DC History Club: Superman The Movie (May 2020) Quiz, Polls & Discussion

Per @msgtv questions

Week 2: Smallville & the Fortress Possible Discussion Topics

Special Effects: The most significant special effects for this segment is Clark racing the train and the creation of the Fortress. Do these effects work for you.

The train sequence is great

Building the Fortress not so much

The feel of the picture changes with Smallville. What are your thoughts on this segment and how it compares to Krypton.

Krypton felt cold dark rigit distant few signs of life.

Smallville was open vast young full of potential, even though the kids were mean and you had to supress what you could do in public, and you couldn’t save your own father, causing shame and guilt for young Clark

The Fortress scenes with voice-over from Brando allows the film to skip Superman’s formative years learning to be Superman. What do you think of this decision.

What I find strange is that for all the knowledge and wisdom.Jor el gave his son.

Superman didn’t make sny usr of it in the rest of the movie, ust relying on brute strength and speed, being over confident, not being carefu, revealing vulnerabilities to a reporter and generally feeling and not thinking.

And he violated Jor el’s rule of changing history.

How did that even come up?

Would Superman.even think of turning back time and know that he had the power to do that if Jor el hadn’t told him it is was forbidden?

3 Likes

Week Three is coming up

So we will discuss

Metropolis

The News Room

The Alley way Scene, which Patty Jenkins paid homage to in the 1917 Wonder Woman movie.

The Helicopter scene

The rest of Superman’s first night out in public.

Superman and Lois,
The can you read my mind flying sequence
Then Clark appearing to take her out on a date

We will deal with.Lex Luthor and his gang in.Week 4

What worked?
What didnt?

Any favorite scenes?

It has taken us 48 minutes into the movie before the Metropolis scenes start and this is the heart of the movie I think.

The love story starts here

Let’s discuss.

3 Likes

Super Fact

Geoffrey Unsworth believed that he accidentally caused the infamous blackout of 1977 when he plugged a spotlight to a lamppost during the shooting of the film.

The movie was filming in New York City on the night of the 1977 blackout. The New York Daily News was able to publish despite the blackout, because the film company let the newspaper use their generators.

5 Likes

Super Fact

Another part of the traditional opening of Superman radio and TV shows
Is in the alley way scene.

“Faster than a speeding bullet!” (when Clark catches the projectile fired towards Lois’ back).

4 Likes

In the Links on Location
The Daily Planet is discussed

The building at the time was the home of the paper The Daily News

They took.pictures of the News Room and reproduced it in Pinewood Studios in.England.

The elevators, globe on the ground floor and entrance are the real building

The helicopter scene took many months to complete and involves

Live action like the crowd
Minatures
Superman Flying
Superman grabing Lois and helicopter
All spliced togerher

2 Likes

I have to create a poll for next month

I am thinking of giving members a choice between

Hawkman
Blue Beetle
Huntress

The origin of these heroes changed radically over the decades. The title is now occupied by another hero currently, although the previous versions are still in play.

I think they are different in kind from the Silver and Golden Age versions of The Flash and Green Lantern

First they are way more complicated.

Sometimes a clever writer plays with us on which Huntress is in the story, the Mafia Princess or the daughter of Earth 2 Batman.and Catwoman in the great Huntress mini series in 2011 which leads to 2012 Worlds Finest. This Huntress kills and the issue of revenge is the main idea of the Justice League Unlimited Episode of Double Date by Gail Simone

And resolving the various Hawkmen are a vital part of the 2019 Hawkman series. A justice League Unlimited episode also deals with the different themes of Reincarnation and Thanagar, set in ancient Egypt and involving the past lives of John Stewart, Carter Hall and Shayera The series by Gardner Fox and Geoff Johns will also be covered, as well as Kendra and Shayera, the two main Hawkgirls. There is a page in Brightest Night where Carter and Shayera are together for the first time in decades with their memories intact and acting like a married couple. But Flashpoint came almost immediately afterwards and then New 52 negated all that, along with all the other married couples. New 52 had the Savage Hawkman which is best forgotten.

