DC Omnibus Fan Giveaway

Winners of the giveaway are:

@keath - Aquaman by Geoff Johns

@AntLeon - Animal-Man by Grant Morrison

@HubCityQuestion - Wonder Woman by Gail Simone

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to everyone who participated and shared their stories!

Hey guys!

I’m doing a giveaway as a celebration of this awesome community. I feel very fortunate to be able to do something like this for such an amazing group of people. I do have to mention that this is not a DC Official giveaway, it is a fan giveaway.

There will be 3 winners and the prize for each winner will be one of the following Omnibus (the books will be bought from InStockTrades):

-Aquaman by Geoff Johns

-Animal Man by Grant Morrison

-Wonder Woman by Gail Simone

The only eligibility requirement is that you have to be 18 years or older to participate.

To participate in the giveaway, in this thread you have to trash talk Marvel and explain why Marvel movies suck- just kidding! The actual question is what got you into Superheroes in the first place?

Each person only gets one entry regardless of how many posts they make under this thread. (Hopefully) by this Sunday I will randomly pick the 3 winners and announce them.

So without further ado, good luck.

14 Likes

They all have the same tone as established by Robert Downey Jr in Iron Man. :wink:

I don’t really know what came first but it was a combination of the Super Powers line and all the merchandise that arose from it as well as those great book and tape Fisher Price sets:

7 Likes

Well, when I was super young, like barely in elementary school, my dad used to record the Batman '66 show for whenever I woke up, so I wouldn’t wake him or my mom (I used to wake up REALLY early). I used to watch about six episodes each day and loved it. Over time, my love for Batman evolved into a love for superheroes as a whole and I decided to get comics. My parents bought me DC Universe (pre-DCUI) for my birthday, and that’s when my love for DC really flourished.

7 Likes

This is incredible, thank you so much for doing something so amazing like this! :clap:

Even though I didn’t get into comics properly until I was in college, the groundwork was laid when I was a kid. I loved watching Justice League/JLU, dressed as Batman for Halloween a couple times, even had a copy of The Killing Joke that absolutely terrified me. But what really started my fandom in its current state was the video game Batman: Arkham Asylum. I got that w/ a PS3 for Christmas and I was completely hooked when I started playing it. That started a domino effect leading to other games, movies, shows and eventually wanting to start reading the comics

7 Likes

That’s actually pretty similar to how I got into comics lol. The Nolan Batman movies and the Arkham games were the ones that started the domino effect for me

8 Likes

Initially, it was shows like Superfriends, Batman ‘66, Wonder Woman, George Reeves’ (the Adventures of) Superman. Also, I must note the Spider-man cartoon (1966?) (Wallopin’ Websnappers!) as well as a short lived live action Spidey show and The Incredible Hulk. I am sure there was the occasional comic book in elementary and middle schools. I didn’t start collecting until I got into high school.

6 Likes

Superheroes have always been a part of my life, but I’m lucky in that I had an aunt who was a comic collector. Every now and then she’d send me a box of comics she was looking to pass on. Many of these were DC Comics from the seventies, so lots of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Brave and the Bold, and DC Comics Presents. There was a little of everything.

You know what the best part was? The house ads. If I was reading a comic at the top of the pile and noticed a house ad for something like DC Comics Presents or The Brave and the Bold, chances are that comic would be somewhere in the pile.

Sure, I had DC Comics Cards and the occasional issue to teach me the world, but there was something so special about that specific time, sitting on the floor in my room with a box of comics and just exploring the world of DC.

6 Likes

As with most other things in my life Lego got me into superheroes, but before i was obsessed with superheroes and it was a minor intrest it was my cousin who got me into superheroes.

Thanks for the awesome opportunity to participate.

7 Likes

I actually despised superheroes as a kid. Brian Stelfreeze’s cover art got me into comics via Shadow of the Bat, but I was strictly into the non-superhero worlds as a kid (vigilantes, mystics, demons, mythology, fantasy, etc). I eventually added Emerald Twilight to my pull list and got into GL, but still saw Kyle as more of a typical guy in a space fantasy world than a proper superhero. It wasn’t until I got back into comics as an adult via my mother-in-law and Jim Lee’s appearance on Face-Off that I started giving supers a chance. This was just a few months into New 52, and with the digital era (and adult salary) I was able to read more than I ever could afford or store as a kid, so I started to go beyond my normal comfort zone and read most of the titles. I still haven’t read most of Flash, Superman, and a few others, but eventually softened to most of them.

