DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #70 - Album Cover Homage! November 27- December 4, 2021

Oooo very neat bringing in Pied Piper and the Fiddler (enjoyed their banter in the short time they were in villians united lol)

8 Likes

Nice work IMM, I especially love barry but ollie is great too. (They all are)

8 Likes

Ok, not sure what I was thinking when I picked the A Hard Dayā€™s Night coverā€¦I was caught between it and The Blue Album since that was my first intro to The Beatles but AHDN seemed more fun and I laugh bc all the Beatles look the same to me just like the robins often do if the artist isnā€™t careful.

Onlyā€¦it was also wayyy more ambitious. :see_no_evil: So far I have one line of line art done :sweat_smile: not sure if Iā€™ll have time for the other three. Oops!

original album:

10 Likes

Some great submission already this week!

@Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303 - really cool! Nice choice of characters. Howā€™d you pick these four?

@ImpulseMaxMercury - We are thinking along the same lines. I have something more ambitious planned, but I may end up doing on ā€˜Meet the Beatlesā€™ as well (but with a different TV foursome). Nice work on the faces. That Ollie looks great!

@cici - so ambitious! The range of emotions you already have on that first line is awesome! I hope you can do more, Iā€™d really love to see it!

8 Likes

Yeah if anything this is great practice, ive noticed my facial expressions have been lacking in my art and honestly idk if theres anything harder than trying to draw the same person over and over and actually make them look like that same person :sweat_smile:
Luckily this is digital and we can cheat these things!

8 Likes

So. I looked for musicians in DC but already had Pied Piper & Fiddler. Actually happened to be watching Flash while reading challenge and she had just been introduced! Probably a wierd coincidence. Anyways, I thought just need a singer and a drummer. I remembered Black Canary but couldnā€™t remember who could sing. Then saw how Arrowverse was influenced by Margotā€™s Quinn. So I spent a good thirty minutes until I saw that Roy Harper was a drummer!

I did replace the eighth note with a G clef on Hartleyā€™s belt. Itā€™s red because he is in love with Roy aka Red Arrow.

9 Likes

Fun as always, @Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303! Love the line up (and the separation of crowd space?)

Nicely done, @ImpulseMaxMercury ā€“ great job with the shadows and likenesses!

Haha, this is fantastic, @cici - I was eyeing this one for the same reason and didnā€™t dare attempt it. LOVE your art style - canā€™t wait to see what else you have time for with the younger Robins.

8 Likes

Thanks, yeah I didnā€™t want to attempt trying to sketch anyone, but from the Yellow Submarine cover there are others shown. So I made like the audience is Heroes & Villains. Their space was to be more natural. Itā€™s actually 5 pictures put on a sixth!

7 Likes

Instead of the Beatles H-E-L-P, I went with the Legionā€™s L-O-S-H, but with kind of a YMCA vibe. Bouncing Boy makes the perfect ā€˜Oā€™!

Researching the HELP album cover, I see the Beatles planned to use ā€˜flag languageā€™ , but took some liberties and didnā€™t actually spell out anything. So I stretched the rules myself :grinning:

From Wikipedia

The album cover shows the Beatles with their arms positioned to spell out a word in flag semaphore. According to cover photographer Robert Freeman, ā€œI had the idea of semaphore spelling out the letters ā€˜HELPā€™. But when we came to do the shot, the arrangement of the arms with those letters didnā€™t look good. So we decided to improvise and ended up with the best graphic positioning of the arms.ā€

12 Likes

Not my art (I canā€™t draw) but some (hopefully) inspiration for those who can? My Star Wars Lego Abbey Road shirt, Beatles Monopoly & pieces. It was hard to get pics of the lettering. So, some donā€™t really look the way I had to filter them- to get the words to show.

11 Likes

Lol Iā€™m glad you thought through it better than I did :sweat_smile: it might be not this week but I would like to see it done too! :crossed_fingers:

10 Likes

This is hilarious, what a great idea! Great job on capturing all the likenesses of the LOSH group and the variety of poses, that couldnā€™t have been easy. :clap:

Also Ive always wondered about that album cover trying to make it work in my head but that makes way more sense now

7 Likes

This is adorable! I love it! Great job on the LOSH crew!

I was wondering that when I was thumbing through covers. Iā€™m like ā€œit looks like semaphore, but that spells ā€¦ Ā«doublecheckwithgoogleĀ» ā€¦ N-U-J-D? Or a limp-armed R-U-J-D? What the hell does that mean?ā€

9 Likes

Thanks @cici and @keath! This was my more ambitious option and since I had a bit of extra time this week, Iā€™m glad I dove into it.

Too bad Plastic Man wasnā€™t in the Legion. Heā€™d be great to bend into an ā€˜Sā€™.

When I first saw the HELP cover, I was thinking YMCA until I realized the Village People came a decade after the Beatles! I tried spelling out LOSH in ā€˜flag languageā€™, but this looked much better!

8 Likes

Nicely done and love the musical characters you chose!

7 Likes

Inspired! Great job! I am hoping to finish my Sgt Pepperā€™s homage this weekend and share it.

6 Likes

Very nice!! I feel ya on the not having time, I am in the same boat!

6 Likes

Cool!!! Love it!

5 Likes

Yep currently on a plane out of town so I wonā€™t have time to finish šŸ„²

7 Likes

Here is my Sgt Pepperā€™s homage.

11 Likes