DC Grails & Missing Pieces

Dude that Superman was one of the items I was going to bring up next. He strikes me as a pretty good Jose Luis Garcia Lopez Supes. I’ve been thinking about the two-pack in particular just to get both figures. I kinda like the bigger S on the single version though :thinking:

6 Likes

Well, since @Vroom brought up Mattel Supes, I guess now is a good time to mention these other Mattel renditions that I look forward to adding at some point in the near future

Super Powers throwbacks

Super Friends

DC Super Heroes (very Byrne-esque)

Giants of Justice (12”)

Superman Doomed along with Doomsday

President Superman

9 Likes

I can barely find a decent image of what I would like to find, much less the actual item. LOL

Since I collect Super Friends stuff, I would add this kid’s bean bag chair from 1978. It has the Super Friends logo, but the line up is fairly different, with Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, and Batgirl.

11 Likes

Now that seems like a deep cut. Didn’t even know bean bag chairs were a thing back then! Were you ever able to find one for sale?

6 Likes

Definitely those early days. I miss those days, to be honest. They had such a wide variety of items. I remember the PVC sets they used to do.

Also, I LOVE the John Carpenter Starman movie.

5 Likes

What a great line this was! I loved that Superboy action figure. I always wanted the Kryptonian Battle Suit.

7 Likes

:blush:

It’s my only Superboy item, that is if I don’t get the upcoming Iron Studios statue. The Battle Suit is awesome. It’s not that accurate to the source material, but a great piece nonetheless.

I wish we’d get a dedicated Superman line like that (and the DC Collectibles Man of Steel statue line) again.

5 Likes

That Iron Studios statue is AMAZING! I didn’t know about it until you said it.

I agree, I wish we could get more dedicated Superman stuff. There’s some Superman figures in the McFarlane line but nothing I want to run and get.

5 Likes

Nope, never was able to find one, and I’m sure there are none around now. I would assume that they got used by their owners, and after awhile, the seams broke and the bags were thrown out.

5 Likes

He’s made / is making some solid Superman figures. If you’re looking for something specific, let us know and we may be able to point you to something you like (from McFarlane or others).

5 Likes

Wow. I wasn’t aware that there was any WW merchandise in the Golden Age. And it is a cool Valentine!

5 Likes

Okay, I think many of you know I collect pinback buttons. For that reason this is my holy grail with regards to DC Comics merchandise. From about 1945 to 1947 there were pinback buttons of comic strip characters included in boxes of Pep cereal. Among the characters were Blondie, Dagwood, Snuffy Smith, Dick Tracy, and so on. Since Superman had a newspaper strip at the time, he was included. I would love to get the Superman Pep Cereal button, but it seems as if any time I find one I don’t have the money!

Superman Pep Cereal Button

9 Likes

That’s cool. Pin in a cereal box sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen nowadays :joy:. #simplertimes

6 Likes

Great minds, my friend. Great minds. :fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

You know, in nearly 20 years of that figure’s existence, I don’t immediately recall anyone likening it to JLGL. I can kinda-sorta see the resemblance, though.

If you do snag that two-pack, do get the direct market edition that came with Zipline Batman. Do it. :grin:

Along with a single-carded Zipline Batman, of course. :wink:

Very true, and as a huge, huge fan of Bryne’s Superman, its very much my favorite 6-inch scale Superman from Mattel.

When the DCSH line was shown at Toy Fair in 2005, the figures were initially going to come with highly-detailed display bases, with the Byrne-esque Superman’s base being the Daily Planet globe.

However, production costs nixed the bases from inclusion with the production pieces, so their only pack-in ended up being comic books (still cool, but the Planet globe base was really cool).

As for dedicated Superman toy lines, I imagine we’ll get something for My Adventures with Superman.

If McFarlane and DCD should want to reinvigorate Kenner’s Superman: Man of Steel line as wonderfully as they have Super Powers, I would absolutely be onboard for that.

