DC History Club: Impact Writers, Peter David's Aquaman, Supergirl & Young Justice Discussion, Polls, Quiz

3 Likes

Yep there it is

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought about the history of character raised by animals. I’m sure it goes back even further, but at least goes back to Romulus and Remus being suckled by a wolf before they founded Rome (and the Romulan Empire). I wouldn’t keep the “talks to fish” stuff now, but David does use it to pretty good effect in his series a couple of time.
The journal thing, David really liked his Chronicles.

3 Likes

Week 2

Supergirl link is below

Issues 75 to 80 is one of the greatest endings of any of the comic book titles that I have read in the last 62 years

3 Likes
  1. This is my first time reading David’s Supergirl. I like it better than the new 52 run, which I just recently read.
  2. I think all comics are worth reading, even if they aren’t considered canon any longer.
  3. I am not very familiar with current DC continuity, but I think there is always room for a Linda Lee Supergirl. Of course, I am old enough to remember the pre Crisis Linda Lee. I still cry when I read Crisis 7.
  4. I started with issues 1 through 5 and plan to read the whole series. I am looking forward to getting to the perfect ending you guys have mentioned.
4 Likes

Gotta tell ya, I’ve read this entire run a couple of time and the ending arc 4 or 5, so read, enjoy then give it to us straight

3 Likes

I remember when I first read Supergirl (1996) I was shocked. I totally didn’t expect Supergirl to go on an angelic path while fighting demons and the Devil. The series in my eyes is far more compelling than everything else Supergirl related combined.

3 Likes

This is a nice example of necessity being the mother of invention. So, you’ve killed off Supergirl in the most important comic series ever, but comic universes like nature abhor a vacuum. A new Supergirl must exist. You start with Matrix, which doesn’t entirely work, then you end up with an Earth Angel and a troubled young lady. And, it works.

3 Likes

Found a short interview Peter David gave concerning his Supergirl run. For those have read the final arc “Many Happy Returns” David describes how he got there and what he wanted to do beyond that. David also shows he really doesn’t care about criticizing other writers, artists, or executives.
He also talks a little about why he explored ideas surrounding religion in the series. And, though he doesn’t talk about it here, that’s not the only heavy topic he explored. Several issues see a conflict between Supergirl her friend Mattie Harcourt and Steel over free speech issues. David also includes a long running story arc that deals with sexuality and gender identity issues that I don’t want to give away here. But, considering it’s the '90s and the deftness he handles this issues with it’s pretty impressive.

3 Likes

I remember that interview

What a title
That would have been
The two from
Issues 75 to 80
And then adding
Power Girl

I don’t know
What the villains
Would have been like
But I could see
Some very interesting
Interactions
Between the trio

I had forgotten
About God
As a supporting character

3 Likes

I agree with Peter on this. Those covers on three of the last six issues are like ugly wrappers on a delicious candy bar.

3 Likes

And, if the interior art were simpler and more cartoony, maybe. I think the interior is some of Benes’ best work. I bought this trade for my daughter when she got back into comics in her late teens.
Kara, Linda, and PG as a team, I’d read that.

3 Likes

I am halfway through Supergirl and liking it a lot. This is much better than the new 52 book.

4 Likes

Way better. The New 52 version, angry Supergirl, I thought was okay to start but she stayed angry. Then, right near the end I thought that one got better when she found some friends in space.

3 Likes

Yes, I was just starting to like her when the book ended.

4 Likes

Cool, we got some Young Justice research up as @TurokSonOfStone1950 preps for next week

1 Like

Added to Research Wiki

Supergirl section

Young Justice

2 Likes

Cool you added a bunch, including Fallen Angel which I have the TP of. I’ll talk about that this weekend a little.

2 Likes

Earth Angel into Fallen Angel DC
With David’s Earth Angel/Linda Lee Supergirl replaced by Kara Zor-El, David needed a new character to continue exploring his themes of spirituality, redemption and judgement. So, starting in 2003 he and artist David Lopez created Fallen Angel a creator-owned mature series published by DC Comics. Set in Beta Noire, Louisiana, Fallen Angel stars a shoeless ginger that’s part Equalizer part Spectre. The supporting cast is difficult to divide into the good and bad. Our favorite barkeep just might be an actual Nazi and the Magistrate appears to put equal effort into killing and protecting the Angel. After the first six issues, I’m left with far more questions than answers, and I suspect that will continue. Cancelled after 20 issues by DC, Fallen Angel was resurrected by Image Comics for another 30 issues. Image publishers didn’t do it for the sales, they did it because they were fans and wanted to know where the story would go.

3 Likes

Interesting

From Comixology

I have seven issues of
Fallen Angels, by Marvel

And 5 issues from Peter David 1 through 5

Don’t remember much about it
It had atmosphere
But was not clear at all
I didn’t understand
The power set of the character
Her mission