DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #76 - Fire and Ice! January 29 - February 5, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! We’ve worked on Captain Cold, Mister Freeze and let’s finish up January with Fire and Ice!

These two characters have been around for a long time (Fire first appeared in Super Friends #25 in 1979), but they really came to prominence in Justice League International. This was the ‘Bwah-ha-ha’ era of the JLI in the late 80s and there really is nothing else quite like it.

Their history and powers have had all kinds of comic book twists and retcons (even dying and coming back to life), but all you really need to know is that they are as close as sisters and their powers pretty much follow their namesakes (except Fire’s flame is green).

Let’s step out of the cold of January, keep an eye towards spring and create something with both Fire and Ice!

Due Date: February 5, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

fire-ice-animated

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

13 Likes

Interesting. Never heard of these characters. I’ll give it a shot in some form or fashion.

6 Likes

Ice was actually just in The Human Target #2 that came out at the end of November. Written by Tom King, it has a full recap of her history and was quite a good read.

humantarget2

9 Likes

Another pair of characters I have never drawn before. I’ll have to figure out my best way to create a scene for the characters. Add to the challenge my difficulty with female characters and this could be interesting

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Have a few layouts in mind and trying to see what I can pull off.

7 Likes

Yeah every challenge I try to find that hook that inspires me and then I can’t stop once started. It’s that first hook that takes me a while… though I think I have an idea

7 Likes

I decided to keep it simple this time around, since they’re brand new to me. Just some portrait sketches thus far!

13 Likes

I’ll have to add it to my reading list.

5 Likes

Finished my Fire & Ice piece! I haven’t used crayons in almost fifteen years, so this was a fun, quick one!

14 Likes

Very nice! Has an animated feel to it

8 Likes

Thank you! ^^

7 Likes

Nice work! It really does have that animation feel. You’re very quick!

@stefanie.m is our resident animation expert. Maybe she has some recommendations on some good Fire and Ice JLU episodes.

6 Likes

Here is Ice having a little fun annoying Fire.

15 Likes

Thanks! And that’d be awesome!

6 Likes

Very nice! Lots of emotion in that one. Always enjoy seeing the Frank Miller-esque style you’ve got!

7 Likes

Hahaha hardly this but they’ve each had cameos in Justice League unlimited, with Fire getting a team up with Flash and Hawkgirl (i am legion episode) giving me one of my fav gifs of flash

67c

8 Likes

Love this they both look ready to beat someone up and its very cool you did it all in crayon

6 Likes

Thank you! It definitely was a different experience.

6 Likes

Hehehe adorable and well done, I like ice powers smothering out fires its a really cute/playful touch.

7 Likes

Ahh! Yes! I love fire and ice! Especially Fire, loved her in JLU so much :pray: I actually have drawn them before, one of the first times I drew DC characters. Maybe I can dig up the old old old art when I get back home

6 Likes