DC Hot Takes!

What are your hot takes on the world of DC?

Here’s a few of mine.

Steve Trevor is often written as a reverse fridge. He was a male character brought back to life solely for the sake of his more popular and interesting female counterpart.

Marv Wolfman’s Teen Titans isn’t as good as Geoff John’s.

Batarang is a dumb name.

6 Likes

You insult the creator of Hawkman.

8 Likes

I’m gonna start with the same hot take I had last time

We don’t need 20 Batman/Batman adjacent books each month

7 Likes

6 Likes

frigeing was a dumb concept to begin with there is nothing wrong with someone trying to save someone they love or being driven by that harm in a story or in real life.

5 Likes

All characters should age at the same rate if not in real time. I’d be more of a fan of characters that had a limited shelf life. Imagine Jay passing the torch to Barry, then Wally, Wallace, then Bart. Sure there’ll be misses, but maybe more hits as people find a new on the scene hero that they can relate to.

7 Likes

No there’s not anything wrong with loving someone and wanting to save the person you love.

There IS something wrong when a character is ONLY created to die in order to further the plot.

Superman always saving Lois is fine, because at the end of the day she is still alive, they are together, and she gets to be a character another day with the potential to grow. What happened to Kyle Ryner was NOT okay. Alex was becoming a character and had the potential to be great, but she never got the chance to, not to mention her death was gruesome and traumatizing, and definitely would be if it happened in real life to someone.

I will agree that “Fridging” has the potential to be an overused term. I think it only applies if a character was only created just to die in order to further the plot.

3 Likes

I said hot takes. I see nothing hot in this take. :wink:

5 Likes

6 Likes

kon-el is the most interesting superfamily character

dc needs to let some characters retire

the martians deserve more love

and cassandra cain batgirl needs to be shown bonding more with bruce

5 Likes

Disagree death is a great driver be it a dog or a human.
Like in John whik.
or tiny tim for scrooge
Edit to add batman wouldn’t be a thing with out his parents dying
nether would a lot of super heroes.
Like spider man and his uncle ben.

6 Likes

I agree with this part.

4 Likes

:+1:

:-1:

:wave:

7 Likes

OK, some of mine:

Chris Kent, and after him Otho and Osul, are more interesting characters than Jon Kent. It makes more narrative sense for Clark and Lois to adopt an unlikely child than have their own given Clark’s own background.

Cassandra Cain should be the next Batman. However, she will always be closer emotionally to Barbara than Bruce. It’s not Bruce she’s close with; it’s the mantle of The Bat.

Wonder Woman’s queerness needs more overt visibility in modern comics. One sequence in a flashback issue 8 years ago doesn’t cut it.

Mera should be a full time member of the Justice League, and take Aquaman’s place as the main Atlantean character.

Speedsters need to be much much slower. Or at least return to using their powers to uniquely defeat interesting new villains with special powers and abilities all the time.

Just call him Captain Marvel. Come on.

Hal Jordan never should have come back to life. He was way more interesting as The Spectre.

There have been some truly incredible DC comics over the past 30 years, but nothing since The Sandman has ever been quite as good as The Sandman.

The Blue Beetle movie was actually really really good. Maybe even the best in the DCEU.

Straight white men should not be writing Doom Patrol.

DickKory > DickBabs, but honestly they’re both too good for him.

Harley Quinn is a great tragic character when used effectively, but writers always need to remember to make her funny too. (And “quirky” is not the same as “funny.”)

7 Likes

:thumbs_up_batman:

:person_shrugging:

:ice_cube:

:ice_cube:

[Anger for insulting my son]. OOC: very hot take, and what I am reading for. Good job.

6 Likes

[quote=“HubCityQuestion, post:15, topic:3425925, full:true”]
OK, some of mine:

Chris Kent, and after him Otho and Osul, are more interesting characters than Jon Kent. It makes more narrative sense for Clark and Lois to adopt an unlikely child than have their own given Clark’s own background.

Cassandra Cain should be the next Batman. However, she will always be closer emotionally to Barbara than Bruce. It’s not Bruce she’s close with; it’s the mantle of The Bat.
:-1: :-1: :-1:
Wonder Woman’s queerness needs more overt visibility in modern comics. One sequence in a flashback issue 8 years ago doesn’t cut it.
Mera should be a full time member of the Justice League, and take Aquaman’s place as the main Atlantean character.
Speedsters need to be much much slower. Or at least return to using their powers to uniquely defeat interesting new villains with special powers and abilities all the time.
Just call him Captain Marvel. Come on.

Hal Jordan never should have come back to life. He was way more interesting as The Spectre.
There have been some truly incredible DC comics over the past 30 years, but nothing since The Sandman has ever been quite as good as The Sandman.

The Blue Beetle movie was actually really really good. Maybe even the best in the DCEU.

Straight white men should not be writing Doom Patrol.

DickKory > DickBabs, but honestly they’re both too good for him.

Harley Quinn is a great tragic character when used effectively, but writers always need to remember to make her funny too. (And “quirky” is not the same as “funny.”)

4 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

She is declaring her devotion to my right lung. Of all my organs it is her favorite.

6 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes