DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #4

As someone who sucks at and avoids backgrounds at all costs, I’m feeling regret.

6 Likes

If I spelled any of the words wrong, it’s just because my pens got gummed up and I’m dumb, but mostly my pens got gummed up

7 Likes

@CynicalPink I finally settled on an idea. With my overuse of details and the fact that I don’t necessarily have to draw people this should be fun!

4 Likes

@ImpulseMaxMercury I was thinking of your robin 80th when writing the challenge, tbh!

4 Likes

Wow! I am humbled! Thanks for the shoutout! Anything in particular that made you think of my Robin picture?

3 Likes

@CynicalPink here is my entry for this week’s challenge.
I thought they always showed Killer Croc as just living in a cave, so I thought about how he would decorate his hideout. I’m curious if everyone will get my references this time, I really tried to fill with pop culture details.

5 Likes

All the thought and detail you put into your background!

And comments to come on your week 4 entry and biff’s soon as I get back to the comp. :+1:

4 Likes

@biff_pow I LOVE this, now that I can actually read it! I am so envious of your creativity! And the roommate is adorable :heart_eyes_cat: Grundy would adore his new lair.

@ImpulseMaxMercury Like I mentioned before, so much detail to love! I’m stumped with the Mick reference, but I get a kick out of the Wally hate and his trophy rock (especially since he didn’t even get Batman with it, he “almost” got him. hahaha).

3 Likes

Thank you! I hope it’s clear it’s not a grave. Just a hole.

3 Likes

@CynicalPink thanks!
As for Mick, who is one of the most famous crocodile hunters? Why Crocodile Mick Dundee of course!

3 Likes

@ImpulseMaxMercury embarrassed I didn’t get that!

@biff_pow grave didn’t even cross my mind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure who will see this, but don’t want to drive everyone nuts with another tag:

Postponing the next weekly challenge for now. Bunch of people want time to work on their monthly Robin, so this gives a little more breathing room. Thanks!

4 Likes

Grocery list on the fridge is cute. And the water way leading into the lair looks great. :+1:

4 Likes

I love this so much! My favorite part is definitely the “Rock I Almost Got Batman With”. I have a feeling a lot of the rogues gallery keep random weapons/stuff that they actually got a good hit on Batman with. Like a little trophy or motivator.

4 Likes

Looks great! This lair matches Solomon Grundy perfectly. Also, Grundy definitely has the best roommate ever.

4 Likes

I was thinking back to the BTAS episode where all the villains said how they almost got him. Of course that Croc was Batman in disguise but I laugh when he said he used a rock

4 Likes

Thanks I have trouble with drawing water so I’m glad for the compliment. The list was held by a Batman magnet too so I liked he wanted milk with his raw chicken

5 Likes

A little late sorry! I honestly just wanted to practice stairs.

Feel like I should explain in Demon Knights when etrigan and blood switch places either waits in hell and since etrigan is not particularly well received hes hiding out in a cave away from the city.

Not sure why theres a fire in the cave since it’s well hell but it looked naked without it…

Edit: does making the buildings smaller in the background make it feel like they are far away?

3 Likes

@stefanie.murr7 Sorry for the late reply, but just saw this! I think the idea for having the buildings smaller to give the illusion of distance works, but they might be a TEENSY bit too tiny to recognize them as buildings (might also be because it’s in black and white). I love the concept, though! The fire in the cafe would look amazing if we could ever see this kind of design animated!

3 Likes

Thanks dude, I’ve not done (nor really like to) do backgrounds. Looking back it looks like a row of mangled teeth. Lol thanks for the feedback! Maybe this next monthly challenge I’ll try adding more. :+1:

3 Likes