DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #60, September 11 - 18, 2021

Hi @DCFanArtClub! September is National Hispanic Heritage Month!

Technically it goes from September 15 - October 15 so let’s take the opportunity to join in the celebration this week. This month is meant to recognize the contributions and influence of Hispanic Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States.

We can expand upon that for our challenge this week to honor and draw a Hispanic character from DC Comics.

Some of the headliners that come to mind include:

• Jessica Cruz (Green Lantern)
  • Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle)
  • Renee Montoya (The Question)
  • Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern)
  • Yolanda Montez (Wildcat)
  • Aztek (Hi @Aztek!)
  • Sideways

There are, of course, many more and a couple of handy lists can be found here at CBR and here at DC Universe itself.

Due Date: September 18, 2021
Submit: Post your final work here.
Works-In-Progress should be shared in this thread. :+1:

By the way, I considered running this as our September monthly challenge, but I get the feeling it might be asking too much. We usually end up skipping a week to catch up on the monthly challenge anyway so I’m thinking we reserve the monthly’s for club collaborations or special events. That being said, there are some Halloween activities being planning site wide for next month and our October challenge will tie into that.

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

14 Likes

Sounds awesome™:+1:. Already have some ideas flowing.

6 Likes

697164_original

6 Likes

Sounds great!
Funny thing is I have already drawn five of the seven characters you mentioned (one was for this year’s DC Fandome but the others were right here!)

7 Likes

Can’t wait to start on this! :star_struck: (Thanks for the shout out, @JKoco17! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

5 Likes

I had a feeling you would like this one! :smile:

5 Likes

Sounds like an opportunity for a deep dive into more obscure characters. El Gaucho or Pantha maybe? Or we could just make it an Aztek appreciation thread. :grin:

6 Likes

Speaking of other characters, maybe a dumb question but I want to make sure before I make a gaffe – in terms of Hispanic characters, would Yara Flor, the new Wonder Girl count?

3 Likes

Hi Jay Kay! Yara Flor is Brazilian and, technically speaking, she is Latino and not Hispanic.

I had to look up the difference and found this explanation.

Hispanic identity refers to language, or “people of Spanish-speaking origins.” Latinx identity, however, refers to people whose origins are geographically located in Latin America.

And while the two categories mostly overlap, people from Brazil and Spain illustrate the distinction. Brazilians are Latino because the country is located in Latin America. But Brazilians aren’t considered Hispanic because the country’s primary language is Portuguese.

However, that being said, this is just all for fun and we don’t have to follow anything to the letter. I would like to see your rendition of Yara. I drew a pic of her back during Future State week and I know that costume has a lot of complexity to it.

5 Likes

So Hispanic is people who’s cultures are based in the Latin languages, got it.

In that case, I may focus on a different character and do another one for Yara. Maybe. Who knows. I don’t even know! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Works in Progess.
It was Mexican Independence Day yesterday and to celebrate, I thought I’d share my progress on Mexico’s Justice League members!
Iman, Acrata , El Muerto and El Dorado.

My plan was to do a portrait of as many Hispanic characters as I could and do something that resembles A Tribe Called Quest’s Midnight Marauders album.
I will keep working on it !

5 Likes

Dang you’ve been busy, these are looking fantastic!

4 Likes

These are awesome @Aztek! :raised_hands: Great job. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Looks great @Aztek! Keep going! I’ll add your finished piece to the gallery when you’re ready.

4 Likes

Definitely! Still going too! :sweat_smile: Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Sounds good! I’m giving myself till Oct. 15th (The end of Hispanic Heritage Month) but will keep updating ! :grin:

2 Likes

Update: Both Azteks and Green Lanterns (:

2 Likes