016:

5 Likes

I like them both?
There are times I like more DC comics, and there’s times I like more Marvel comics. It depends on the current stories, who’s writing / drawing it.

If it’s an interesting plot with characters I like, I’ll read it.

5 Likes

I believe you’re missing a “both” option

5 Likes

I agree. I love the DC community, never been much for message boards before, but as time has gone on, I’ve met really wonderful people and had a blast. Also, I’m with you, couldn’t care less about King in Black or the Dark Nights Metal thing either, though a lot of people here really love that run. It’d be cool if Marvel did a community section, but somehow, I don’t think it would be the same as our community here.

6 Likes

I need better friends! I just had to explain to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM why dc is better than marvel

1 Like

Well, now I’m curious what you told them.

2 Likes

“There’s no denying that Marvel has better movies, but when it comes to comics, video games, tv shows, and characters, DC is better.”

Then, someone said “Characters?! Are you kidding?! Superman carries the whole justice league! Nobody could take him!”

To which I responded “Injustice storyline. I rest my case”

4 Likes

there’s my tedtalk

2 Likes

Tell that to Batman Returns, Under the Red Hood, The Dark Knight Returns Part 1, the Dark Knight Returns Part 2, Justice League Gods and Monsters, Reign of the Supermen, and Justice League vs. Fatal Five.

6 Likes

We were talking about currently. As in MCU vs DCEU

2 Likes