DC History Club June 2022 Alan Scott The Original Golden Age Green Lantern

Also In the 1940s
All Star Comics used
Superheroes from
Not one
But three different companies

There were also rules

All Star was intended to be a showcase for lesser known heroes of these companies

That is why Wonder Woman appears as an insert in All Star 8

One sign of popularity was having a title with the stories of just that hero.

That is why Superman and Batman are not present in All Star 3.

Once Flash gets his own title, he is made an honorary member.

Soon afterwards, Alan Scott gets a Green Lantern title and from All Star issues 8 to 23 he is largely absent

In All Star Squadron
Roy used lesser known heroes

Three JSA Members

Hawkman
Atom
Dr Mid-Nite

And

Liberty Belle
Johnny Quick
Robotman

5 Likes

I kind of fell in love with Alan Scott in the Green Lantern: Sleepers trilogy, spearheaded by Christopher Priest, but the main Alan novel in the middle was written by Michael Ahn.

6 Likes

Thank you very much for your post

I did not know about this trilogy of actual novels, not graphic novels.

In a novel, characters can be explored in more greater details than in hundreds of comic book issues for the same character.

5 Likes

Indeed! And I got them in a Humble Audiobook Bundle from Graphic Audio, meaning they have different actors for all characters and very nice music and sound effects. Really great stuff!

4 Likes

The first time I got a good idea about the character of Alan Scott
Was in
The 4 issues of
The Golden Age in 1991

He was portrayed as a good man

The story is set in America, between 1946 and 1949

There are dozens of characters

Alan Scott doesn’t have many scenes

But all of his scenes have weight

This a dark story, except at the very end.

I just reread the series

It would have been better to me at this time to read a lighter themed storyline.

And I have to admit the storyline is hard to take.

But it is a very good story.

A post Crisis Elseworlds story, with no Golden Age Superman to save the day

4 Likes

Issue 1 of JSA was issued in 1999

It lasted 87 issues

Of the original JSA
Only
Alan Scott
Jay Garrick
Wildcat
Are still members

Issue 1
Starts with the burial of the Original Sandman

As Wildcat tells Jack Knight who everybody present is.

There is not much
Alan Scott in this series

Issues 7 to 9
And 46 to 52
Involve Alan and his son Todd
But are definitely skipable

5 Likes

Alan Scott also appears in
Justice Society of America
From 2007 to 2011
Which lasts 57 issues
Until the reboot in
New 52

Alan does not have a significant storyline in this title

Even the last arc
Where he is written out of the series
In a tragic note, in the last issue
There is barely a glimmer of this great character

4 Likes

The New 52 Reboot started in 2011.

One of the main ideas was to simplify the history of the DC Universe. Basically super heroes began five years prior.

That meant that the main super heroes were in their twenties.

The Justice Society of America has always been associated with World War II, 70 years ago. On that basis, those super heroes were in their nineties.

So DC decided to put Alan Scott and other JSA heroes on another Earth, called Earth 2. These were in their twenties now.

The. Earth 2 title started in 2012 and lasted 38 issues

Alan Scott was a very successful CEO. He was LGBT.

His lover was named Sam and Alan proposed to him in issue two. Also in that issue, he dies.

A Voice makes a very injured Alan whole. It makes him a defender of the Green and in effect the replacement for the Superman of Earth 2, who died defending this Earth, along with Batman and Wonder Woman.

Alan was heavily used in the early issues of this title.

Gradually he was used less and less, appearing when he was needed to save the day

5 Likes

This was my first time really reading much of Alan Scott, except maybe when he’d been mentioned in Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern, which I don’t remember happening a lot.

3 Likes

Dr Manhatten preventing Alan Scott from becoming
Green Lantern
Is a plot point
In
Doomsday Clock

3 Likes

This is the first of three posts that establishes Alan Scott, the Golden Age Green Lantern, as a LGBT+ character

The story is set in the 1940s

And includes aspects of his origin story

It is a subtle story, where the reader has to ‘read between the lines.’

4 Likes

Second of three
Alan Scott
LGBT+ character

4 Likes

Last of Three
Alan Scott
LGBT+ posts

4 Likes

Was just thinking it’s been awhile since I’ve seen you, @TurokSonOfStone1950 . I miss seeing your posts and hope you’re doing well. :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

A great compendium for the Incredible Alan Scot, it reminds me , that he was the real Superman of the Golden Age, the one other heroes took their cues from and looked to for guidance.Superman didn’t develop into that role until after the JLA was founded, as DC mainly kept him in his own sphere except for occasionally allowing him to play with Batman.
Much appreciated @TurokSonOfStone1950 , I am catching up on several threads I missed and didn’t have time for the last few months, and I am glad I checked this one out.

3 Likes

this thread is a great. I’ve been coming back to catch up for a while now.

4 Likes

I really like this thread (and all the other History Club threads). Alan Scott is a character I really like but haven’t read much of, and there are so many great resources here. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I 'm still learning how to navigate but found all the other threads. I’m going to be busy for a while!

3 Likes

Well worth viewing

3 Likes

My Reading List in the app has over 100 entries now, largely thanks to threads like this. :smiley:

3 Likes