DC History Club & Harley’s Crew present 📺 V FOR VENDETTA 💥 Book Club & Watch-Along/Scavenger Hunt! MONDAY 6/7 @ 6PM PST/9PM EST

:purple_heart:

4 Likes

To understand
Why
Alan Moore
Felt compelled to write
V for Vendetta

Two items

His foreward to the Graphic Novel

And
Margaret Thatcher’s
Speech to Parliament

7 Likes

Having read the series now for the first time in many many years. I found the opening third, very convincing and powerful. Too often writers claim some dystopian fascist future based on the slimmest reeds. ‘They ran out of energy’ or ‘conservatives are just mean’. These never work for me. We are never running out of energy. When it becomes too expensive for one form of energy, we use another. And, people disagreeing with you doesn’t create a dystopia. We are not becoming the Handmaiden’s Tale (perhaps Atwood’s worst book).
But Moore convinces me here, nuclear devastation, starvation, government collapse. That could do it. Accepting safety, these people gave up liberty and a slice of humanity.
And of course, all dictatorships whatever their bent, suck. The people in power will abuse it and abuse the less powerful. And the dictatorship, whatever its bent, needs to be challenged. I find V’s initial strikes against the government well thought out and powerful. Taking in Eve, brings us inside and gives us a real person to root for. Up to this point, I’m with Moore.

11 Likes

Nice analysis, I wasn’t sure if we’d started the reading yet, since no one had posted about the book. I’ll get it on it now.

7 Likes

Absolutely, love to hear your take and tell me how utterly wrong and misguided I am.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, you’re free to let ‘er rip whenever you’re ready @discordia57–between now an showtime. :purple_heart: Book and movie.

Ps. I’ve always really liked this cover, so I’m gonna leave this right here…

@TheCosmicMoth you’ve probably read this one, but I’d love to read whatcha thought if you get a chance. :nerd_face:

8 Likes

Agree @msgtv. Usually these kinds of stories take what feels like narrative-low-hanging fruit, but Moore didn’t do that, and added a layer of ambiguity to boot- imo, that’s what makes the story so striking. We could all see it happening, so everything that we learn takes place is that more more powerful in its meaning. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Oh, it’s coming @Razzzcat! I’m halfway through this read-through. This story… it makes me feel a lot of things…

8 Likes

@TheCosmicMoth is getting the feels from this book. Been there.

7 Likes

:hugs: MOTHS HERE! :green_heart:
Me too. I’m going to have to come back with a more in depth response…or two, lol!

8 Likes

Maybe this book should come with a “feelings” warning?

7 Likes

:rotating_light: WARNING: May cause feels. :white_check_mark:

:laughing: I should totally put that in the header.

10 Likes

8 Likes

One of my favourite movies, and on my birthday?
Ooooh….maybe I could push happy hour drinks to the day before…

9 Likes

8 Likes

Better yet, drinks during the WAL! Fun!

8 Likes

@gwynerso We’re going to have a bit of a game, that could easily double as a drinking game…just sayin. :laughing:
:purple_heart: I’ll drink w/ ya if you can make it.

8 Likes

More of a whisky or mojito human myself…although, I have been known to down a mimosa or two at brunch

7 Likes

:hugs:

6 Likes

:tumbler_glass: same. I do like champagne a whole lot too. :dancer:t2:

7 Likes