DC History Club May 2022 Gene Luen Yang From New Super-Man to Monkey Prince

I finished New Super-Man today. This was a fun series that also had a lot of important stuff to say. Great choice for AAPI month, @TurokSonOfStone1950! Not only because it introduces so many wonderful Asian characters, but because it addresses some of the nastier stereotyping in DC Comics’ past. What an amazing job Gene Luen Yang did! And good for DC in giving him the platform to actively call them out on some of those things.

I think I appreciated Kenan more because of how far he came as a character. Sure, sometimes he still makes bad choices or does selfish things, but his growth has been immense across the 24 issues. Plus his parents really are kind of the worst, aren’t they?

I still love Deilan - and I loved that before the end someone did call her “Angel” (like Diana).

But my favorite part of this series might be I-Ching. I only know the basics of his involvement in Wonder Woman (there are many eras of hers that are still on my to-read list). In this series, however, he’s one of those amazing characters that seems to say exactly what I need to be hearing in my own life. He did that regularly across the series, but these panels from the last issue are freshest in my mind (and may have gotten me choked up):

5 Likes