DC History Club, March 2020: Robin, the First Great Golden Age Sidekick, Week 3 Quiz & Polls

Yep, 100% agree. That was me on my Mini-Ipad putting in a short answer. There’s images that I have zero doubt are meant to titillate, you won’t find images of women hogtied and gagged in the feminist literature. But, I was surprised that some images in Wonder Woman look like they are directly lifted from the more radical feminist literature of the teens/20s. Lots of cartoons showing women bound or chained by men/society/motherhood, lines about being bound by men.
The two elements are not only not mutually exclusive they both appear in Marston as well as Wonder Woman.

2 Likes

Marston certainly was of the view that voluntary submission was very powerful. After all, in order to voluntarily give up power, one must first acknowledge and accept that one has the power to give up in the first place.

2 Likes

So far, everyone doing pretty good on the quiz. Too easy?

1 Like

I made a lucky guess or two.

1 Like

Never admit it. I just don’t know why you didn’t think I had been in the most issues of DC comics in the 40s

2 Likes

Here’s a new video about Robin. I don’t know if it has been posted elsewhere, but this seems like a good place to put it.

2 Likes

When I started this club, I was leery of using the “comic” press as a source. The bad ones just regurgitate others stories. Even the better ones can accept numbers, stories about comics without sourcing. But, I’ve got to remember the SyFy Wire does very nice work. This video is a good example, intermixing the actual comics with interviews of creators and people who actually have something interesting to say. Watching it right now and highly recommend it.

1 Like

I’m at the part where Marv wants Dick Grayson and Conroy wants a Robin. Nice to hear the story from both creators on how we got Nightwing and Jason Todd.

1 Like

Discussing the motivations for Batman to take on Robin from Batman and Psychology, by Travis Langley via @TurokSonOfStone1950

51dMgUpZlGL.SX331_BO1,204,203,200 Batman and Psychology

Through Robin, Batman receives vicarious wish fulfillment as he helps the boy get what young Bruce did not: guidance, crime-fighting as a father-and-son activity, justice, and thus closure. In their first case together, Batman and Robin send the Graysons’ killer to jail. Freud and Jung would have disagreed a bit on why Batman welcomes that symbol of his own childhood.

Looking at how past crisis lingers with us via processes like fixation and repression, Freud might say that little boy Bruce, having never outgrown that night, always remains an important part of Batman’s fixated psyche. Jung, on the other hand, felt that past conflicts tend to influence us most when present difficulties bring them up again. Regression, another defense mechanism, involves seeking comfort by reverting to behavior from an earlier point in life, like the toilet-trained child who resumes bedwetting during her parents’ divorce or the ex-smoker who lights up while going bankrupt. Jung agreed that boys experience the Oedipus conflict, but he felt that it was unlikely to play an important role later unless the man reacted to current parental issues (e.g., Hamlet’s ire toward his mother for remarrying so soon) by regressing or emotionally returning to a conflict long since left behind.

For Batman, Robin is not an unconscious symbol but rather a conscious reminder. In Robin’s debut, the narrative tells us, “The Batman thinks back to the time when his parents, too, were innocent victims of a criminal,” and he tells Dick, “My parents too were killed by a criminal. That’s why I’ve devoted my life to exterminate them.”

By helping the boy get justice, Batman returns to his parents’ murder and gets to experience what a better post-murder outcome could have felt like. Jung would also examine Robin’s role as a symbol of the Child archetype and that child’s place in the hero’s journey

3 Likes

Hey, everybody. As the month of Robin winds down had one more road to go down, thanks to prompting from @MisfitCMJ. While you can find The Adventures of Superman radio show available on Youtube, I purchased a 33 episode collection available on iTunes, Amazon, etc and started listening to it 1 episode a day. Luckily, it starts with Mystery of the Stolen Costume where an ex-con breaks into Clark’s apartment and steals a Superman costume. Who does he turn to for help but Batman and Robin. The first thing I learned is at least at this point, Bruce knows Clark’s secret, but Robin doesn’t. Only up to episode four so far and Robin doesn’t have a lot to do yet. He is a useful story telling tool in that he can check for fingerprints or do other work and just tell Superman and Batman, saving the listening from having to go through the process.

1 Like

There’s also a roku channel–

can you select episodes?

1 Like

Indeed. Classic radio something lol

2 Likes

Radio’s Classic Broadcasts

2 Likes

Cool. Though I like to do topics that are available on DCU at some point would love to do the radio show and Batman '66

1 Like

Perhaps this illustration may have been one of many of Wyeth’s works that Robinson drew inspiration from when he was designing Robin’s look back in the day. I also believe that Jerry used the first five letters of his surname when he came up with Dick’s hero name and that both Kane and Finger probably agreed with his idea and hence the Boy Wonder was born.

3 Likes

You can definitely see the inspiration

1 Like