DC Kids

Any one think that’s a terrible name? I think it’s a bit demeaning and will drive some readers away.

3 Likes

Yea, I would go with DC Youth or Young DC. But I don’t think it’s too bad.

1 Like

As a 28 year old person they’ve pretty much guaranteed that I won’t be buying any of the titles with a name like that lol and I speak as grown man who still enjoys Cartoon Network programming. A title that’s alitte more inclusive would have been better

2 Likes

Agreed, I hope they rebrand to something a little more general. I know there’s a wide audience who prefer lighter DC entertainment, they’re not just kids.

1 Like

Im assuming the Scooby Team Ups and Scooby Doos and Looney Tunes are going to the kids section

I hope they don’t put the Ink books in Kids, because that would be shooting those books in the foot.

1 Like

That’s a tough one, if I’m DC I want parents to know this are safe buys for their little ones (Young DC May sounds too teen) but I don’t want to turn off potential older readers. The tie-in comics to series come to mind. I enjoyed Young Justice comics based on the show and Samurai Jack, so you don’t want that customer to walk away. Hmmm, I say keep trying ideas.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay I don’t think we have to worry about that. DC Ink is intended for 13+, and they’ve said that 13+ books will be placed under the main DC banner. Books for 12 and under, like DC Zoom, will be put under DC Kids. The age ranges perfectly lining up with Zoom & Ink makes me think that that was part of the decision process.

2 Likes

I wonder if that means graphic novels like the recent Mera and Catwoman ones will be reissued as plain DC books? I hope that means more people will read them!

@Mae I believe Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale outsold every other graphic novel in May, so it’s not like nobody’s reading it.

1 Like

Don’t think it’s demeaning at all. I actually quite like having the label. Knowing something is kid safe is great for me as a parent. When I told my daughter about it she actually got excited to have her own little slice of DC.

4 Likes

As long as Zoom is Kids and Ink gets the regular branding I think we’ll be fine.

3 Likes

I doubt any parents will stop buying books for their children ages 8-12 now that they’re labeled DC Kids. As for whether or not children 8-12 would want to read those book, maybe not in public? I used to watch Kids WB and Fox Kids around that age and a lot of shows had 4Kids Entertainment logos splashed all over them. I don’t think it’s going to factor in much to parents/children not buying them, but will help in getting parents to buy them.

3 Likes

Personally I think it’s more important that parents are able to look at the words “DC Kids” and know instantly that the books in this line are kid/family friendly then whether or not an adult feels the name is demeaning to them. Adults, even if they may be reading books in that line, aren’t the target demographic of this re-branding and I don’t see what’s the big deal anyway. If there are adults already enjoying those titles anyway why let the name of the line they fall under in the way of that enjoyment.? I think this is a good move for DC to be honest.

4 Likes

@JasonTodd428, couldn’t agree more. Very well put.

Just proves comic fans will complain about absolutely anything.

@DJWolfmanJBeezzy Rude. I have just known many kids throughout my life who would absolutely refuse to touch anything labeled as being for kids. So I’m worried it will be harder to introduce young readers to the DC universe.

1 Like

I guess it really depends on the kid in question @Awesome_squid. I’ve likewise known plenty of kids that would refuse to touch anything that is labeled “kids” but I’ve also know plenty of kids that didn’t care about that at all. Really though I think this re-branding likely more for the parents of kids who might be interested in comics or in DC characters than it really is for the kids themselves.

1 Like

The reality is that the parents usually are the ones that have $$$ to spend on comics. They are what marketing has to be aimed for usually. Yes, kids may have an allowance and steer clear of “DC Kids”, but the beauty is that the parents have additional funds and perhaps a love for DC. Parents may still purchase the comics for their kids to get them into it. Having “DC Kids” allows the parent to know that this is the line for their kid if they are a certain age. A name can mean everything in marketing terms and this creates a very specific marking in the sand between what this line and the other lines will have in terms of content. I am all for it, especially during times where even an adult may need lighter comics. They would know exactly where to go. It is very on the nose.

1 Like

Completely agreed, calling the imprint targeted for kids Ink or Zoom was a much better idea.

1 Like