DC Needs to Stop Glorifying Harley and Joker's "Romance" – Especially on Valentine's Day

DC would rather show a hetero yet abusive relationships instead of a LGBTQ and supportive relationship. Even if they were going hetero, there are so many more HETEROSEXUAL and SUPPORTIVE relationships they could exhibit, but THAT ONE?!?!? Not Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Not Diana Prince and Steve Trevor. Not Barry Allen and Iris West. But Joker and Harley Quinn? Think about it.

10 Likes

I am not a nutjob. I am a mystery man who dresses like a bat and impales people and metahumans with bat shaped shruikens. Then I recruit children to fight supervillains in brightly colored spandex.

Nothing nutty about that.

8 Likes

7 Likes

If I could award this, I would.

7 Likes

Mothers Day is coming up in May, so expect something like this from DC

12 Likes

yes, just yes. of all relationships why Harley and joker :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: their relationship is awful, abusive, and should not be glorified.

8 Likes

Maybe bring this up in OH?

6 Likes

I know the moderators don’t have direct control over that sort of content being posted outside DCUI, but I also didn’t think to bring this up at that point in the hopes that the message could possibly be relayed to higher ups who may be able to influence that. Appreciate you pointing that out

9 Likes

I agree they could have picked any other relationship except Harley and Joker for Valentines. However, if you ask the average person on the street to name 3 relationships in DC comics, they would probably say Lois and Clark, Diana and Steve, and Harley and Joker.

3 Likes

Possibly, but there’s also Batman/Catwoman, Aquaman/Mera and Harley/Ivy is getting more mainstream attention nowadays. But regardless, these social media channels are more dedicated to actual DC fans compared to just your average person online. Pretty much any other couple would get actual love compared to this

7 Likes

They look so cute together, and so right for each other.

4 Likes

Which comic is this panel from, please? Looks like a great story.

1 Like

I get Megatron and Starscream vibes from their relationship nowadays. It’s cool seeing them go at each other’s necks.

3 Likes

Harley and Joker being bitter enemies is the only acceptable relationship for them, though really no relationship is ideal

7 Likes

You who would be a good couple? Catwoman and Harley

3 Likes

I like the idea of Joker initially taking her in like in the original series but she wants to take his place and kill him. Truly the Starscream in the relationship.

2 Likes

Honestly, when I see Joker I never think ‘healthy and normal’ in any context, let alone a romance.

Whenever I see Joker/Harley, I typically think about crazy villain shenanigans… and that DC is just throwing two super popular, easily identifiable characters everywhere. EVERYWHERE!

I would like to see more DC couples highlighted. There are a lot of awesome ones, although finding two as recognizable to the general public probably isn’t easy. Actually, I can’t think of anyone other than Batman/Catwoman (for both being costumed) right now. (The other big two are with non-costumed partners as is Flash, and at least half of Aquaman/Mera, Batgirl/Nightwing, Green Lantern/Star Sapphire, and Green Arrow/Black Canary probably aren’t visually known enough… Yet! Go promote them DC!)

As to why Joker/Harley may be considered popular, for some people it could just represent the wacky schemes and antics approach these two characters sometimes get in other media. Hard to say. I think both characters tend to show up in more places than they should. I also think there tends to be some inherent awkwardness translating villains to more kid friendly content (e.g. a mass murderer can suddenly just be a class clown… Haha…).

7 Likes

@arkhamassassin, we getting any DC higher up Q&As anytime soon so you can as there?

2 Likes

I don’t know about you, but after what Joker did to Ivy on the Harley Quinn series, it was great to see him get his face slapped multiple times!

5 Likes

Nothing that’d be relevant to this issue, no. I just dropped this in OH so hopefully the message can get pushed up the ladder soon, if it hasn’t already

4 Likes