DC History Club & Harley’s Crew present 📺 V FOR VENDETTA 💥 Book Club & Watch-Along/Scavenger Hunt! MONDAY 6/7 @ 6PM PST/9PM EST

Yeah, @Mae! Up top! :raised_hands:t2:

@Razzzcat What’d be the best option for a soccer neophyte, let’s say? Someone just wanting to get a basic intro before the Olympics begin?

starts to look up soccer on his sports channels

3 Likes

I watch the ladies too, kinda hope more countries catch up to US, Brazil, Norway so there’s a deeper talent pool and more competitive games

2 Likes

The qualifying games for next years World Cup are just starting, US has two in July. Really the best time to jump on his next years World Cup,

World Cup > Olympics

2 Likes

Mmmkay. Are those on the basic sports channels, or is it part of a themed, package deal like MLB All Access and the like?

is still noodling through his TV listings

2 Likes

US Men’s qualifiers I think are on CBS Sports/Paramount +, Fox did own the Women’s but not sure now

2 Likes

Ah. I’m not getting Paramount+ until around the time Picard season 2 debuts.

Is Fox Sports still a thing? Here, it was renamed “Bally’s Sports” (or something very close to that effect).

2 Likes

Honestly, some highlights will do the trick if you want to beef up on how the game works. The rules are pretty straightforward—the major diff is pacing. :nerd_face: Two 45min rounds of non-stop play. You see a foul, it doesn’t matter unless the ref did too. They call hand ball, there’s no debate—suck it up, and get back in position. Unless you’re watching men’s teams, then they often like to flop. :neutral_face: :-1:

4 Likes

Soccer is tougher to follow because the contracts are held by so many different broadcasters. It’s easiest to really get into the national teams men and woman’s. I’d get a sports app like Bleacher Report (free) and follow those two teams. Then you’ll know when they’re playing it will just be a matter of figuring out who’s showing them. That’s how I follow them.

3 Likes

Don’t forget England and France! It’s pretty equal in terms of talent on both sides, imo. There are some awful men’s teams.

3 Likes

Hey! There’s a great deal of truth in that!

2 Likes

See? This is why I hired you two. Teamwork! :raised_hands:t2:

feels a bit smarter about soccer now than he did this AM

3 Likes

The US men’s team didn’t make the Olympics, as far as I know. That stinks…

2 Likes

I don’t think you need Paramount+ since CBS or CBS Sports should be part of a cable package, no? I do have P+ and there is a lot of European soccer indeed.

4 Likes

Also, now I have a reason to watch this year’s Olympics.

I’m usually more into the Winter Olympics (especially when it comes to Speed Skating).

3 Likes

The flopping part or the way fouls get called? :laughing: They can give you the :fire: you need tho. I speak from experience lol

4 Likes

Right France won recently. The weakness on the woman’s side is further down the scale. You won’t see the blow outs in men’s you do in women’s (US 11-0 Thailand if I remember right). Don’t miss understand, love the woman’s team, but globally sport is not as well developed.
And, no one should have given US guff over beating Thailand like that, you respect your opponent by taking them seriously (see I know the women’s side too, maybe I take them a little for granted)

3 Likes

@Razzzcat, @msgtv, @Mae If any of you have more pearls of wisdom for this soccer neophyte, please do drop 'em, as I’m very eager to learn.

You’ll excuse me, for I now depart to the comic store. :nerd_face:

bows gracefully as he exits the stage

2 Likes

Well, I’ve always liked watching the Olympics. Like I said, I’m not into sports so much, but having the world come together, seeing the Parade of Nations, that’s so much fun! I’ve also always loved the swimming and diving events, and gymnastics. And the Winter events are lots of fun too, I like anything on the ice or the snow, it’s fun to watch, like ice skating or ski jump or even skeleton! :skull:

3 Likes

I played 3 years on base team in Germany and then later three years in Japan for base team and on a US/Japanese mixed league

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s more the opening and closing ceremonies that have kept my four eyes fixed to the screen in the Summer Olympics years than anything. The spirit of unity is quite impressive.

Winter though, that’s my jam (which is deeply ironic, given where I live) as I :heart: Speed Skating, skiing and all that stuff. My mom got me into it, big time.

3 Likes