DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #79 - Super-Pets! February 19 - 26, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! Let’s focus on the world of the DC Super-Pets this week!

The Legion of Super-Pets was created by Jerry Siegel and Curt Swan all the way back in Adventure Comics #293 in February, 1962! The original lineup included Krypto the Superdog, Streaky the Supercat, Beppo the Super-Monkey and Comet the Super-Horse.

They disappeared in the mid-80s, but came back in current continuity in the Super Sons Annual #1 in 2017. This one has great art by Paul Pelletier!

The Super-Pets also appeared in the backup story (with Atom Ant!) in Scooby Apocalypse #34.

Any DC animal (friend or foe) is eligible this week. Stick with the originals or go with Dex-Starr, Gleek, Detective Chimp, Teekl or anyone else who comes to mind!

Due Date: February 26, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

14 Likes

Yet another topic I’ve never touched on drawing. Let’s do this.

5 Likes

I swear the only Superpets I’ve heard of are Ace, Krypto, and what I believe is Flash’s pet turtle. Other than that, I have no knowledge of any super pets lol

4 Likes

I’m always excited to see the fan art that comes out of these prompts, but I’m particularly excited for this one! :heart_eyes_cat:

7 Likes

Awesome™:+1: now which pet to choose.:thinking:

5 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if we should we just have a Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman week?

Then I ultimately decide against it and go for something a bit more different. :grinning:

7 Likes

I’d be down. Maybe next week?

4 Likes

Finishing up my current piece before beginning the Super Pets one. It’s Batman Beyond from the Justice Lords timeline. This one was meant to be an experiment in coloring.

8 Likes

I am so hyped to see what you guys make for this one. :heart_eyes_cat:

Cough Streaky! cough

6 Likes

WIP so many eraser lines bwha

10 Likes

Awesome! Those monkeys look like trouble!

5 Likes

Not exactly a Super-Pet, but Ace from Batman Beyond has been around since I was four years old. Had to draw the good boy in all his glory.

13 Likes

Next week we are headed to Earth-3…

5 Likes

Nice work combining your shadowy style with the bat-hound!

So Batman Beyond has an Ace as well, huh? I really need to watch that show!

6 Likes

I decided to go with Damien Wayne’s dog Titus. I looked over a lot of pics of real Great Danes for reference and ultimately expanded on it a bit with bigger ‘comic book’ eyes.

Not sure if he’s ever worn that :00_robin: collar in the comics, but I figure it suit him pretty well.

12 Likes

You really do! Terry McGinnis is my favorite Batman.

5 Likes

I enjoy the detail on this one! Haven’t kept up with DW in a while.

5 Likes

Love Terry! Glad to see BBeyond Ace too, one of my favorite superpets and you nailed him! You were able to capture the Batman Beyond style so we’ll and it looks awesome meshed with your own style.

5 Likes

Appreciate it majorly! To be honest, it’s been a big dream of mine since I was a kid to work on a Batman Beyond book.

4 Likes

I usually do not draw animals so this will be a challenge for me but I love challenging myself. I was not sure who to pick then I asked my oldest child who gave me who to draw and even offered me plenty of helpful hints on how to draw the animal. Great to have another artist in the family.

6 Likes