DC Hot Takes!

I agree they are both way too good for him.

I also agree about Hal Spectre.

This is now canon as far as I’m concerned. :rofl:

The JSA members from WWII shouldn’t be active superheroes in modern day.

6 Likes

Got a few:

Hush would’ve been more impactful if the reveal was Jason and not red herring…I mean Tommy Elliot.

Superboy’s original origin was better than the Geoff Johns retcon, because originally it was more personal for Superboy rather than putting him in the middle of Lex and Superman’s feud.

DC needs to spotlight more artists. I’m sorry but it can’t always be Jim Lee.

There’s been a recent backlash against Byrne’s Man of Steel and the Post-Crisis in general and I’m not sure where this disdain is coming from.

The Earth One books need to come back and be on a somewhat consistent schedule.

5 Likes
  1. yeah you are correct currently but pkj tried to explore something for a second that would have made jon interesting (being confused about how he feels about the twins)
  2. shes easily closest to babs out of the entire batfam and she is close with bruce but she values the symbol a whole lot
  3. no disagreements
  4. dunno enough about mera but good call on only having one atlantean character at a time
  5. in certian situations speedsters should be slower but realistically doing that would upset their fans so the better thing to do would to be to buff the enemies of speedsters
  6. yeah
  7. i like spectre hal mentoring secret in yj
  8. never read sandman is it really that good ?
    9.blue beetle was a good movie even if some jokes didnt land
  9. nobody no matter what unless they have done something bad should be restricted from any writing opportunity and by limiting who works on the book that would be limiting the ideas able to be brought to the table
  10. its really hard to get a good harley now
    the suicide squad movie (the recent one not the one with jared leto) and harleen are great potrayals of harley
2 Likes

heard byrne aint a great guy so people probably dislike his work because of him
and people dislike post crisis because it isnt new and some people think new automatically equals better
its a weird superiority complex thing

2 Likes

Byrne is kind of a divisive figure so that one I can understand.

Ive seen so many people dismiss or outright hate post-crisis Superman or the post-crisis continuity in general, often referring to it as something that needed to be fixed. Especially with Superman you see people lambasting Lex as a business man, Brainiac’s Milton Fine story, the Kents being alive, etc.

You see these same people praise ideas that stem from the silver age. They’ll rail against the post-crisis for making changes to characters they grew up with…which is all the more confusing when you consider a lot of what they love are changes made from counterparts in the golden age.

I grew up during the post-crisis era but I had so many comics from the Bronze Age thanks to my aunt, and there was access to silver age stories and some golden age stuff through reprints and DC Cosmic Cards. I had a reverence for all eras even if my era of choice was the post-crisis. There was something fun about reading a current Justice League story and seeing a flashback or a one panel image of the classic League. There was reverence for the classics but you still had the new stuff, too. But something happened to fandom that we have to tear down everything that isn’t our preferred version. I’ve banged on about I don’t like the Geoff Johns Superboy retcon to his origin and how I prefer the original, but I wouldn’t take the joy away from someone who genuinely likes that now he’s a clone of Lex and Superman. I wouldn’t rally to have this new version eliminated and call to have it back to “my way”. I’d simply state my preference and say they should enjoy all the comics of their preference too.

The post-crisis stuff seems to be a punching bag these days as a mistake, and it’s crazy to find logic in that.

4 Likes

If Lex has a greatest criminal mind of his time, why can’t he easily figure out that Clark Kent is Superman?

The Question has no face, so how in the world can he see and breathe with no face?!

Sorry @MatthewHecht, I have to say that Batman is my favorite hero, but how is it that he can’t easily be killed?! One bullet to the head is all it takes to end The Dark Knight!

As for Wonder Woman, I’d like to know is why in over 80 years she never had her own animated series?
We don’t need another Batman or Superman animation series, we need Wonder Woman!

