DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #68 - The Sandman! November 13 - 20, 2021

Haha, yeah. It’s never stated outright, but I think Dora calls him Ziggy as an intentional Bowie reference. (Even though the eye-slash is different and people making Ziggy Stardust (and Starman) comments in reference to the Aladdin Sane album cover is one of my huge pet peeves.) I need to reread this run now that we’re discussing it. Ziggy is a relatively minor part of the story, but definitely adorable. It introduces a lot of new characters, but uses many Gaiman (and Kirby) classics as well, and sort of kicks off the modern state of the Dreaming for Sandman Universe. I have it in physical form, so need to dig it up (not just Evely interiors, but beautiful Jae Lee covers!), but if you’re interested, the whole run is collected in three volumes that are currently $5 each on comixology…

Hehe! This is great! Introspective Merv! :smiley:

5 Likes

Dang thats a pretty good deal. Thanks for the heads up!

Also Thank you, the few panels I saw of Merv looked like he was sad to have been created :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Hehe, he’s usually a cantankerous old grouch. (Being janitor of a place that is powered by Dream and therefore should never need cleaning.) But he has his melancholy moments and they are truly touching.

5 Likes

Thanks @NYJt3, @keath, @ImpulseMaxMercury, @stefanie.m, @RobArt471! I appreciate the kind words. I was really amazed when looking closing at PCR’s work how much detail he put into each panel with that cloak!

6 Likes

@stefanie.m - nice way to finish up that Merv drawing. Sitting in the pumpkin patch is a nice touch (is it weird he’s technically sitting on his face??)

@Stephen.Gluck.Henderson.67303 - thought provoking as always!

@keath - I actually haven’t read this run, but that’s cool design and now I want to know more!

@RobArt471 - your 2020 work is great, but I know the 2021 you is even better. Anything new to share this week?

6 Likes

Disturbing and kinda cute at the same time! Love it!

3 Likes

Working on it. Probably will be posted on Sunday. Crazy week this week. Sketch is done, but lots of ink work ahead. Sorry it’s late.

3 Likes

Not sure I’ll have time to color, but did a second take on Ziggy, fully armed and extra foppish.

8 Likes

That looks awesome™:+1:. Great posing. Cool pumpkins.

4 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. Great angle. See the hat size it increased. Nice :+1:.

5 Likes

Got done faster than I thought.

8 Likes

Nicely done!! Digging all the little details in the clothes and guns!

5 Likes

Nice work! I love the deep blacks :black_heart:

6 Likes

Oooh, this is beautiful! Absolutely print worthy. Love her proportions and expression.

4 Likes

Thank you! I love that you love the deep blacks too! I was gonna break them up with some shine for her leather pants, but just couldn’t do it. So I added the hint of her being in shadow so I could let the blacks stay.

4 Likes

Wow, thank you!! That is the best kinda praise there is!! Thank you!!

3 Likes

Very awesome™:+1:.
Great posing. Like the shadowy mist feel of the background.

3 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

@keath - very clean lines and great detail on those guns. Love the space age one!

@RobArt471 - Looks awesome! It’s a bit of a departure from your usual style, but works really well for Death. Was there a sponge involved in that background?

6 Likes

This is kind of cool. I tagged Neil Gaiman when promoting this thread on twitter and he gave us a like.

That led to over 1,650 impressions (times people saw the tweet on Twitter) from Neil’s followers! That’s a lot more eyeballs that now have heard of the group and may remember it when they see it again.

8 Likes