DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #90 - New Super-Man! May 7 - 14, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! May is AAPI (Asian American and Pacific Islander) Heritage month and our friends over in the @DCHistoryClub are covering the works of Gene Luen Yang.

One of his series was New Super-Man (part of the Rebirth era) which ran for 24 issues starting in 2016. It starred Kong Kenan as the New Super-Man and introduced a whole Justice League of China.

BM_WW_China2

I’m only three issues into the series so far, but I’ve been impressed by the script of Gene Luen Yang. Kong Kenan didn’t start out very likable in the first issue, but this is a ‘coming of age’ story for him and he’s really growing on me.

Art on the first 6 issues was by Viktor Bogdanovic and was really quite good. It reminded me of the art in the Wildstorm books (maybe it was the inking by Richard Friend).

Check out the series here, say hi to the History Club folks and take a look at the characters in JL China here (there’s a Robinbot). Pick out something interesting and take a shot at drawing it.

Due Date: May 14, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

12 Likes

Interesting.
Haven’t read the series yet but have seen his crossovers in Superman and Deathstroke and the other leaguers in other stuff and they were pretty cool.
I think I have some ideas​:thinking:

4 Likes

Can we take a moment of silence to recognize the passing of two comic art greats in one week, Neal Adams and now George Perez? I’m without words right now but I might feel the need this weekend to draw Mr Perez as well since I drew Neal Adams last week.

10 Likes

I expected the news of George to come sooner rather than later, but it was still very hard to hear. He was one of the best and real nice guy to boot. I met him a few times over the years and he always had a smile on his face.

We’ll have a George Perez week next week.

7 Likes

Very nice portrait of Neal. Can I add it with the rest of the art for last week?

5 Likes

Apologies for not being around for nearly a month. My heart hasn’t been in DC drawings lately. Been drawing a lot more horror movie pieces lately. I’ll be back very soon, but it won’t be this week. Glad to see such creative challenges still taking place, though!

5 Likes

Bats face! :rofl: Really cool challenge, looking forward to drawing some these characters especially robinbot so cute.

5 Likes

Good to see you. Come on back any time!

3 Likes

Here’s JL China inspired by a scene in issue 3.

11 Likes

I did one previously. It is a cool idea having them from other cultures.

He’s the one I did before:

Not sure I can out do that one though.

9 Likes

Yes you can. I drew one of George Perez as well that I posted on another thread but you can include here as well:

9 Likes

Both of those so well done!! Great work!

3 Likes

I did a quick sketch of Super-Man.

10 Likes

George Perez’s death is still fresh in my mind so here is my homage to his Crisis cover with Super-Man and Wonder-Woman.

10 Likes

Cool homage!!

3 Likes

@RobArt471 thats not a sketch that a whole masterpiece!!!

3 Likes

Dang! Thank you!! From what I got of the character, he is light hearted and likes to have a little fun. I have only read like 2 of 3 issues. This seemed to be what I think he would do in between things. I know I would be doing it. :grin:

3 Likes

You did great!,

2 Likes

When I was putting this together I thought you had drawn a character last year, but then I didn’t see it in the gallery. This is though! It’s Aqua-man of China, isn’t it?

Great detailed work!

5 Likes

Very nice pose and cloud work! I can feel that sense of motion as he soars through the clouds!

4 Likes