DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #6

Had to do a quick sketch of my favorite artist for the feline of the dc bat family

16 Likes

Very nice! :open_mouth:

1 Like

My fav artist too! Really nice tribute sketch!

2 Likes

Decided to go with Julie Newmar—she was the first Catwoman I was exposed to on tv! Hope everyone likes her.

Cheers
ESS

13 Likes

@EasternShoreSpeedster Wow at all of the texture, and the detailing on her jewelry! :hushed: Love that you’re highlighting one of the first and greatest, too​:two_hearts:

3 Likes

Thanks! Definitely a fun one to do :grin:

2 Likes

How do you knock these out so fast? I agree the jewelry is some fine detail. Meow :heart_eyes_cat:
Love, that you chose Julie. You’ve captured her Purrrfectly.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing the majority on my iPad and I use the principles of the “Old Master” painting technique which helps speed up the process.

I was going to keep the jewelry more simplistic, but once I started working I couldn’t stop. :grin:

Thank you, she was the best choice for me—definitely going to watch Batman’66 now lol

5 Likes

I got ahead of myself and wrote Catwoman at the wrong angle so I had to turn it into a sad circle. I also remembered why I don’t try to draw real people while doing this.

11 Likes

There’s something in the bottom-right face that perfectly captures the art of the '40s-'50s era! Man I wish I could do that!

2 Likes

Thank you! I basically just stared at this photo and tried my best to copy it.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind my asking, is there a specific reason you don’t like her? I’m not judging, I’m simply curious.
-M

1 Like

Glad the challenge wasn’t delayed, how else will I better my sketches! I based my design off of Arkham Knight with some minor modifications. Hopefully I’ll figure out how to draw lips.

-M

12 Likes

Forgot to link it to this thread

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/quick-batman-red-rain-catwoman/878812/11

3 Likes

I love that you right quick every time and they are always so wonderful! Digging catwomans outfit.

And I saw Lee’s work on Ebay for the batman who laughs its fabulous. I love all his work!

2 Likes

Looks great!

Agreed weekly challenges push me to do stuff I normally wouldn’t. Also lips, hands, and sometimes eyes are the worst :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I just never really enjoyed her character in btas and the few comics I read growing up so I guess I just kind of avoided her. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Well to me it seems fast, lol :joy:. Plus I’ve been trying to push myself a little more than usual. I love :heart: Jim lee’s art. He’s my main inspiration & Todd McFarland and rob liefeld and Michael turner. Those are my favorites, I always try to make my own style look like Jim’s art tho. Well as good as I can , if I spend more time I could probably do an exact copy but that’s not the point of my recreation.

2 Likes

Well done I like that you captured a variety of cat women.

Same, it’s good practice.

2 Likes

Not my best stuff here, haven’t had a ton of practice with female figures. Still a fun challenge though! Thanks!

10 Likes

Mixed feelings. Not thrilled with how she came out, but feeling good that I forced myself out of my comfort zone and tried something with a little more motion involved. If anyone has suggestions/tips/corrections for next time, please let me know. I’m critique friendly.

@Alonica - TY for the feedback! I tried adding a few more highlights :sweat_drops: Probably could have used even more, but I think it helped!

Model reference: Antti Suniala photography Not quite the same support going on. Selina is probably going to faceplant into the pavement. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes