DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #76 - Fire and Ice! January 29 - February 5, 2022

Thanks @MichaelLakeArt and @stefanie.m !

I knew you’d come through with an animation reference Stef!

If I had ice powers and my best bud had fire powers…I would definitely do this!

8 Likes

Hello. It’s been awhile. (Again) IDK if I’m still part of the DC fan Art club but here’s mine I just drew.

Let me know if I should color it.

14 Likes

Nice pose work, I especially like Ice, her expression and her boots.

6 Likes

I am actually enjoying this challenge since I’ve just gotten started. Never drew them before, still working at female characters, and trying to showcase their powers. I feel this is turning out better than I expected but we will see when done later this week.
@RobArt471 i asked my oldest for their opinion and it was a big help and encouragement.

8 Likes

People come and go out of the group all the time. You’re welcome to pop back in whenever the topic of the week inspires you.

As for color on your art, sure, go for it!

8 Likes

I initially was going to do a play on do you want to build a snowman with Ice on one side of the door and Fire on the other, but I figured that might violate guidelines with third parties.
I then outlined a scene where they were fighting with Fire possessed and Ice trying not to hurt her friend.
I used same outline sketch and decided to make them being on same side with division in middle between cold and hot. I liked how I got Fire’s transformation into well fire halfway down as well as in her hair. I liked how I blended Ice’s feet into her ice structure just as Fire blended into her flame. I think I did well with their faces and poses for doing from scratch with reference to their characters only.

13 Likes

The faces and expressions are very very good. Solid eye contact and eludes to unsaid emotion. Really great work.

5 Likes

Nice work! I like what you did with the Ice background. is that a smeared pencil? How did you make the white streaks?

I’ve also never quite seen flame effects like you have on Fire’s legs. Very unique and interesting!

6 Likes

Thanks!! I am never sure if I capture the faces right and wanted to make sure their eyelines matched so they would be looking at each other.

5 Likes

Yes, I took one of my pencils and start with shading it back and forth and then use my finger to blend. The white lines are simply using an eraser to draw the lines once the shading is there. I had discovered this by accident when I went to erase something on an earlier drawing and noticed I could make an effect using negative space.
Thanks I tried to capture the look of fire and flame. My oldest child suggested I look at actual pictures of flames to capture it and this is what I came up with.

6 Likes

I love Fire & Ice!! Their color palettes against one another really delights me. Needless to say, these all look amazing. :smile:

KEEP IT UP! Can’t wait to see more!

9 Likes

Fantastic work, has alot of emotion plus their intertwined hands is adorable. I also like you did the feet morphing the ice its a nice touch plus fires well fire is pretty cool.

5 Likes

I should really go back and darken my pieces so yall dont have to strain :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

Nice! There is some righteous anger and emotion in that look!

5 Likes

Well done. Proportions are right on and the raw emotions are exhibited in a great way here. Really like the flame hair. Not to much detail to get I the way of it looking cool!

4 Likes

Thank you kindly! I was going for jlu/cartoon style which i think is more my style.

@JKoco17 righteous anger love it.

4 Likes

@MichaelLakeArt
Looks awesome™:+1:
Great shading and like the color flip in the background

@JKoco17
Looks awesome™:+1:
Great expression. Definitely looks like something Ice might do :laughing:.

@IamBeastBoy08
Very awesome™:+1:. Great pose work.

@ImpulseMaxMercury
Awesome™:+1:. Looks great. Like the effects.

@stefanie.m
Awesome™:+1: fire. Great expression

9 Likes

Made a back to back kind of thing. Enjoy this one. Had fun with the colors.
The faces got a bit iffy but overall liked how it came out.

8 Likes

Really like the animated look! I am amazed when I see the flow of lines making it look fluid.

6 Likes

Coloring is amazing! Crayons are a hard tool to use, I used them once to add color to a Superman piece I did from the viewpoint of him hitting me with heat vision but it was all red. Nice job!

5 Likes