DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #84 - Female Furies! March 26 - April 2, 2022

Thanks Stef! The more I worked on it, the more Barda looked Asgardian to me. I suppose Jack Kirby just carried over some of his designs between Asgard and Apokolips.

And is that actually a hair shaped helmet? Pretty awesome design.

The weapon effect is inspired by Walt Simonson’s work on Thor and Orion. Kinda like what he did on the cover of Female Furies 4.

As for who’s she’s going after? Hmmmmm, maybe I need @ImpulseMaxMercury’s help to come up with a backstory for me :grinning:

5 Likes

I’ll have to give it some thought…

4 Likes

Love the style showcased here

2 Likes

Love the Kirby Crackle used here, great work!

3 Likes

Big Barda and her husband Scott are trying to unwind after a recent battle with the forces of Darkseid. A boom tube opens revealing them back in their humble home away from home. Scott pops some popcorn while Barda tries to relax after the windup of battle. Scott calmly talks to her, reminding her there will be future battles but for now there is just the two of them. They turn the television on and catch up on their favorite television shows on the CW. They enjoy the fictionalized exploits of their fellow teammates. Mr Miracle enjoys the escape of the adventures and knowing that they resolve any issues within an hour at most. Barda makes commentary about how the Flash wouldn’t have said that or how Superman would not have done it like that. They get caught up to the season finales of Batwoman and Legends, looking towards what happens next. Then Scott happens to read online how the other shows have already been renewed but Batwoman and Legends are on the bubble. Not content with stories unresolved Barda picks up her Mega-Rod and gets ready to send a boom tube directly to the CW executives to “persuade” them to renew.

4 Likes

Shorter but alternate ending:
Guy Gardner asks Big Barda what her weapon is called. She tells him it’s her Mega Rod. Guy snickers and is just about to make an inappropriate comment regarding it and Scott and Barda’s relationship when she gets up to teach him a lesson in respect for the Mega Rod.

4 Likes

Thanks! I find Kirby to be a master but he is very difficult to emulate.

3 Likes

Thanks! I really wanted to get an action pose and I may have used a certain clawed hero from another universe as a reference. I looked at how the boom tubes looked when Kirby did them’s no then included effects from more recent.
I like the idea that Aunt Harriet May have accidentally been sucked through a boom tube to Apokolips and through years of torture as well as bonding over tea and cookies with the other Furies, she slowly went mad and became Mad Harriet.

4 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks! I struggled some with the loincloth glow trying to get it just right. I borrowed the face from a cover to Mr Miracle and the costume from her original appearance. Hair is something I take pride in drawing and getting the look without a complete copy. I had the pose and felt I needed a background so there’s the boom tube

3 Likes

Great idea! It goes with the Female Furies but also a tie in to the cartoon. I really like the use of shadows in all your artwork, they look almost like engraving

4 Likes

The colors really pop on this and the effect on the weapon is great! Great job!

4 Likes

Thank you!!

4 Likes

Thank you!!! Fantastic backstories!!!

I knew you’d come up with something fun.

4 Likes

I went with Supergirl from her time as a Fury when Darkseid kidnapped her.

10 Likes

Awesome as usual Rob. Clean lines and the detail on the arms looks great.

But y’know what Stompa would say…

(by the way, anyone going to draw Stompa??)

5 Likes

Haha! Thanks, bud!

2 Likes

Had to take a break from…well everything…thought I’d try my hand at some Barda with my new brush pen.

9 Likes

Welcome back @Goldk! Nice work on Barda!

You even went all in on the chain mail too! I know from experience that is hard to pull off (I tried and just couldn’t make it look right).

2 Likes

Looks fantastic!

1 Like