:wonderwoman:

5 Likes

@Reaganfan78 x.com

2 Likes

I see my Doom Patrol take is too hot for this board

All I’m saying is that the book works best when authentically told from a personally marginalized perspective, and historically most mainstream comics have been written by straight white cis men

4 Likes

I’d argue Hush was pretty impactful anyway, but not so much because of the resolution

:+1:

:+1:

I think a lot of it has to do with a re-examination of the way he writes women, and particularly in how he sexualizes younger women

This is kind of what Black Label is doing anyway. Harley/Joker: Criminal Sanity, for example, feels like a Harley Quinn: Earth One concept.

Lex’s arrogance often gets in the way of his intelligence. He can’t believe Superman would reduce himself to a mere mortal, because he wouldn’t.

The material is porous and there’s a one-way visor on the inside, like how mascots can see out of their costumes.

“Theatricality and deception.” :banehappyhqtas:

Historically, the reason for this is that Warner Bros greenlit animated projects based on estimated toy line sales aimed at boys, so female characters never received as much focus. Fortunately that policy appears to have shifted.

4 Likes

sorry if my response seemed rude in any way
was not the intent
i just believe any writer with a good amount of love for the characters should be given a chance at writing them
you a probably correct about it being better when told from a perspective that can parallel it in real life

i just dont think people should be excluded no matter the reason if they were to have a story to tell with the characters

2 Likes

thought of another take

heroes having villain arcs is cool and lame at the same time in a way i just cant properly describe

6 Likes

I think Doom Patrol is a special case. It’s not just a collection of characters, it’s about something.

3 Likes

thats fair
i didnt think you were wrong for the most part
i just felt that everyone deserves a chance

im not the most informed on doom patrol so my bad if i was rude at all

3 Likes

Thankyou @HubCityQuestion, like what @wrrrryyyy12 said, I wasn’t trying to sound rude as well, I thought DC Hot takes means DC Roast, saying mean things about DC Characters just for laugh. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t hate this, but I’m not completely on board with it either.
Mera is an absolute powerhouse, and deserves spotlight.
But at the same time, Aquaman has always been a founding member of the traditional Justice League in the comics, and it would just feel wrong for him to not be there.

Going off on my own little tangent now, I want Atlantis to be fully explored the way that Gotham, Metropolis, Themiscyra, etc have been. Let’s give solo books to Aquaman, Mera, Tempest, etc. Of course, characters will appear in each other’s books as necessary. We can explore the Silent School and the magical realm of Atlantis with a Tempest book. We can more fully explore Xebel with a Mera book, as she gets pulled into conflicts of her homeland. Maybe we also have an Aquaman Family type of book that brings everyone together. Remember, we also have Tula Dolphin and others swimming out there as well.

I could keep going, I think I’ll stop now

:00_aquaman:

5 Likes

Hush was impactful but I think they learned the wrong lessons from this story. Most of the attention was on Jim Lee’s art. I’m not a Jim Lee fan, so this didn’t hold the same sway over me as it did others. I was reading month to month to judge it on the story, where others proclaimed it an instant classic because Jim Lee drew it. As a story, I started noticing quick it was about four or five issues worth of story padded out to spotlight as many villains as possible and a drag out who Hush was and what his motivations were. Jeph Loeb is a talented writer, but his mysteries are usually more concerned with the set up than the pay off. Hush was no exception. Tommy did not make sense as Hush. The Riddler learning all he did and setting this up off panel was ridiculous. And by the end I felt like it was a waste.

Sadly, it sold well and DC would start putting the talent over the story. You’d see this with stories like Identity Crisis. They got a famed novelist to tell a mystery that would have ramifications in the DCU…and it wasn’t even a good mystery. People have pointed out how the evidence and motivations for Jean Loring don’t add up and how it feels like two different stories mashed into one. But because it had a big name and it was “shocking” this the direction DC started going in.

We still get bits of this now and then. Look at how many big names have tried their hands on Superman with the stories they’ve always wanted to tell and they end up being awful or forgetable: JMS, Scott Snyder, Brian Michael Bendis just to name a few.

