DC Fan Art Club: Weekly Challenge #32, Jan. 9-16

Week32Banner

Welcome to our second “text prompt” challenge! I chose this week’s quote in honor of the new year. How it inspires your art is entirely up to you. It might bring to mind a specific character. Or, perhaps, it will give you the nudge to try a tool or style you’ve never before approached. Whatever the case, wishing you lots of fun with it!

Challenge:

Due: January 16
Submit: Drop your work here whenever finished.

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

@DCFanArtClub

9 Likes

As for me, I think I might try sculpting or crafting something really simple. If anyone else feels like getting messy:

12 Likes

Well I might finally bust out this sculpey & monster clay that I bought this summer LOL. Should I try and do a Superman statue or a Superman Statue :thinking:

10 Likes

I could double dip and have my monthly challenge be the weekly challenge since I’ve never done manga before. But I wouldn’t take easy way out though tempting

11 Likes

Sounds fun. Awesome think I have some ideas with this. :thinking:

9 Likes

I really want to try Monster Clay, tell me how it goes if you decide to use it!

9 Likes

I won a new iPad at work for being awesome! Awesomely lucky that is. :crazy_face: I ordered an Apple Pencil so I can try some digital coloring. My daughter suggested ProCreate as the app to use. Although I have done digital work before, it was only with a mouse. So, I am gonna draw something new and digitally color it or try too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11 Likes

:laughing: I was honestly wondering how many ppl would say this

8 Likes

Yay, congrats~!! I dont know your coworkers, but I’m biased, and say it couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy! I use an Apple Pencil with Procreate, and it’s pretty great!

8 Likes

Awesome™:+1: congrats :tada:

7 Likes

Thanks @CynicalPink and @NYJt3! Don’t know about the “nicer guy” thing. My mom would’ve scolded me for boasting that I won something, saying it wasn’t very nice. Sorry Mom!

Can’t wait to give it a try. Should have it by Tuesday. Should be interesting to see how fast I can pick it up. Old dogs and new tricks, ya know. :rofl:

8 Likes

That is such a mom thing :laughing: But we’d back ya up!

And good luck with the tablet! I think you’ll really enjoy it. While I generally like the messiness of traditional media, and having a physical piece to show for efforts, the colors you can achieve with digital make it a media I definitely want to keep working at. Hope you find the same joy in it!

@DCFanArtClub : Few other ideas for those looking to try something new:

• Photography (take some unique shots of your collectibles)
  • Sewing/Crochet/etc (you can use the colors of a character as a theme)
10 Likes

Ooo…the photography idea is a great backup idea! Thanks!

6 Likes

Ooh, these are good ideas! I was thinking of either doing a geometric abstraction of a character on a canvas or trying to capture a character doing some collage art using magazine clippings.

6 Likes

I’m interpreting this as drawing something new to me. Maybe something from DC’s NEW age of heroes. The books didn’t last, but there were some interesting designs (Sideways, Brimstone, The Immortal Men). I’m leaning toward Ghost Fist of the Immortal Men. He’s a great Jim Lee design.

5 Likes

Procreate is great! And there are a bunch of tutorials out there plus affordable complete course in places like Udemy. (I’m currently learning how to use it)
But! There are more apps to try besides procreate:

For starters:

Adobe Fresco: like a photoshop but not as intense. Offers layers for free and vector drawings if I remember correctly

Concepts: free and very suitable for beginners. It takes a bit to get its flow but is specifically designed for sketching. Highly recommended for quick sketches. Also has layers for free

Tayasui Sketches: a simplified version of the ones mentioned above. No layers offered but it’s watercolor offer is actually really nice.

Infinite painter: like a cheaper version of procreate.free, Limited layers.

Intermediate:

Medibang: like a Clip studio paint -but free- also like a photoshop

Clip studio paint: powerful engine but subscription based. Like a photoshop

I’ve only mentioned the apps I’ve used to be fair. I’m sure there are many more out there but these have past the test of time with me ever since I got an iPad a few months ago.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations! :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes