DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #46, May 22 - 29

vertigo header

Hi @DCFanArtClub and welcome to Vertigo week!

DC’s Vertigo imprint was the home to some of the most innovative comics of all time and this week the challenge is to create something with a character from its storied history.

If you are not familiar with Vertigo, some of the series to choose from are:

• Swamp Thing
  • Animal Man
  • Doom Patrol
  • Shade, The Changing Man
  • Sandman
  • Hellblazer
  • Preacher
  • Y The Last Man
  • The Invisibles
  • Transmetropolitan
  • 100 Bullets
  • Fables
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre

…plus many more!

Due Date: May 29
Submit: Post your final work here.
Works-In-Progress should be shared in this thread. :+1:

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

6 Likes

Yas! What a fantastic challenge! (as I’ve been reading some vertigo titles) And I have just the character in mind :+1:

4 Likes

I probably picked a good time to take a vacation from DCFAC, I think the only Vertigo comic I’ve read is Dini’s Dark Night: A True Batman story. What am I gonna do, draw Paul Dini?

EDIT: I take that back, I’ve read some Sandman Mystery Theater. Eh maybe I’ll draw Wesley Dodds.

Just when I think I’m out…

Nah, I’m adamant about taking a break, I just want you to know I’m here in spirit.

6 Likes

Don’t forget iZombie was also a Vertigo comic before being adapted as a great television series!!!

6 Likes

I had actually forgotten iZombie was a Vertigo comic. Thanks for the reminder!

6 Likes

No problem! I remembered because I had posted a post about the show and it got moved because it was thought to not be DC related and I fought for it.

5 Likes

Ah, good one. I need a Swamp Thing redemption. My last attempt was horrendously bad. I hope I can make time for this challenge. I am starting Starman tonight for the monthly request challenge.

5 Likes

Awesome™:+1: now who to do?:thinking:

4 Likes

I’m trying a Swamp Thing myself. Those Alan Moore issues were amazing!

5 Likes

Gonna take a shot at the Swap Thing, been a fan since the original movie came out!

2 Likes

wait!! HITMAN!!!

ooh! or mawzir!!

im doing mawzir!! He loooks so cool!

does this work @JKoco17 ?

Was Hitman a Vertigo comic? I don’t think so, but it probably could have been with Ennis and McCrea on it.

Sure, let’s consider Hitman and the Mawzir as in scope here. Go for it!

1 Like

thanks!

actually, I’m not sure if I can do it this time. Sorry folks.

I’m swamped with school today and I’m on vacation from tomorrow until Monday…

I went new school rather than classic Vertigo. (The end of Shelly Bond era.) Let’s see if anyone else has actually read this… Hoping to get them assembled in to one drawing and at least inked this weekend…

(Drawing characters that have only been done by one artist is very difficult when that artist has such a distinctive style!)

3 Likes

these all look awesome!!!

1 Like

These are really well done, but I must not have read this one. They give me a kind of Dave Gibbons vibe along with the Mad Hatter looks. Hmmmm, I may need some hints…

1 Like

Y’know, I was thinking it reminded me of Tank Girl and now I see why.

I was browsing the Comixology sales and there it was – Last Gang In Town!!

The artist has worked on Tank Girl in the past. I didn’t read this one, but may check it out now!

3 Likes