DC History Club: Huntress Topic for June 2020, with Polls Quiz Wiki & Discussions

Just finished issue 3 of Cry for Blood. More later, but in #3 the cross she wears around her neck in the costume is displayed prominently a number of times. In other versions of her costume a cross is incorporated into the outfit. So, why? Her crime fighting identity is not uniquely Catholic or Christian, she’s not called Saint something or other. Why does the character and why do the creators go out of their way to emphasize her religion?

2 Likes

Here is a link

That says Gail Simone originally wanted this episode to be about Barbara Gordon as Oracle but that idea was rejected, probably because of the Embargo against any Bat Family or Villain at the time.

I am glad she wrote this instead.

4 Likes

Does Simone do anything poorly. At it’s worst her BoP run is good, at its best it’s spectacular

2 Likes

@msgtv

There is more about her religion in Huntress Year One she prays in a church for example.

If you remember the end of Godfather, with the baptism of his child, the ways of the Silician Mafia did not prevent the mob members from going to Mass every Sunday

Helena as a child had a tutor and did not go to Catholic elementary school so it is unclear what she believed or practiced. But whatever it was, she learned the ways of an assassin every day

The cross is very important at the end of this mini

I don’t understand it because it comes from nowhere

She mentions the Sicilian way but without the Church.

4 Likes

The Godfather parallels was definitely something I was going to bring up. The use of church related rituals as framing devices for the story. In the Godfather movies we get weddings, funerals and baptisms all set against the violent world of the mob. I think there’s also a message about the events that bring family together for a group that claims to be about family but is anything but. (We’ll forget Michael becoming a knight of the church in III, that’s just a goofy thing in a bad movie). In Cry for Blood (first half) the funeral plays an important dynamic and is used to intro her origin.

3 Likes

Regarding the cross on her costume, I want to say the earliest example I have seen her mention religion was in the 4-issue mini-series. I still need to finish reading her first series to see if they go deeper into this. She also mentioned religion briefly in the Robin III book. I don’t remember exactly where it was but it was. It should also be noted that she has an inner battle with her religion due to her actions. This is highlighted somewhere in Birds of Prey, I believe during Gail Simone’s run.

For a more direct answer in Cry of Blood she mentions that she sees herself as a nun due to her patience for vengeance. Turok is correct though, Year One takes a deep dive into her religion.

2 Likes

Does Huntress Kill?

That is the impression you get from video

2004 Justice League Unlimited

2012 TV Arrow

2020 Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn Movie

The Movie’s Approach to Huntress
In a Very Quirky Performance

But in the comic books?

Looking through all the Huntress titles I never saw it

Except for JLA 39

But she occasionally talked about it

Batman Huntress Cry for Blood

Huntress 2011

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey 2016

3 Likes

I believe she does kill. In one of the many books, I read last weekend she had a list of people to kill. While we might not have seen it on the page, her list was definitely shrinking in size. In fact, in Year One this was a point of contention in a conversation she had with Sal. Also, it should be noted that while she did not kill at the end of Cry for Blood, she had set it up for someone to be killed against The Question’s wishes.

3 Likes

That’s what I hit on during Cry of Blood (which is great by the way)

In her training origin spread, she literally finishes by placing a cross prominently on her costume after stating she see herself as a nun. I think there’s multiple potential levels to this. The dedication and patience for her task, but also in her mind she’s claiming that her’s is a righteous mission, what’s she doing is just.

Then we get this, the mission is done in her mind, but also is she admitting to herself by now that she was not on the side of angels.

This is a great story, managing to breezy fun and complex at the same time. By using some of the standard tropes of mob movies, framing the story through religious ritual, focusing on family conflict as a metaphor for both crime and society at-large, Rucka gives Helena a solid fantastic grounding. I haven’t read Year One, but take everyone’s word that it is unnecessary because this story does the job just fine.

3 Likes

When you are reading
Batman Huntress Cry for Blood
It seeems rather realistic
More like a Crime Drama
Not like the usual Super Hero.fare
Where a hero interacts
Only with the villain or other heroes.

Yet
She see Helena go to class
But never see her students

We see her in her apartment
We even see her cooking
But never see any neighbors

She is gone for three weeks from her apartment and nobody cares
Except the School District
Which fires her.
She doesn’t seem to care.

Visitors like
Batman Nightwing and Robin
Come through the window
Not through the door

Am I wrong
Or does Helena
Only interact with
Mafia members and their families
And Super hero types
Including former heroes like Richard Dragon?

Well there is one panel
Where she is in Boarding School

Any other exceptions?

The bus driver?

She never sees the detective
Monitoring her apartment.

