DC History Club, Muck And Magic Double Feature: Swamp Thing

@Wilks, glad you liked #40. That was one that stuck in my mind from my first reading it 30 plus years ago.
On the second poll question, who did the show translate well we agreed on all three.
Abby: Think the show actually did a better job. In the books through Wein and Moore’s run Abby’s role is damsel in distress and/or love interest. The only thing that changed is who did the saving and the loving. And, I really liked the book version. It isn’t till Veitch’s run the Abby starts getting some agency of her own, initiating action, forcing Swamp Thing to act a certain way. Making her a doctor with the CDC puts in her a position to drive the narrative on discovering what’s happening both to the swamp and Swamp Thing. And Crystal Reed is great. Only downside, no white hair. And not just because it looks cool, but it permanently marks her as an outsider.
Woodrue: Show gives him so much backstory, personality, motive. That would have really played out well if the show had gotten a season 2.
Swamp Thing: Looks great. Mears really acts through all that makeup and costume.
Talk about what they didn’t do well later.

2 Likes

What didn’t the show translate well?
-Everyone agrees they completely bungled the Phantom Stranger. It’s not just that most of probably weren’t even sure that’s who he was at first, he lost every bit mystery and coolness the character ought to have. And, wouldn’t he have been cooler to show up in swamp looking like this:
192920-53078-phantom-stranger

rather than this:
ps st

3 Likes

Abby actress interview

2 Likes

Crystal is definitely making the interview rounds on the CW airing of the show. Clearly, she’s passionate for the role. While she’s honest that the expense of the show is an obstacle to any renewal, clearly she’s thinking that there’s at least a chance.

3 Likes

I am going to watch
Episode 2 on the CW app

I encourage everybody to watch the show.

At least
Swamp Thing
Would be on
Justice League Dark
If the ratings on CW
Was good
If not a season 2

3 Likes

Just watched episode 2

Not sure how long it was
Says 42 minutes on title
But 54 in timeline

Commericial not too annoying
Put them mainly when less action

The story moves quickly
Greating ending line

They spent millions on the set
But hard to see much
Of anything
Even when I turned off
The lights
Which only helped a little

4 Likes

Got a 4K tv, shows better on there, but others just very dark

3 Likes

@dogwelder9 thanks for your thoughts, it’s not nuts to like Wein’s run more than Moore. Closing in on 40 years since they were published, this are still very readable, very enjoyable stories.
No idea House of Secrets 92 was they’re best seller that month. Cool.

2 Likes

I read the Winter Special. Wow! What a good book. I am currently reading Tom King’s Strange Adventures title and I have heard good things about his run in Batman. This was a very good story. I felt all the while it must be the kid and you do begin to wonder how he will wrap it up. The pages with the bear attack and also the guy with the shotgun stick out to me the most thinking back on the story. It leaves you with questions about the kid and what happened, just like a good Twilight Zone episode would. I mean, did we just see the ice age transpire due to Swampy being cut off from the green? Was the kid just leading him in circles? And did the football player really see a monster.? These are the burning questions we can only wonder about.

I enjoyed the last Wein story. The first time I tried reading a comic script, I didn’t make it through it. I guess I was distracted or just didn’t find the writer interesting. This one I had no trouble with. Very engaging. I liked being able to create a picture in my mind after having read his description and then comparing it with what the artist came up with. His plant transformation was much better than what I had pictured in my head. The eyeballs at the end of the stalks, I did not come up with.

Also, having the authors description helped me understand better the interaction with the bird. I did not get that Swamp Thing made the bird’s nest better by the art…

4 Likes

@Wilks that King Swamp Thing story is a little masterpiece of one-shot story telling. I’d love to see him on an extended Swamp Thing run. I think people make a mistake when they put Swamp Thing himself fully in the horror category. He’s a non-supernatural/non-magical character that has the ability to take on supernatural/magical characters.
I enjoyed Wein’s last story, and I’m glad DC published it, but I’m not a fan of Kelly Jones’ take on Swamp Thing. Jones has an unusual style with exaggerated forms and angles. His Swamp Thing, to me, just looks like a super bulked up Hulk with ribs, abs and muscle lines. Their 6 issue 2016 Swamp Thing mini series is enjoyable, but Jones’ keeps it from being great for me.
Finally, while there’s a vocal contingent that really don’t like King on Batman, sales were really good, and I think he’s run is fantastic. He does let the story breath at times, so it will read better on DCU than it did on a monthly basis, and there’s one arc that goes on too long (you’ll know which one I’m talking about when you read it) but overall for me a must read.

3 Likes

I have no idea how I got this score. I guessed most answers but sort of have enough knowledge to get by.

3 Likes

I have a feeling that this is the case. They did make sure to show Swamp Thing in the Crisis ending when showing all of the multiverses and I find it hard to believe that they are giving on the Swamp Thing character as the only reason it was cancelled was due to high costs.

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s been at least 10 years since I read it. Still very readable. What’s funny though, is thinking about it now, I’m not sure if Moore’s run isn’t a little more dated than Wein’s.

3 Likes

That’s not bad, see both you and @dogwelder9 answered that Swamp Thing didn’t kill for revenge. Full explanation below

When Swamp Thing gets back from space in Moore’s run, he goes on a killing spree against those responsible for trying to kill him. He was one pissed off plant.

4 Likes

Hope you don’t mind me posting on here, I made a thread today called, ‘Searching For Swamp Thing.’ So far everyone has been helpful, I wanted to know Where’s the best place to start reading about Swamp Thing, so far Alan Moore seem like a winner.:slightly_smiling_face:
In my opinion I think Swamp Thing is a very interesting tragic character. Would he ever become human again? Only time will tell.

3 Likes

Mind, any and all invited. My personal recommendation is to start with Wein’s ‘72 run. Very accessible, enjoyable and a great October read.

2 Likes

Thankyou. Will do.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not a fan of New 52 Swamp Thing

But just looking at it

Alec Holland is back as human
Talking to Superman
How he was Swamp.Thing

Don’t know how that happened

Maybe
Brightest Day?

Also