Hush set the tone. Yes, we’ve had big names come to books before like John Byrne on Superman, but at least people focus on the story.

4 Likes

Another “hot take”…I don’t like ebayers/flipper/CGC nuts at conventions.

You ever been on a line to meet one your favorite creators and these people are ahead of you? They’re the worst! They bring short and long boxes full of comics for one person to sign. They’ll hold up lines in some cases to get someone from CGC to witness the signing.
They’ll sell you on the fact they’re “trying to preserve comics” or “making sure people who want signatures but don’t have access to conventions can get them”. Yeah…no. They know for a fact they’re trying to make money off of this. They’ll go to a creator, put a stack of comics on the table, have them sign all of them, then flip them online. CGC is worse because they’re slabbing comics, which means you can’t read them. They’re more concerned with a sticker with a numerical value to assign a price.

I always tell two stories of experiences I’ve had with these people:

Once while I was waiting on line to meet Roy Thomas, I was stuck behind some flippers who were talking about going to other shows to get as many autographs as they could. At first I thought “Wow, some enthusiastic fans”, but then I saw short boxes on carts and knew what I was in for. One of them said he met Stan Lee a few months prior at a signing, then started to complain Lee didn’t sign the comic in the middle of the cover which means he’s not gonna get as much money for it as he thought. Wait, you got to meet Stan Lee and you’re complaining about it?

The second was on a line to meet Scott Snyder. Someone from the con came down the line to let everyone know he has a panel to go to, so there’s gonna be a limit of two books per person to sign. Some flippers ahead of me were LIVID! They started barking at the staff member saying “You can’t do that!” and “You’re messing with our livelihoods, lady!”. They were loud and abrasive. One guy in the back finally had a enough and shouted “Why don’t you get a real f’n job!” Everyone on line laughed and applauded. They suddenly quieted down.

Is this take harsh? Probably, but I’ve seen how bad it’s gotten. There’s a reason creators put limits on books per person at conventions now or charge for additional autographs. They get diddly squat from the sales these people make, so if I were them, I’d charge, too! Why should someone else make money off my work for doing nothing. And it paints those of us who want an autograph in a bad light by association. An autograph is supposed to be a memento of a time you met someone you admired. You’ll hold on to that for the rest of your life. Whenever I meet a creator, I make sure to get it personalized to me because it’s a cool thing to have, but also because I don’t want to be counted among these people.

5 Likes

Some good points here, especially with the Blue Beetle movie and about Chris Kent!

4 Likes

8Y0

4 Likes

I agree and will share a more postive experience.

I have a friend who is a comic flipper (has another more steady job too). He will occasionally gripe about bent corners or something stupid but then he’s just like “ah well, it’s going in my personal collection.” He also hates those people who bring a whole stack. He’s like, “if I want 3 or 5 signed that reasonable but anything past 10 and there had better not be a line behind me and I had better be paying the creator.” He has his annoying comic collecting habits (who slabs some of these books?) but you can flip without being a jerk about it like most flippers at cons.

This is another non-DC specific hot take but fake fans are a thing and they are more annoying than toxic fans. Yeah you heard me (or read me, whatever). I’d rather deal with a genuine fan who dislikes things over-passionately than someone who pretends to be a fan when they aren’t. Now, obviously those toxic fans who are just generally bad people (racists and whatnot) are the worst but my point is I’ll take someone who likes Batman that can’t stop complaining about “his sorry current state” over someone who says (genuine quote from someone I met), “oh you like Batman? So do I! I’m a huge fan. I loved him in that movie where he fought Captain America!”

Related, we all started somewhere. People aren’t fake fans just because they don’t know Alfred’s last name. That makes them a casual or new fan. There’s a difference.

Another hot take: I think Scott Snyder’s Batman run is overrated. It was okay but I’m not putting it on my top 5 list for greatest Batman stories.

2 Likes