4 Likes

Finishing off the optional stories

Birds of Prey 104 108

Is great fun
Big Barda and Hawkgirl are part of the team.
And they go against the Secret.Six
Another title written by Gail Simone
Helena Bertinelli always choices the wrong guy
So she falls for Catman

Helena Wayne and Earth.2
Are part
of the Superman Kingdom.Come arc
Power Girl is given her greatest wish
To go back home in
2008 JSA Annual 1 Geoff Johns

Helena seems out of character
But we get to see Earth 2 and its JSA again

2 Likes

Week three is New 52

Like the New 52 Superman and Wonder Woman
This Huntress is really a new character

A well adjusted person who kills in cold blood occasionally
Very competent
Very confident, almost to the point of arrogance

Paul Levitz writes the Huntress for the first time since the late 1970s.

He’s learned a lot about writing and human telationships since those early stories.

There are twists and turns
And the reader in 2011
Might not have guessed the final twist

To give you the other two required readings would give it all away.

It is best to see her as a new character
As we did then
For maximum surprise and enjoyment.

4 Likes

Double Datevis my favorite, and I think the best, JL/JLU episode. There is nothing “superhero big” in the entire thing. It’s all these small character and/or relationship beats, that just flow so seamlessly.

3 Likes

Polls are up

Thanks @msgtv

1 Like

Post 55 Third Week New 52 (2011-2016) Two Helenas

Two Helenas

Must Read

2011 Huntress 1 to 6

Set in Sunny Italy, Not Gotham at Night, a Huntress contends against the Mob

Key Line on Page 1
“(I) Wonder how many corpses I’ll leave behind this time.”

Optional

2012 Worlds Finest 1

Further Explanation of Mini, then a New Adventure

2012 Earth 2 1

Five years prior, the Trinity on this Earth embark on a final mission to eliminate the forces of Darksaid, leaving behind two teenage daughters

2014 Grayson 1

Status of other Helena

Optional Long Arc

Earth 2 Superman Retuens as Weapon of Mass Distruction for Darksaid

Worlds Finest Return to Earth 2

Tom Taylor creates a great story where Thomas Wayne, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Aquawoman and a Zod who has never seen sunlight become the keys to defeat Superman and the other forces of Darksaid. They are aided by the returning Huntress and Power Girl in the last three issues of the arc.

You can go to the last three issues below to get the Huntress stuff as well as a summary of events on Earth 2 but you will miss all the nuances of the great new characters introduced in this arc and they will mean nothing to you.

2014 Earth 2 Titles
Issues
17 to 19
Annual 2 Thomas Wayne origin
20 to 26

2014 Worlds finest 25

2014 Earth 2 World’e End 1
This is next issue NOT Future’s End which is listed as next issue

Earth 2 27

2 Likes

This is for Week 1

1978 Helena Wayne meet Earth 1 Bruce Wayne and Dick Gayson in Batman Family 17 which is NOT included in Helena Wayne Trade

Added to Post 6, Titles in. Library by Year

2 Likes

Just finished last week’s reading of Huntress 2011. This is a great relatively self-contained story, that still gives a very nice window into Huntress/Helena as a character. This is a very kick butt, self reliant woman who easily carries the story. It’s also as you said @TurokSonOfStone1950 a great example of Paul Levitz’s growth as a writer. Helena’s inner dialogue is kept to a minimum and is used to illuminate her character rather than attempting to move the story forward. This is definitely a show don’t tell story, To’s artwork is dynamic, you really feel the force of Helena. At the same time, she looks fantastic.

2 Likes

The Quiz and Answer Key is up in Post 3

Thanks @msgtv

1 Like

Post 59 Fourth Week Rebirth (2016-) Two Huntresses

Both versions of Huntress appear in this era

Must Read

2016 The Hellblazer 19 24
Helena Bertinelli is ordered by a Cardinal from Rome to assassinate a woman under the protection pf Constantine lest the forces of Hell come to Earth.

Optional

2015 2017 Earth 2: Society issue 22
Last issue of the New 52 Worlds Finest / Earth 2 Saga.

Learn the fate of Helena Wayne, Power Girl and the other nine remaining ‘Wonders’ formerly from.Earth 2

Everything ends on a optimistic note, as survivors from Earth 2 now guard and help out a wonderful new world.

Highly Recommended for for anyone who read several issues with these characters, such as the Tom Taylor arc suggested last week, as the Earth 2 super heroes fought against overwhelming odds under hellish conditions

2016 Batgirl and the Birds of Prey issue 1

2020 Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn Movie

The Movie’s Approach to Huntress

Acvtvss gives a Very Quirky Performance

The Future of the Huntress

Doomsday Clock issue 12

shows several universes still existing
as well as future storylines
including the daughter of Batman

We have not see the last of Helena Wayne.

2 Likes

First, I’m only somewhat interested in Constantine, not enough to put in near the top of my reading list, so I would have never found this Huntress story without this. This is on my reading list for the week. I also probably need to reread Doomsday Clock.
On the movie front, have to wonder if her depiction of Helena as socially awkward will bleed into the comics at any point. It was interesting and made sense, but would probably be hard to maintain in a comic.

1 Like