DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #96 - Aquamen! June 25 - July 2, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! The topic this week is Aquamen or, more accurately, any of the Aquapeople. Jackson Hyde is the first that comes to mind during Pride month, but Arthur, Mera, Garth, Tula, Black Manta or even Vulko are certainly all eligible.

The latest round of Aqua stores starts with the Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100 page Super Spectacular, available right here.

That leads into Jackson Hyde’s Aquaman: The Becoming and the Black Manta series (the first few issues available on DCUI).

As part of the Aquamen launch, DC released some design guides for the main characters. Always nice to have some reference readily available!

Dive under the waves this week and see what inspires you in the world of Atlantis.

Due Date: July 2, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

11 Likes

Though I will admit, I’ve drawn Aquaman a few times before and if I have to draw one more scale for his costume I will scream!

6 Likes

You need an Aquaperson without scales! There are some to choose from!

6 Likes

True I’ll take a look!

5 Likes

Awesome™:+1: alway like drawing the Aquafamily.

4 Likes

Here’s Jackson Hyde!

9 Likes

Here’s Topo! He’s shooting a “green arrow” using a technique he learned from Green Arrow. Lol. And he is playing the drums and calling his friend Krypto. The red lines around the purple circle is based off of the “Red” from the comics.

8 Likes

Oh, the drum playing Octopus from the Aquaman movie! What an awesome idea! Never expected to see him this week.

5 Likes

I don’t know why I did short hair and also a beard but, alright

8 Likes

I had previously drawn Aquaman and Mera. This time I went bad and decided on Black Manta with his imposing design. I drew him as if he was coming out of the Dark Water (which just happens to be the name of the dance my youngest is performing in tonight at nationals!!!) to scare you!

PS I have also finished the last of my celebrity drawings that I plan to bring with me to Terrificon at the end of July for autographs!!!

9 Likes

In case you were curious, I drew five celebrity likenesses for Terrificon for the end of July. Who did I draw? You’ll have to wait to see as I want them to be the first ones to know and see.
Wish me luck that they’ll like them; I always worry that I’ll offend them if they don’t think it looks like them. I know I know I’ve been doing this a while but still worry

5 Likes

That’s one scary shark behind Aquaman!

Nice work on the trident!

7 Likes

I’m always amazed how you pull those these effects with just pencil and eraser.

That underwater white effect is really very cool. Also perfect (and very symmetrical) Black Manta helmet!

6 Likes

Wow, I checked out the guest list for Terrificon and there are a ton of people coming!

I know JR Jr has to be on your list and I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve created.

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to it.
I’m a DC fan but my first live has been that arachnid hero and JR Jr and Mark Bagley were the ones I grew up with so I’m excited to meet both!
As a hint, my drawings are of the movie/media guests not the comic creators. I could never compete with those legends

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ve strived to try different effects using pencil as this is the medium I’m most comfortable with. I always like to capture what I see in my mind. As for the symmetrical helmet, it wasn’t easy but I tried to make an x with the eyes to make it look that way

4 Likes

Nice proportions and symmetry on the figure. Really like the bubbles effect to give it that underwater look. Great job!

5 Likes

Nicely done and cool character choice!

3 Likes

Totally looks like the shark is photo bombing Aquaman! I dig the beard, btw.

3 Likes

Great work as usual. Love the pencilled effects.

3 Likes