There were three Blue Beetles. The library doesn’t have much on the 1940s hero but some of his history is covered in the Blue Beetle 2006 series, which is much better than the 2011 and 2016 versions. We wiill also cover the first Post Crisis series of Ted Kord. Batman the Brave and the Bold video Episode 8 of Season 1 has the two meeting. Where the two only meet in.2016 Rebirth in an inderior series.

Any other candidates?

In a few days I will list the issues and tv episodes we would have covered for each character

In the same post there will be a poll, and there we will vote on our next topic

2 Likes

I don’t mean to interrupt the fact history,I was wondering, has Gene Hackman ever been interview on playing Lex Luthor? I don’t think I ever saw one.

1 Like

I’ve heard him talking about Donner tricking him into shaving his mustache and meeting Mankiewicz years later and quoting a line from the movie to him. But I don’t recall much about his thoughts about the character.

2 Likes

Gene Hackman intervirw

1 Like

Cool, Thankyou guys!:grinning:

1 Like

The Topic of the Fourth Werk is
Lex Luthor vs Superman

Often in a super hero movie a wesk point is the villain.

Is Lex serious or convincing as a villain?

Why does he keep Otis around? Is it because he thinks everybody but himself are idiots?

Why does Lex delibwrtly point a missle at the home of Eve Teschmacher’s mothet. Does he think he doesn’t need her anymore?

Why evidence is there objectively that Kyrptonite should affect Superman? How could he know that?

If Jor el says he has been dead for thousand of years why does Lex read in the newspaper that the rocket was launched in 1948 (and why not 1938) and took.three year to get here? How old is Superman?

For all the years in the Fortrese of Solitude’ wouldn’t Jor el tell his son not to reveal weaknesses or at least allow it to be published in a newspaper’ as in his inability to see through leas? And why did Lois ask that question.or that he was invulnerable?
Was she reading Action Comics? She knew he could fly was fast and had super strength that is it.

Why would misdles have their target locations be manually inputed to the misdle itself? And why four numbers? If a code how would Lex know the codr.

Ending

If Superman turned back time’ wouldnt the missiles have to be destroyed anyway… when does it happened. It seems like he turned back time to when the earthquake started but before major damage occured immediately. Did he take care of all that and we didn’t ser it or is it going to happen almost immediately. Why is he just standing there talking to Lois?

For those who watch Supergirl are the versions

For those who watch Supergirl are the vetsions of Lex Otis and Eve Teschmacher better than in this movie?

Let’s discuss.

2 Likes

Some box office numbers for 1978, a girl named Sandy, and a house under double secret probation where the only films to beat it.
https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-1978

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is that Superman would have been even more successful if it would have spent more time in Clark’s high school and college years. Oh, and it would need a few musical numbers, too. Clark and Pete singing Louie Louie, perhaps?

1 Like

I want to see both of those mashup movies

1 Like

I think they are better in Supergirl because they are more fleshed out. Not the movie’s fault, it has a very limited runtime.

1 Like

Thank.

I like them all better in Supergirl

Lex is hilarious in Crisis but also deadly serious. He is the smartest person in.the room. Sure he wants to kill Kryptonians but who doesnt have issues?

He has wit and never look s ridiculous’ even when he is so suprised when deated (agsin)

1 Like

@AlexanderKnox

We could rewrite some of the music from the Broadway musical on.Superman.

Clark sings
Why won’t a cheerleader cheer for me
Oh Lana please dont let me be
Oh why cant I telll you
Alll the things I can do
And I alwsys will be true to you.

Tomatoes thrown from audience

2 Likes

I bombed that quiz! I guess that is what happens when you guess everything. Thanks for posting the quiz.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of A Girl Named Sandy. Does that make me young?

That’s not the name of the film but a clue to it.

2 Likes