DC History Club: 1990s DC TV Double Feature: Lois and Clark

I am not ashamed to say Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman is my Superman. This show debuted when I was 11 going on 12. I was the perfect age for this show.

Tracy Scoggins was the perfect actress to bring Cat Grant to life and to this day I get excited when Cat Grant appears. It is all because of this show that I have that kind of appreciation for a lesser-known comic book character.

Yes, I have seen the original series with George Reeves and then Superman: The Movie before this show appeared but Dean Cain was and is the actor I compare all actors who put on the red cape. He comes across as an extremely nice guy, even when people are going after him for his political beliefs on social media. I get the feeling he understands that he is still Superman to many people so he seems to go above and beyond. Check out Comic Book Men Season 3 Episode 9 to see Dean Cain serve cake to everyone at a party to celebrate Superman’s 75th Anniversary. (This is currently streaming on Amazon Prime).

Teri Hatcher is the perfect Lois Lane. She is believably conceded and full of her self as I have always seen Lois as. I do not mean this be a slight on Teri Hatcher because she also comes across as extremely likable. However, she also seemed way too comfortable in Lois’s skin. Demanding and indecisive while being romantic and working hard for what she wants. Margot Kidder was good as Lois but I will admit that she never fit my image of Lois. After I saw Teri Hatcher on that Sunday I knew I have found the Lois that I was looking for.

Lane Smith. Not enough can be said about Lane’s portrayal of Perry White. He was a hard boss to work for but he loved the business and the people even more. One moment he can be scolding Jimmy about doing something dimwitted and the next he can be reciting an anecdote about Elvis. All the while, his love of the character shone through in every scene he was in.

I might have fond memories of watching the 1950s show with my grandmother but Lois and Clark are where I confirmed my love of Superman. To this day, I maintain that Superman comics are only as good as the supporting characters and this show is what helped mold that opinion.

While I am here, I will share a photo of the trade paperback that I shared in @Reaganfan78’s original topic.

Quick note: I have not checked if the missing comics have been added since I had originally made this post.

3 Likes