DC History Club, Muck And Magic Double Feature: Swamp Thing

WAL
Swamp Thing

3 Likes

Dick Durock is no stranger to playing a green creature, just before playing Swamp Thing, he guest star on a popular TV show, The Incredible Hulk.

In the 2 part episodes ‘The First’ Durock played a evil ‘scary’ Hulk creature. :slightly_smiling_face:
3b42a8b7be7cbed9741e9b3edc63c6cf
A year later, here’s a picture of Durock in the 1982 Swamp Thing.

3 Likes

@Reaganfan78 nice find. I really haven’t hit the original movie here much despite my intention to do so.

3 Likes

Added note above below intro on the writers on Swamp Thing’s multiple comic book series.

2 Likes

You tried

4 Likes

@msgtv, I forgot to mention, before Dick Durock became an actor, he serve in the U.S. Marines.:slightly_smiling_face: Thought you might like to know that.

3 Likes

That’s cool

2 Likes

On the other hand, everyone says V for Vendetta is great, and I’m like ‘this is boring trite ramblings’

4 Likes

I saw that movie once many years ago. I didn’t get it. It lost me. Haven’t taken the time to read the books or watch it again

3 Likes

I saw V for Vendetta before I read the book and I loved it. Of course it was right before I graduated college and was very much in a “change the world/fight the powers that be” mindset. When I read the book years later, I liked it, but wasn’t really blown away by it.

4 Likes

It’s like when I thought Imagine was a deep meaningful song.

3 Likes

All that and more

3 Likes

Humor can be an effective element in horror stories, but it’s not often used in Swamp Thing stories. Moore used it in his homage to Pogo
ST Moore humor

Veitch wove it into several stories with this guy driving around

But, Collins is the most effective with much of her early run interwoven with a light comic touch. Her roots of Southern Gothic, with its quirky characters, serves her well. More Swamp Thing writers could take a cue from her and even out the horror elements of Swamp Thing with occasional lighter touches.

3 Likes

I’ve now finished the Collins run. If you’re a fan of Swamp Thing comics her run is a must read. I’ve added more to the writer rundown above.

1 Like

Updated writer discussion at top with David Micheline and Gerry Conway.

Updated the above review of Swamp Thing writers with Mark Millar’s 31 issue run on Swamp Thing '85.

1 Like

Updated review of writers with Diggle (good stuff) and Dysart (not so good stuff).

1 Like