DC History Club Blue Beetle: Dan, Ted & Jaime

4 Likes

Blue Beetle Fact Droppings: Beetle Radio
All the big stars had one. The Shadow, Green Hornet, Superman (with his pals Batman and Robin appearing), Blackhawk, even Hop Harrigan. So, the King of Comics got his star a radio show too. In May 1940, Blue Beetle hit the air with a syndicated show. The original actor playing Beetle/Dan did four episodes and quit. Like the comic and newspaper strip, radioā€™s Blue Beetle changed powers or used inventions to suit the story, from invisible paint to an X-Ray camera. The show even lifted a story from Superman in Action Comics. Airing at its peak on about 80 stations, The Blue Beetle ā€œFriend of the Unfortunate, Enemy of Criminalsā€ lasted four months.

Listen up to episodes right here.

4 Likes

Did someone already mention thereā€™s already 1940ā€™s Blue Beetle public domain with ability to download issues with no modern commercial interruption?

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php%3Fcid%3D334&ved=2ahUKEwjgx7PcopjvAhXumuAKHXBkBlMQFjABegQIEBAO&usg=AOvVaw1pRi-NoeATT38lqhU8-ES3

6 Likes

Had another site linked somewhere above p, it thanks for more. Always good to have access to these books.

4 Likes

The 1940 Blue Beetle radio program is DCā€™s second oldest radio show (only Superman came earlier). Likewise, BB is only the second instance in history of DC characters being portrayed by actors. Several of the radio episodes were adaptions from the comics. Blue Beetle issue #2 had no less than 5 stories turned into radio episodes.

5 Likes

Cool, bringing the deep Beetle facts

2 Likes

Here at the DC History Club we follow the old Thangarian proverb, trust but verify. So, initial radio show appearances by DC characters.
Superman: February, 1940 (syndicated, later Mutual)
Blue Beetle: May, 1940 (syndicated)
Hop Harrigan: Aug, 1942 (ABC, later Mutual)
Batman and Robin appear on Superman: May, 1945
Blackhawk: Sep, 1950 (ABC)

Batman and Robin was the one I was really wondering about, but best I can find they donā€™t show up till '45.

4 Likes

Week 2 Week 2 is open. Check out the original Ted Kord stories by Steve Ditko. You wonā€™t be sorry.

3 Likes

I was always intrigued by Dan Garrett, when I was a kid. I managed to find a golden age issue in terrible condition, and loved having it, but as Iā€™ve said before Tedā€™s my guy, even though he never got the beetle scarab powers. I also got my hands on a copy of his first appearance, when I was in high school, that was a sweet find for me back in the day. My friends laughed at me in the store, but I didnā€™t care. That issue is still a prized piece in my collection. Though it isnā€™t worth a lot, the sentimental value is enough. I always liked that Kord was a light hearted Batman type. I love Bats, but sometimes its nice to see a guy having fun with his heroics and gadgets. Plus, he was created by Ditko and Iā€™ve always been a huge fan of his.

3 Likes

Very cool memories of Blue Beetle. Read those original Steve Ditko stories for the first time a couple of months ago. Was very pleasantly surprised by how good they are. Reading about Kord, you find a lot of comic talent that loved those Ditko stories and were very influenced by them.

3 Likes

The most obvious example is Night Owl in Watchmen.

3 Likes

Was going to talk about that at some point, but have nothing preppedā€¦

2 Likes

Ted Kord and Night Owl share at least these things

Both are legacy heroes

Both have unique flying machines

Both have no super powers

Both are inventors

4 Likes

I had no idea he wasnā€™t originally a Charlton character. Iā€™ve never heard of this other company, before.

2 Likes

Cool, Fox Comics is a whole story on its own. They even tried to sell their own version of Coke.

2 Likes

Now im interested!

3 Likes

Kooba Cola
In 1940, ads for an oversized cola that would sell for 5 cents only at newsstands began appearing in Fox comics such as the Big Three. Another idea of Foxā€™s to strike it rich, the soda was pushed with coupons in the comics and a bottle cap redemption program. Kids were told to ask their news sellers for the new soda with Vitamin B1 in it. The plan was to have a generic soda bottler produce the cola for Fox who would use the same system they had for selling comics. Unfortunately, no one at Fox Comics ever remembered a single bottle being sold.

5 Likes

Little known fact, there are actually 4 Beetlesā€¦ Dan, Ted, Jaimeā€¦ and Ringo.

Sorry, been waiting since the day DC Universe launced for an opening to do that jokeā€¦ Iā€™ll show myself out.

8 Likes

3 Likes

That is a cool fact. A soda with B-1 in it, kinda seems counter productive. :laughing:

2 Likes