DC Movie Continuity: Save, Reboot, or Burn?

So obviously the title is a little dramatic so let me break down what I mean exactly. Do you think that the DC movies (DCEU) should…

1. Continue with the continuity created by Justice League and Batman v. Superman etc. and reconcile future movies with that continuity and perhaps keep most if not all of the Justice League cast as their respective heroes. (I.E. “Save”)

2. Dedicate a movie to rebooting the continuity “in-universe” to make cohesive sense, and possibly replacing any actors that were received poorly (E.G. Flashpoint movie)

3. Or continue to make movies without ever regarding the previous continuity and pretending any failed movies never happened. Replacing any actors who were received poorly and maybe eventually revisiting a Justice League movie with an almost entirely new cast. (I.E. “Burn”)

Don’t worry about what it looks like DC is actually doing with the movie continuity, I’m more interested in what YOU think SHOULD happen.

3 Likes

I’d have to say I’m in the “Burn” camp. The way I see it, Bv.S and Justice League created a lot of negative energy surrounding DC as a franchise and if you reboot it in-universe, it would just be needlessly reopening all that negativity in order to reboot it. If DC just keeps trucking along they can reboot without ever having to bring back all the cringe associated with the rest of the DCEU. Basically my thought are this: everyone saw Bv.S and absolutely hated it and very few people saw Justice League and those that did rarely liked it as is, plus it has been so long since these movies released that very few people remember any of the plot specifics that would have to be reconciled in a reboot and fewer even care. So why not just keep making movies that are endearing for what they are and not what they are a part of (such as SHAZAM, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman) to build the DC name back up and eventually return to the idea of a shared universe. Why go back into the mud of DCEU to salvage the very few gems that are so tainted by the rest of the failed universe? I say if you love something, let it go. And if you didn’t love it in the first place, then lets just pretend it didn’t happen.

3 Likes

That’s easy: stay the course! I don’t see any reason to toss what they’ve done. We’ve got Aquaman 2 on the way, another Shazam film, Wonder Woman 84 and Black Adam.

I don’t see the point in throwing the baby with the bath water just because the movies that the studio and Kevin Tsujihara interferes with were the ones that got critical flack.

The other two options would be the easy way out of a problem that’s not really a problem. Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 84 are still a part of this universe. They don’t badger you over the head with connective tissue but it is there.

My point is, there stumbles thanks to studio interference but they course corrected and put out some really amazing movies that we enjoyed. So why throw that away or change it because a few years ago there was a movie you didn’t like?

3 Likes

I think we’re saying the same thing. I want them to continue with Shazam, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman just like you and I want them to continue with them mostly or completely disconnected from Bv.S and Justice League. By “save” I was really talking more about continuing the plot threads introduced by Justice League and Bv.S. So, hypothetically, lets say they “save” the continuity and make another JL movie, it would pick up some time after Steppenwolf’s invasion and this new plot would be somehow be tied to the events of the last movie, Superman will have still died and come back, and most of the original cast would still be there. Is that something you want to see? Since JL they haven’t really bothered with continuity like you have pointed out so I’m not saying scrap WW, Aquaman, or Shazam, but should they revisit the plot threads of Justice League?

No worries @Mister_Assister. I get what you’re saying. This is more how I feel than a direct response to what you were saying.

I like that the most recent movies have continuity but they don’t beat you over the head with it. We know the events of previous films happened but the characters don’t stop the movie to have endless exposition about it. Wonder Woman had the photo Lex stole, Aquaman mentions Steppenwolf, Shazam has all the stuff in Freddie’s room (newspapers, Batarang) along with the Superman cameo at the end, and Birds of Prey had the Captain Boomerang wanted poster. These are small subtle things but they don’t halt the movie.

3 Likes
  1. Burn the Snyderverse and salt the earth. Recast Superman and Wonder Woman. Break into my house while I’m asleep and take my Batfleck figure. Torch my BvS Blu-ray and bury the ashes in the desert.
2 Likes

And to reply to your question about whether or not they should pick up the threads from Justice League? Absolutely!

Whether it’s New Genesis and Apokolips or the Injustice League/ Injustice Gang, there’s massive potential there for another Justice League story.

2 Likes

If audiences could give Roger Moore’s Bond another chance after The Man With the Golden Gun, then audiences today can suck it up and watch another Henry Cavill Superman film. :wink:

7 Likes

Nice Bond analogy @AlexanderKnox.

I would love to get at least one more solo Cavill Superman film. Even though it’s an origin mini-series, if they could take elements from issues 3-6 of Secret Origin, that would be one hell of a Superman movie.

The only hurdle is how do they explain Clark is back? In the theatrical cut there was a bunch of people coming to the Kent home to pay their respects as we saw Clark’s body in the casket. In the Extended cut we see Perry and Jenny there. Now, I’ve always been under the assumption that Perry knows in this universe, but to the rest of the world, how do you go forward with Clark back walking the streets? I think that’s got so much story potential for a movie.

3 Likes

“Oh, hi! I’m Mark Kent! Didn’t Clark mention he had a twin brother? Oh, thank you for complimenting my mustache!”

1 Like

@AlexanderKnox It’s a good thing I wasn’t drinking water when I read that lol

Part of me wishes either they just had Clark missing and presumed dead. That being said, I’m sure it’ll be addressed if we get another Cavill Superman movie. He’s not done playing Superman and we’re not done seeing him as the Man of Steel.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I say save. While not all of those movies worked, they still have positives. And if people learn anything from Aquaman and Wonder Woman i think it should be that these movies can be good, even great, going forward. Just put Snyder behind the camera and out of the director’s chair and quit with the executive meddling!

Is it ok that I’m a big fan of all of it? The Snyder movies, Justice League, and what came after those? Seems like people fall into one of the two or three camps (as stated by the options in the original post). I feel like I don’t belong in any of 'em :joy:.

My honest answer? I don’t care, as long as we get fun movies to watch with my favorite heroes in them. Reboot, save, recast…all good with me. The only things I ask is bring Big Blue back to the screen in a kick ass movie… and give us more DC Trinity action.

3 Likes

Right there with you @moro!

1 Like

My feeling is option 2, ala Flashpoint reset and keep the continuity and actors you like, but move on entirely. I definitely do not want anything resembling the snyder-verse any longer. I just have a fundamental disagreement with his take on super hero fiction. We like very different things about the same source material, so his Watchmen/MoS/BvS films were very disappointing to me. I would welcome a full scale reboot before I’d watch Superman blow up a city again.

1 Like

Ehh, burn it,

1 Like