The Death of Superman’s 30th anniversary is this year, while the 30th anny of Reign of the Supermen is next year, and being that Kenner’s MOS line was heavily focused on elements from (and after) those tales, maybe we’ll get a surprise Super Powers-style Death and Reign line next year.

Come to think of it…Death/Reign-based figures could debut in the Super Powers line next year, instead of having their own line.

If Super Powers had continued into the '90s, I have no doubt that Death and Reign characters would have appeared in its ranks.

This all sounds like wild dreaming, but as was said in McDonald’s TV ads in the '90s, “It could happen.”

5 Likes

Like an actual physical globe, or just a globe drawn on a base? Unique bases like that would have been really cool, though problematic to display for those of us with limited real estate.

I blame Brad the DC Universe Geek. There was a period when I was trying to obtain specific artist renditions of Superman in figure or statue form, and JLGL was one of ‘em. Google and ebay searches kept coming up empty. Then I stumbled on Brad’s review of this figure and he brought up the resemblance. Maybe it’s a stretch, but it’s still a motivation for me to get it.

Maybe if it blows up. I’m not holding out hope for dedicated Superman lines, not until his popularity returns to former glory (holding out hope for that). McFarlane been doing a decent job of representing Supes across his lines, so all is good in my book.

Death & Return figures would be welcome, especially if they capture Jurgens’ art well, something I feel that hasn’t been done that often.

5 Likes

I could picture the commercial for the class action suit now. “Were your fingers pricked by a pinback button inside a box of Pep cereal? You could be entitled to compensation…”

5 Likes

Meanwhile Dad goes to have some breakfast and is like “Why is there blood in my cereal?”

6 Likes

A physical, spherical DP globe. I tried finding a photo on Google, but of course, none were available.

It wasn’t scaled to the figure, as it had to fit into a package so it could be sold along with the figure for $7.99, but for what it was, it was cool.

Batman was going to have a Bat-signal, which also looked rad.

Between him and me, we’ve managed to get you to buy more stuff than you planned for. The plan is working. :grin:

If a MAWS line happens, it’ll debut before the show does, as is typical of such things (the same would hold true for Batman: Caped Crusader, should it get a toy line as well).

The toys are effectively licensed advertising in toy form, and the more that can be done to spread the word about the show (shows, when factoring in BCC), the more WBCP will want merchandise with the title and characters from the show in front of folks (especially those who are into Superman and DC, but not geeks like we are) prior to the entertainment’s launch.

I would hope Spin Master would have something cooking for MAWS and BCC. Some stuff from McFarlane in the Multiverse line would be cool too, but I’m betting that Spin Master will more than likely shepherd the majority of action figure-based product for both shows.

I definitely want a Jurgens-style Superman. We have figures that are close, but not 100% on-point, yet. Some day, though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have most of what I want from Mattel’s fantastically-rad Infinite Heroes line, but this is the one piece I don’t have that I’d consider a grail, which would also finish what I want from the line:

For whatever reason, this 6-pack didn’t get the retail love that the others in the line did. Its not too hard to find by any means, but it isn’t as common as the Toys R Us and Walmart exclusive 6-packs are, either.

8 Likes

Sideshow released this special edition BG statue a few years back and I totally missed it:

Now, I know that other statues from this sculpt in varying colors have been released, but what makes this one of my gurrrlll unique and an absolute must-have is her cowl’s ear length. All of the other renditions of this sculpt have the short ears but I need the long ears y’all. And since it’s gone out of rotation at Sideshow scalpers on eBay/Amazon have been asking high range prices- anywhere from $890 all the way up to $1200. I need this one.

Here’s the other BG statue that I missed. :unamused:

Tweeterhead’s Yvonne C. BG statue. The accuracy is amazing- it looks just like her. :star_struck: Most offers start at $700 and I’ve seen them as high as $2200. That’s a lot of sheckles. Gotta’ find one that’s a bit cheaper than that. :pray: :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes