DC History Club..September 2020 - Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics, Expanded Weekly Polls, Discussion, Quiz

Silver Age Facts: Silver Age was the height of editor power at DC Comics. From Julius Schwartz’s Man of Two Worlds: My Life in Science Fiction and Comics.
Justice League of America debuted in October 1960 with Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman “with Batman and Superman scheduled to join the lineup at a later day…but then I ran into a slight problem of office politics. Jack Schiff, who was then Batman editor and Mort Weisinger who was then the Superman editor, felt that their two heroes might run the danger of becoming overexposed and together they asked me not to include them in the ongoing Justice League of America series.” Despite occasional cameo or guest appearance they would not appear on the cover.
"The circulation began to slip a little, I went into the publisher…
‘Gee, I’d like to use Superman and Batman on the cover.’
‘You go in and tell those sonuvabitches that Superman and Batman belong to DC Comics and not Mort Weisinger and Jack Schiff!’ Jack Liebowitz bellowed.

3 Likes