DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #85 - Doom Patrol! April 2 - 9, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! @KingsharkDp4vr requested a Doom Patrol week and I think that’s a great idea! We didn’t do anything when season 3 debuted on HBO Max last year so we can make up for that this week by looking at not only the show, but also any version of Doom Patrol in comics and animation.

DCUI has a lot of Doom Patrol to choose from.

Along with a few other revivals over the years as well.

If you prefer animation, The Doom Patrol has appeared in Teen Titans Go (pretty awesome interpretation), Teen Titans (the more serious version) and they even had some DC Nation Shorts which were on this site back when it hosted videos.

Any hero, villain, or bizarre abstract concept even remotely connected to the Doom Patrol is in play this week. Get weird and have fun!

Due Date: April 9, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

DoomPatrolHBOMax

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

10 Likes

Haven’t seen much past Teen Titans, but I’ll see what I can come up with.

6 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. Finishing up my furies one but definitely already have some ideas for this.

6 Likes

Doom Patrol comics in the 80s were really amazing. They came right after Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen and it was really one of the most creative periods in the history of comics. A lot of those ideas ended up in the DCU/HBO show.

5 Likes

Seems like a good challenge to get back into the game.

5 Likes

welcome back, @niamton!

4 Likes

Welcome back @niamton! Has it really been 11 months? No way!

5 Likes

Actually, I think I’m gonna take a break this week. Ive got pretty bad burnout from drawing most every day the last few months. I’ll be back at it next week. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s pieces! :clap:

5 Likes

I may have an idea for this week.
I had already drawn Robotman as an operation game:

I had also drawn Crazy Jane

10 Likes

@JKoco17 I am drawing just be patient so far i have negative man and robot man done lol

4 Likes

No worries, I haven’t even started mine yet.

I need to come up with something appropriately weird for the Doom Patrol!

4 Likes

Same

3 Likes

This was inspired by Doom Patrol #34.

Cliff recently had a new high tech body built for him by Dr Magnus that was now in need of repair. The Chief took out Cliff’s brain and put him in a tank while he (angrily) made the repairs.

When the Chief leaves to get more chocolate, the robot body comes to life all on its own and is not happy about the idea of Cliff’s brain being put back into it.

So it drills a hole in Cliff’s tank to let all the nutrient fluid drain out all while chatting him up. Then things get really weird when The Brain and Monsieur Mallah show up!

5 Likes

Very well done imagery! The tech stuff looks very cool and perfect for Doom Patrol. Could see this in a comic. Great job, bud.

3 Likes

Thanks Rob!

The credit for the design all goes to Richard Case. I just tried to take some of the prominent elements and create a slimmed down version. He really had a ton of detail in there, but that’s why he’s a pro.

My big addition was to point the dial to 34 to acknowledge the issue number. :grinning:

4 Likes

Guys I am almost done​:cold_face:!

4 Likes

For this week’s challenge I chose Negative Man.
Here is the reference I used:

And here is the photo “negative “ of him as drawn by me:

7 Likes

Great job and appropriately weird! I love a good backstory and I was thinking Monsier Mallah and the Brain before you said it. I can feel the impending “doom” in the cracking of the glass.

4 Likes

Wow, very cool negative effects! It fits right in with the whole tone of the show.

Definitely an added layer of difficultly to do this without any digital trickery. Fantastic!

4 Likes

Thanks! This issue was a good stand alone story between Grant Morrison epics. I felt bad for Cliff as he only had his high tech body for a few issues before it turned on him.

I always wondered if fans didn’t like the new look at the time or if this was always the intended payoff to get him back into his usual orange body.

4 Likes