DC Fan Art Club

HumbleBundle needs to be WAY more well known. I didn’t even know it existed until you posted about it that first time

2 Likes

And don’t forget the comics bundles. James Bond ends in less than 2 days.

1 Like

Hi all! Sorry to butt in, I’ve been wanting to chat with you talented artists for a few weeks now. I’ve actually been doing a lot more artistic things myself lately. I started taking a beginners’ acyrlic painting class and am really enjoying it. It’s giving me lots of ideas, and it’s definitely something I want to pursue and develop more. I was just curious how other people here started out.

3 Likes

Hi GL! When I was a kid, I would look at comic book art and I wanted to try and reproduce it. I started with actual tracing paper just trying to go over the lines.

After that, I moved up to just looking and trying to draw on my own without tracing. That, of course, didn’t look great and made me want to learn some of the rules.

How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way by Stan Lee and John Buscema taught me the basics of anatomy, perspective and even storytelling. I still base my figures by drawing the head first and then determining how large the rest of the body should be based on the head.

Once I learned the rules, then I tried to stretch them to develop a unique style. I stopped drawing around the year 2000 as I focused on a full time job, but up until then I was strictly pencil on paper.

At the end of 2020, I decided to try again, but digitally this time. I tried the digital drawing pad where you look at the screen, but your hand is drawing on the pad where your mouse would be. I never could get comfortable with it.

So I ended up buying a monitor where you actually draw directly on the screen and that really opened things up for me. The concepts of blowing up the image to add details, being able to erase completely without destroying the paper and never having a dull pencil or running out of ink were great. I use Krita as the drawing software (a free download) and even almost a year in I learn more and more about different features.

I never used to work in color, but now I’m adding color, gradients, special effects and all kinds of things.

So my advice is to never stop learning, don’t be afraid to try new techniques and the more you keep going, the more you’ll notice your unique style coming through.

Feel free to share what you’re creating in class. I’m sure we’d all like to see it.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing all that, that’s very good to hear. I loved that Marvel book when I was a kid, I used to draw from it a ton. I’ve been interested in digital art for a while. Part of me feels like it would be easier in some ways. A few years back I drew a few simple cartoons and then outlined them in marker, and either scanned them or took a photo and then colored them in on Paint. That was really fun, and got me interested in trying more digital art. There seems to be a wide range in digital tablets and other devices for drawing, it can be a little overwhelming. And that’s not even counting the software. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@CynicalPink More Humble Bundle Art Tools. Spread the word. And Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Wonder Woman #73 Cover Re-Creation challenge is open from April 23-30, 2022.

2 Likes

Dark Knights of Steel challenge this week.

2 Likes

I’m horrible. I hope some people caught this. :frowning:

2 Likes

no you’re not!

4 Likes

You are no where near horrible! You’re the best!

4 Likes

You and @Jurisdiction are just super forgiving and kind :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Crush and Lobo challenge this week.

2 Likes

Far Sector challenge this week.

2 Likes

Tim Sale tributes this week.

2 Likes

Aquamen challenge this week!

2 Likes

Is there a topic or thread to post and discuss writing as well?? Or is there a club for that? I’ve been writing a comic and id just like opinions i guess… @CynicalPink

4 Likes

Hey Bruce! I’m REALLY sorry for the late reply, but if you happen to see this and are still around, unfortunately the answer is nope. Unless things have changed, fanfiction was not permitted in the community because of some legal stuff.

4 Likes

The thread to request a custom sketch for the 2023 holidays is now up.
Post your request by December 15 in the thread linked below and the art club will get it done by the end of the year.

2 Likes

The 2024 Gallery is now open.

3 Likes