DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #73 - Jokerized! January 8 - 15, 2022

Hi @DCFanArtClub! Many thanks to @RobArt471 for the suggestion, this week the challenge is to create a Jokerized version of any DC character.

The Joker has been using his ‘laughing gas’ or Joker Venom going all the way back to his first appearance in Batman #1 in 1940! There is a lethal and non-lethal version, but in both cases the victim starts to laugh uncontrollably as their faces are pulled into a large grin. Other effects include bulging eyes, pale skin and even green hair!

Due Date: January 15, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

12 Likes

I’m glad my creepy Captain Boomerang from last week’s challenge inspired the idea from @RobArt471 to Jokerize as a challenge this week! Now to figure out who else I can turn into a nightmare…

7 Likes

8 Likes

I am definitely all in on this one. Although I am gonna try and squeeze in a capt cold this weekend. My Swamp Thing over in the sketch dump thread took days to finish and threw me behind on the current challenge.

6 Likes

I went with Ted Kord Blue Beetle. I think this is going to get very creepy.

14 Likes

Omg! Those teeth are perfect! Yes, creepy zone alert!

5 Likes

I tried to think of the least likely character to be thought of as creepy and then add the Joker frights.
Plastic Man provided the opportunity to also go for body horror by having the grin twist around his face. I also paid homage to the Laughing Fish by turning his hand into the fish (you can see his fingernails in the teeth).
Hope you like it.

13 Likes

I like captain cold

5 Likes

Whoa, creepy! Believe it or not, my first thought was also to do Plastic Man as well, but I did not have an idea like a wrap around grin! That’s really freaking me out! Well done!

8 Likes

Captain Cold is awesome! Have you checked out our Captain Cold and the Rogues thread?

4 Likes

Thanks Rob! I went back and forth between a big grin with exaggerated teeth or something more realistic. I ended up basing it on this John Byrne pic from the Superman issue that is part of the title bar this week (#9 from the 80s reboot).

Looks a bit like when a person is in a mouth retractor at the dentist’s office!

8 Likes

Nice reference pulling the comics history out. I am not gonna finish this captain cold for last weeks challenge, but may morph it into a jokerized one. Decided to hyper-extend my fore finger on the old drawing hand. Nothing bad, but hard to hold a pencil or pen. Using a mouse and keyboard tomorrow at work may prove difficult too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Ouch! Take care of that drawing hand!

6 Likes

Thanks and I will. My collection of graphics novels has gotten to large for the small bookshelf I have and I ordered a new one yesterday. To prep for it I was moving stuff around in my office/Rob Cave and took a spill after cracking my foot on the leg of my desk yesterday. Tried grabbing for support and mostly missed and bent my index and fore fingers backwards. Woke up this morning and can barely move them at the knuckles. Luckily my wife is in the medical field and saved me from an ER visit and possible exposure to Covid-19. Glad me phone has dictate of else I couldn’t even text or type. :rofl:

6 Likes

These are both so magnificently terrifying in so many ways. I need to remember to stay away from this thread around bedtime.

8 Likes

Ouch! That sounds so painful. Is it just a sprain and needs to heal? Hope it gets better soon. Good to have someone who knows how to help at home. Get better soon, my friend.
Ps my oldest has started me on MHA and it’s not bad so far. I’m not an anime fan so the animation takes a little getting used to but the story and characters are interesting. I’ll continue watching as I see the passion my child has in this rivals when I talk about my superhero movies and shows.

6 Likes

It adds to the creepy factor too with the teeth seeming separate from the mouth almost skull like. Retainer is a great description!

7 Likes

Sorry for the nightmares but thanks for the compliment!

7 Likes

I also get a wild eyed feeling from it and feel like they should be darting around frantically. The teeth though….scary take on the Joker grin as it looks disconnected from his face. I get the feeling there will be a lot of scary pictures this week.

6 Likes

These are awesome, :see_no_evil: creeptasticly awesome!

We’re gonna have to do this again around Halloween time.

I’m still trying to figure out who I want to draw for this :thinking: might take the angsty route and do Jason, but I feel like I’m always doing the robins :sweat_smile:

7 Likes