DC History Club, April 2020: Suicide Squad Pt 1, The Brave and the Bold to Ostrander Discussion, Polls and Quiz

Sad news to report this morning. Two more members of [redacted classified] died in the line of duty. [Redacted classified] was [redacted] while [redacted]. Even more shocking [redacted] long-time [redacted] died in [redacted] while [redacted]. New stars have been added to the [redacted]. The nation thanks them for their service.

2 Likes

Squad Facts: While most closely associated with Suicide Squad today, John Ostrander has considerable comic book writing credits. Just a few of the highlights:

First Comics
• Grimjack #1–81 (1984–1991)

DC Comics

• Doom Patrol and Suicide Squad #1 (1988)
  • Firestorm the Nuclear Man #65–100, Annual #5 (1987–1990)
  • Fury of Firestorm #55–56, 58–64 (1987)
  • Hawkworld vol. 2 #1–32, Annual #1–3 (1990–1993)
  • Manhunter #1–23 (1988–1990)
  • Suicide Squad #67 (“Blackest Night” one-shot crossover) (2010)
  • Suicide Squad: Raise the Flag #1–8 (2007–2008)
  • Spectre vol. 3 #0, #1–62, Annual #1 (1992–1998)
  • The Martian Manhunter #1-23 (1988-1990)

Marvel Comics
• Heroes for Hire #1–19 (1997–1999)
• Punisher vol. 3 #1–18 (1995–1997)

Dark Horse Comics

• Multiple Star Wars comics series from 2000 through 2013
2 Likes

Didnt he write

A run on.spectre
A Martian.Manhunter series?

I think so but didnt look.it up.

1 Like

I need to look as well, the list wasn’t complete going with longer runs.

1 Like

You’re right, a lot of Spectre, trusted a source I never trust. I hang my head in shame. Will figure out tomorrow

3 Likes

Looks like Martian Manhunter 1998
36 issues in library
First and last issue by Ostrander

3 Likes

fixed

2 Likes

Squad Fact: Ostrander based his version of Deadshot on a mob enforcer:
"I’d seen a television interview with a convicted killer from the mob…one of the most stone-cold people I’ve ever seen in my life. His eyes were very dead. One thing in particular that I found very chilling, he said “My life doesn’t mean anything to me, why should your life?”

3 Likes

Perhaps notorious Genovese, Gambino and DeCavalcante crime family contracted hitman Richard Kuklinski was the template Ostrander used to reimagine Deadshot? Richard Kuklinski | Biography, Crimes, & Facts | Britannica

Here’s that Ostrander interview featuring his discussion about Deadshot- John Ostrander Talks 'Suicide Squad: War Crimes'

1 Like

That’s a pretty wild bio

1 Like

Early days in the polls but so far a spilt opinion on whether this is an historically significant comic series. My quick rational for voting yes is based on a couple of points. First, adding another viable team for DC to play with in comics, television, animation and movies adds depth to the DC universe and has become an important economic asset. Second, the addition of Amanda Waller and Oracle (though that was thrown away), and the elevation of other characters particularly Deadshot had a significant impact on DC story telling for nearly 30 years now. Those are the primary reasons, but I think the diverse nature of the team and more directly addressing real-world conflict and politics are also helpful. This series isn’t Showcase #4 or COIE, but I do think it matters historically.

2 Likes

Metropolis is on fire, with reporting that new stars have been added to the Suicide Squad memorial wall. With half the team hijacked to [redacted] and the other half disobeying orders to come to their aid, [redacted], [redacted] and long-time [redacted] and [redacted] foe [redacted] all lost their lives. More as information becomes available.

1 Like

Squad Fact: From Suicide Squad editor Robert Greenberger: Ostrander first pitched Challengers of the Unknown, but it was taken. Legal would circulate a list of titles that needed to be used or DC might lose the trademark, and Suicide Squad was on the list.

3 Likes

Reports are in that a new star has appeared on the so-called Suicide Squad’s wall of the dead. Another government funded meta-human attack, this time on the sovereign nation of [transmission blocked]. It’s a wonder the entire [transmission blocked] didn’t go up in a fiery ball of flame. And isn’t Amanda Waller supposed to be in prison? Sources tell our program that [transmission blocked] was locked in a death grip with [transmission blocked] when he took a load of [transmission blocked] to the face. But, no fear friends I’ve got the evidence in front of me to blow the lid off…TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, WE NOW JOIN A GOTHAM KNIGHT’S GAME IN PROGRESS

1 Like

Ostrander is a very uneven writer.

I am a big Hawkman fan. His version.was terrible. Even New 52 Savage Hawkman was better. Both stress the Savage part.

Except for a brief Captain Atom vs Firestorm battle, nothing in his version.of Firestorm works either

But Sucide Squad from issues 17 on, one good issue after another. My favorite was Captain Boomerang impersonation of Mirror Master as BOTH on the same misdion. Very funny.

I completely agree that the series picks up around where you say. I’m on 53 now and all of my favorite arcs and individual issues happen after about the first year and a half of the run. Some ideas why will dig into in a little bit.

2 Likes

So, I do think this series takes a significant step up in quality and consistency around issue #17. By this time, Ostrander has been building his subplots, where much of the characterization happens, and they begin to pay off in the main story lines. Deadshot builds into the Deadshot mini-series which culminates in Suicide Squad #22 is just one example. Once he pulled this off, Ostrander would do this again with characters like Duchess, Bronze Tiger, Amanda herself, Oracle and more. For the most part, these work. This is also around the time that we start seeing Kim Yale officially listed as a co-writer. Ostrander has described passing chapters back and forth with her, each making their changes. Not only does she take some protective ownership of the female characters, her arrival coincides with more humor in the series. The banter is better and the series even tries a few full humor issues. Whether that was Yale or the interaction between the two, it really helps lift the downtime parts of the series.
I’m on issue 54, part of the Dragon’s Hoard arc, and for me the only major misstep after #17 is the Janus Directive an 11 part crossover with Checkmate, Firestorm and Manhunter. It’s not bad and parts of it are entertaining, but like a lot of mega stories like this the story lags over so many issues.

2 Likes

Slogging through the Janus Directive lost me three hours of my life that I cant get back.

Not recommended to anybody. Ever

2 Likes

I really like Firestorm’s line in one of those issues, though. “I don’t have power. I AM power.”

It’s been a long time since I’ve read that crossover, however I do vaguely remember not enjoying it very much when it came out.

3 Likes

There’s some good stuff in it, but like a lot of the mega crossovers, it could have been half as long and been much better for it. The good news is I think that’s the last big misstep in the series. I’m up to 60 now.

2 Likes