DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #75 - Peacemaker! January 22 - 29, 2022

It came out really well, the bars of the railing help give it that visual punch :fist: I know I’ve been slacking on backgrounds and almost never play with cool perspectives, so good on you for challenging yourself. It paid off! :100:
I haven’t seen the show yet but I can already imagine this playing out :laughing:

6 Likes

Lol! That would be tricky and maybe a future one but I’m trying to keep my hands from hurting so I can finish the one I started.
Reminds me, how is your hand doing? Feel better?

6 Likes

Very nice! I like the sense of shininess you give to King Shark and the way he looks at the camera. I enjoyed seeing the further post with the inking to really show it. Nice!

7 Likes

Very cool! I don’t have HBO Max but I can feel the movement in the scene. Part of me feels like he jumped without looking and fir some reason I feel like he is going to fall comedically.
Backgrounds are difficult. I have had trouble filling in backgrounds after drawing my characters and here you go starting with that as focus! Great use of perspective. I saw the work in progress, do you draw digitally or with pen/pencil? Just curious and if one way or other we would help

6 Likes

Thanks for asking. They are very much better. Although, this cold has made them a little achy for some reason.

4 Likes

Combined two of the suggestions this week using a little bit of humor. Dark humor but still humor.
The challenge this week for me was drawing a bird and having it look more realistic with feathers. I draw a lot of people likenesses, but not too many animals. And birds are the hardest with their feathers and having it come out right.

13 Likes

Great work in this thread so far!

@JKoco17 What a great angle to draw that shot from! I can’t imagine it was easy setting up that perspective, and you NAILED it! Super readable and suspenseful. :+1:

@MichaelLakeArt Love that King Shark! The shadow inking is really eye-catching!

@ImpulseMaxMercury Amazing wingwork! :heart_eyes: Eagly looks so real!

8 Likes

Thanks! I’ve found within the last year or so that negative space is most certainly my thing. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s awesome!! I noticed that too in your Blight and Mr. Freeze pieces. Working with negative space can be tricky, so it’s super impressive how well (and naturally) you make it happen in your work :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Appreciate it! I’ve been drawing for ten years now, and find it neat that I went from styles similar to Ryan Stegman, to more just my own thing. Feels good. ^^

7 Likes

Honestly this is superb! The detail you got on the wings is great. And yeah, they are not easy to draw! Haha RIP Batmite

6 Likes

Very nice! There is actually a scene like this in episode 2 where Eagly brings Peacemaker a possum to make him feel better. Eagles doing what eagles do!

6 Likes

Thanks @cici, @staticshocks and @ImpulseMaxMercury !

Oh, he certainly falls comedically! I think this was the first of 3 jumps from balcony to balcony and each landing is worse that the last. This whole scene is hilarious!

You’re right, I could have sworn I hear a crack as he threw his bedsheet of stolen vinyl from jump to jump.

This is all digital. It’s a good example of one of the things I wanted to try when moving to digital. I would imagine this background would be really hard to put together with pencil and paper.

The layer stack (from top to bottom) is 1) figure inks, 2) figure color, 3) background inks, 4) background color and 5) sky color. The sky is on its own layer so I could just do a blue gradient and it would only show in the ‘uncolored’ parts in the top right corner.

The digital software has a ‘line’ tool, which is kind of like a ruler except I can just go point to point and it will draw a straight line. Also, if I’m doing parallel lines, it will light up when I anchor the second point of the second line if the spacing is correct. That was really quite helpful.

What I ended up doing was bringing up a freeze frame of the scene from the show to get the reference for the building and railings. That helped setting up the angles and it is something I can even re-use later on. If I need another balcony I can just take that bit, zoom in, twist it around, or whatever I need.

With the figure on its own layer, I could enlarge or shrink it by itself if I didn’t get the sizing right the first time.

Digital really opens up a whole new world of tools. The hardest part is sorting them all out and figuring out what is best to use in each situation.

7 Likes

Thanks for the details! I have still stuck to my pencil and paper but I can see how digital has its advantages. If I were to try the same, I would need rulers and even then I’m sure I’d not have them as parallel.

4 Likes

Cool! I just pictured the eagle carrying something and this seemed to fit the bill. I didn’t realize they had something similar in the show.

4 Likes

Thanks! Getting it to look right with the different textures was difficult and I like how it turned out.
Hey maybe Bat Mite is just sleeping. Yeah that’s it…,

4 Likes

Here’s my finished Inked piece! Gonna color it next.

12 Likes

Finished with my colored piece!

13 Likes

Really nice color effects!
In the inked version the black was solid black, but in the colored version it has more of a pencil effect on it. How’d you do that? Are you working from the same physical piece of art?

6 Likes

Thanks! And yup, it’s the same physical piece! I went over some shadows with fine tipped Sharpie to get a grainy feel (to make the shadows look like they were kinda moving), then I went over KS’ body with gray marker, and then over it again with a blue Prisma Color marker. I used a blending marker to put them together into this purple-esque color scheme. To be honest, I’m not the best at coloring, so I was experimenting. Had fun, though!

8 Likes