DC History Club: 1990s DC TV Double Feature: Lois and Clark

Yes that new krypton stuff surprisingly had me hooked. They really were pushing budget limits in there and upping everything. Plus it was kinda awesome to see Mallory from Family Ties show up!

3 Likes

I wondered who that was

Watched two more episodes

I found the wedding episode 3 bizarre

Episode 4 was good with Tempus and HG.Wells, set in Robin Hood and Wild West eras due to time travel.

3 Likes

Halfway through
Season.4

Episode 11 “'Twas the Night Before Mxymas”
Is the best episode so far

Christmas Eve

An imp from the fifth dimension named Mister Mxyzptlk (Howie Mandel) appears

Think
Groundhog Day

Where only.
Clark knows the
Time Loop is occuring
As the situation
gets worse and worse
when everyone lives the same day over and over again

3 Likes

Oh man I loved that Mxyzptlk episode! It was pretty excellent! I am a sucker for Christmas themed episodes.

I made an observation the other day as I’m finishing up the fourth season. I feel like the Lois and Clark TV was such a good companion show to the Superman comics back then. They will take similar concepts from the comics but put their own spin to it. The awesome side effect for me now is that I start remembering and get nostalgic over the old 90’s comics! But I THINK if I was watching Lois and Clark back then? I wouldn’t have liked it as much because back then I was still that annoying “but that’s not how it is in the comics!” Guy.

3 Likes

Finally watched all 87 episodes of Lois and Clark

The last episode ends with.a Cliffhanger to a fifth season that never happened.

It is like many episodes a mixture of drama comedy romance and a little Superman. The villain is ridiculous but Lois with.Clark is always good

One meta moment. Lois and Clark talk about adoption with a social worker. She gives each a score for suitability for being a foster parent. Clark gets a 97. Lois 17 because she is always in dangerous situation. The social worker thinks Lois is a ‘thrill seeker.’

Other interesting episodes

Episode 13 “Sex, Lies and Videotape” Pictures of Superman in bed with Lois are published.

Episodes 14 and 15 A Tempus two parter “Meet John Doe” “Lois and Clarks”

Episode 20 “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” Criminal switches body with Clark

4 Likes

Earlier in the fourth season, ABC had announced and promised an additional fifth year of the show, so the show’s producers and writers were caught unprepared when ABC later changed its mind and decided that no new episodes would be produced. The series had weakened in its Sunday 8:00 timeslot and had been shifted to 7:00 in January, and finally a last-ditch move to Saturdays in the spring. The ratings dropped even further, and the show finished its last season at 104th place. ABC made up for its commitment with Warner Bros. by ordering thirteen episodes of a Debra Messing drama called Prey.

Fifth Season that did not happen

3 Likes

Polls and Quiz now available

Link

2 Likes

Ah–the fifth season of Lois and Clark that never happened. It was one of the great TV cancellation tragedies. Where did the baby come from? Was it another orphan from Krypton? Or was it Lois and Clark’s baby sent back from a near future that was under siege by Tempus? And if so, who sent the baby back in time? Was it H.G. Wells? Was it Doctor Klein? Or was it Lois and Clark, doing a Jor-El and Lara, in an attempt to save their child from an apocalyptic future?
Both Teri and Dean have recently stated they would like to revisit their classic show and put a coda on the series. With all the myriad DC shows coming (or rumored to be coming) to The Arrowverse and HBOMAX, let’s hope some room can be found for a limited series, 21st century, LOIS and CLARK entry on their schedule.

4 Likes

Of course, Teri and Dean were great, but the supporting cast was equally fantastic. Lane Smith is the best live-action Perry White. And K Callan and Eddie Jones were wonderful as the warm-hearted, supportive and understanding parents of this “strange visitor from another planet”. Both Michael Landes and Justin Whalin’s portrayals of Jimmy moved the character away from camp sidekick to professional colleague. And John Shea gave us a menacing and manipulative, yet complex, Lex Luthor.

4 Likes

Finally Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman is now streaming on HBO Max! Can the Adventures of superman be far behind? I hope not!

4 Likes

I like to think the baby was send by Mr. Mxyzptlk with a what would’ve been a return of Howie Mandel as the character.
I can see Mr. Mxyzptlk testing Lois and Clark what it’s like to have a baby and kids of their own.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I saw that last night when I jumped on the Max to watch more Mare of Eastown. Will go on my list for the fun occasional watch.

3 Likes

I had the opposite view of the supporting cast, I’m afraid. This was not the first show to assume that a lot of characters needed makeovers, but I don’t think it was the best stab at it (see the Perry White Elvis schtick). I don’t know if the showrunners concluded comic book writers were a probleme on the Superboy show a couple years earlier, but Lois & Clark went the opposite direction and consistently showed little awarness of the comics. The show did succeed in getting a lot of Americans to watch (many more than watched Superboy), so it ultimately did serve as an important stepping stone to what the public will accept now on network TV and HBO Max

3 Likes

@zontarr.26192: I have to respectfully disagree with your critique of the Lois and Clark supporting cast, but that’s fine. Have you had a chance to view the new CW Superman and Lois show?