8 Likes

Thats an interesting story

7 Likes

I think it was either Batman '89 or Batman: The Animated Series that was my first real introduction. Either way I would watch those and the following Batman movies a lot as a kid, had a bunch of the toys and merchandise – I even had a photo of me at the age of 5-ish posing next to the Keaton Batmobile at a car show my dad took me to. Of course, I would also start getting into other heroes and teams when they showed up on Saturday morning cartoons – Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc – and not to mention the movies.

I remember when I started to go online one of the first things I did was look up more at upcoming superhero projects, and would see what comics inspired or shaped the characters. Then one day, when my mom took me to Borders, I had the thought “Hey, they should have collected comics here, right?” I looked around, found them, and looking around I thought “Oh, The Dark Knight Returns. I heard a lot of good things about that one, I’ll pick that up.”

And thus, a life-long obsession was truly born…

8 Likes

Both my parents were always into superheroes, but it may have been my mom more so than my dad. I think my first real dive into comics, outside of shows and movies my parents would watch with us when we were young (like Batman/Superman TAS & Teen Titans from CN), was when my mom took me and my brother to a comic book shop and bought us our first comics - Teen Titans by Geoff Johns. Ah, such an interesting time.

9 Likes

When my dad was young, my grandfather ran a drugstore which, like many drugstores at the time, had a comics rack. One of the few comics my dad picked up from the store was a Captain Marvel treasury edition, reprinting a bunch of Golden Age Captain Marvel stories in the 1970s. Many years later, when I was just 3 years old, my dad gave me that collection, which I read over and over until the binding came loose. I’ve been part of this world ever since.

9 Likes

Well I don’t think The Incredible Hulk TV series count, since I was a toddler, he really scare me when David Banner turn into the Hulk, it was either the Superfriends or Believe it or not The Greatest American Hero that got me into superheroes. :smiley:
Then came Spider-Woman cartoon and Superman movie.

6 Likes

It is a combination of being shown the Batman '66 show when I was very young and then finding anime/manga as I grew older.

I always liked Batman I just never knew where to start. I watched all the cartoons growing up, Batman: Animated Series, Batman Beyond, JL/JLU, Static Shock, etc. I liked comics because I was reading a bunch of manga at the time, but I never knew how to read DC comics. I was too scared to figure out where to start. Somewhere along the line I found out about the New 52 and jumped in. I haven’t found my way out yet.

So basically, my dad, manga and Saturday morning cartoons, are to blame.

Thanks for doing this! This is really neat!

9 Likes

As a young kid, I was exposed to a lot of heroes through TV and movies. It was Spider-Man for the big screen, but at home was Batman, the Justice League, & Static Shock. Loved watching those shows!

When I got into college, I was curious to actually read the original source material for a lot of characters. This is where I was exposed to the Red Lantern Supergirl, fell in love with Swamp Thing, and I did a 20 page Political analysis paper on Hellblazer. The seeds were planted as a kid when I was very entertained but grew to appreciate them even more as an adult

7 Likes

I think what attracted me the most about the Superhero comic books was the serial aspect of the comics. I really liked the cliffhangers and continuing story line that you found in the Superhero comic books that you didn’t find in the other books I was reading before then. Books like Beetle Bailey, Richie Rich, Archie were all one and done. I got a little older and started picking up the superhero’s. I never went back.

7 Likes

It was a combination of things I suppose. I grew up watching things like Batman TAS, Spider-Man TAS, X-men TAS, Incredible Hulk TAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Superman TAS, and Justice League Unlimited. And later on, after I watched Blade at a friends house, my superhero curiosity started it’s infancy with early 2000’s films like Singer’s X-Men and Nolan’s Batman Begins. In 2012 after getting to experience the conclusion to Nolan’s trilogy, I knew I needed more stories like that. So after a ton of research (googling how to get into comics, best comics, etc) I ended up ordering Civil War, and since Batman has always been one of my favorites, I also ended up getting Court of Owls, The Killing Joke, Hush, Long Halloween, etc. And the rest as they say, is history. I ended up gravitating more towards DC, but I also got a Marvel Unlimited subscription and eventually got into Image as well. I would say another thing that really pushed me into reading comics was playing the Batman Arkham games. Specifically Arkham City. After that, I immediately started picking up Snyder’s Batman run.

8 Likes

The early DCAU films were also a huge influence on me on my journey to becoming a comic book fan.

9 Likes

Well when I was young I watched the bta cartoon and got my first comics given to me by a pizza place the first batman, superman, and wonder woman comics, but when I was even younger before I read any I drew my own my first superhero memory is my grandfather giving me a captain america lunch box and explaining to me who he was.

7 Likes