DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #65, October 16 - 23, 2021

Hi @DCFanArtClub and welcome to our third week of spooky challenges. This is something I’ve wanted to try for a while, but was looking for the right series and right time to do it.

Batman Dark Victory (available right here on DCUI) by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale is a sequel to Batman The Long Halloween and it really had a striking series of moody, eerie and creepy covers.

The challenge this week is to recreate one of these covers in your own style. Use the original cover as a layout or an inspiration and create something where you own style shines through.

Due Date: October 23, 2021
Submit: Post your final work here.
Thoughts, ideas and works-in-progress can be posted below.

Also, if you’ve done any pumpkin carving, don’t forget to post a picture in our October monthly challenge thread!

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

6 Likes

This is a really good one. I do almost this exact thing when doing artist studies. I find something I need to work on like hands, hair or whatever and then find the artist I think does it the best in my opinion. Look up a bunch of their work and then try to re-create it just like they did it. Once I am happy with that, I then re-create it using my own style and incorporate whatever I am working on such as hair or hands. I learn a lot and also improve my own style with a new flare. Art evolution.

Rob-tip:
Don’t just use comic artists. My anatomy work is mostly inspired by doing studies of Michaelangelo drawings, paintings and sculptures.

If you look closely at my anatomy you will see the resemblance of the form and anatomy trying to peek through.

5 Likes

I wanted to wish good luck to my fellow DC Fan Art Club members for those who submitted to DC FanDome! Hope to see all the submissions!

5 Likes

Oo interesting. Never done a recreation before. Sounds fun.

4 Likes

Does anyone know the schedule of events? I won’t be able to watch the entire thing but I also wanted to see any art segments

3 Likes

I missed the announcement. Who won?

3 Likes

I found the following link showing the finalists

5 Likes

Ooo that Joker cover is giving me the heebie geebies.

3 Likes

Well said Rob. I’m a firm believer of learning the rules first and then learning how to bend and break them to develop your own style.

For me, I learned the basics from ‘How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way’ by Stan Lee and John Buscema. I really studied Buscema’s work along with John Byrne and George Perez in the 80s.

Now, however, I have a greater appreciation for the work of people like Chris Bachalo and Bill Sienkiewicz. I find their creativity and unique style to be just amazing.

I never really thought I developed a recognizable style, but when I look through our 2021 gallery I can see everyone has a style coming through.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Too bad no one from the fan club was a finalist, but I think we’ve had some really strong submissions from the team!

4 Likes

Yeah, the How to Draw book brings back memories of my first foray into trying learn more proper ways to draw. I am completely self taught and that book helped quite a bit. Then I started asking artists questions at conventions once I knew the terms and talking points so I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Of course, this was all pre-internet. I think it was Michael Golden that suggested reference work and using references outside of comics to learn from by doing studies. He was very awesome to talk to and he even grabbed a print they were selling. He flipped it over and drew some stuff in the back of it while giving me pointers. Then he autographed it for me. Like I said awesome dude.

3 Likes