DC Fan Art Club: Week 24 Submissions: Mera

For the week of Sept. 5-12, the @DCFanArtClub tackled a character challenge — Mera, in all her queenly variations! Even if you’re not a member of the club, feel free to submit or comment below :trident:

Past Weekly Challenges Archive:

1. Expressions: Wear your heart on your (spandex) sleeve
  2. DC LEGO: Just Imagine
  3. Knee-Biters: DC Characters as Toddlers
  4. No Place Like Hideouts: Background challenge
  5. DCFac’s Eggcellent Adventure: Easter egg decorating, DC-style
  6. Feline Fine and Artin’ Onward: Catwoman’s 80th Anniversary
  7. The Anti-blank-Batman-head coalition project: Community User Icons (Free for any to use!)
  8. Community Tag: Members supplying prompts to other members
  9. ‘GID GOOD, SCRUB’ : The Question playing video games while sitting in a beanbag chair
  10. I Make This Look Good: DC weapons, gear and more
  11. Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Reproducing official comic artwork
  12. ‘Let the coin decide.’ : Members rolled to see if they would be drawing heroes or villains
  13. DC Diversity: Celebrating black cast members of the DCU in honor of Juneteenth
  14. Challenge 1. DC Pride: Celebrating LBGTQ+ characters in honor of Pride Month
    Challenge 2: LGBTQ+ Icons for the DCU community
  15. ‘We the People’: In celebration of the Fourth, famous figures of history redrawn as DC characters
  16. Character Challenge: Speedsters
  17. ‘Rainbow Connection’: Color-prompt challenge
  18. ‘Out-of-Context Chaos’: Artists picked a single line of text from a comic and created original (and very unrelated) art for it.
  19. ‘Read All About It’: Artists received prompts from a random newspaper headline generator
  20. Character Challenge: Martian Manhunter
  21. ‘Seeing Stars’: The heroes and villains of live-action Stargir
  22. ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ : Drawing characters as teens — but only those we haven’t already seen often de-aged in canon material.
  23. ‘Element-ary’: DC heroes and villains who are master wielders of the elements

Past Monthly Challenges Archive:

1. March 2020: 80 Years of Robin
  2. April 2020: DC Episodes Turned Into Comic Book Covers
  3. May 2020: Meta Madhouse: TOURNAMENT OF TERROR
  4. June 2020: Team Trinity Challenge
  5. July 2020: Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer
  6. August 2020: DC Masterpiece
8 Likes

boo grodd, i was so close :laughing:

3 Likes

He’s a speedster!

4 Likes

I went with Mera as she’s depicted in the Justice League animated series:

11 Likes

Love this, are the inks metallic?
I always liked her costume in this, it felt like a mix between goddess queen and warrior

4 Likes

Thanks! Yes, the silver and gold paint markers are metallic! Yeah, her costume in JL has a very “goddess” vibe. :blush:

4 Likes

Decided to base my Mera off the DCAMU movies.
Made a happy Hello Mera. Enjoy

11 Likes

@NYJt3 Like I said on the other thread, this is so adorable and lighthearted - which is nice because we don’t get to see this side of Mera often! The colors are lovely too.

3 Likes

Thanks
Yeah I enjoyed working with bright colors.

3 Likes

I think it’s weird when they make women wear crowns so I tried making her’s into headphones. It didn’t really come out as planned, but the water umbrella could have gone worse.

12 Likes

I was worried seeing Mera as the subject as I feel I have trouble drawing the female characters more especially making sure the faces still look feminine but fierce. But you know me I will not back down from a challenge and based mine off the movies. I also tried to capture the costume which is difficult. Between my Aquaman from some weeks back and this one they sure have to make it hard with scaling.

11 Likes

I never thought about the fact that they usually animate female royalty with the headgear and not the men! That’s interesting. Well, I love this, it’s such a groovy reimagining of the character - well done!

2 Likes

Wow! You captured the subtle details of the costume perfectly, and I can imagine that was difficult to accomplish in pencil! I love the added element of the sea creatures - also so well drawn. Great job!

3 Likes

My first time drawing Mera. I went looking for reference material and took my inspiration from this.

pencils …

and a SPLASH of color.

9 Likes

That looks awesome™:+1: like this take on it.

3 Likes

Preview slideshow now added!

@Hyperia90 I loved that design! Like cici said, it was such a nice blend of oceanic royalty and warrior. The metallic inks must be so beautiful on the actual piece! I wish we could see the shine with the belt and accents.

@NYJt3 I’m so used to all of heroes looking serious that I love seeing them in happier moments! Really nice work on Mera, and capturing the motion of the water with the detailing of her hair, but I love the colorful and detailed background most. Mera > Ariel. :smiley:

@_UnderScore I really like the overall style of this. It’s the kind of art print I’d buy. Awesome work with light and shadow, and so true about the headgear!

@ImpulseMaxMercury After seeing how well you did with Stargirl, I’m surprised you worry about working on drawings of female characters :open_mouth: She looks determined and self-possessed, and the detailing on her costume is amazing. Even in pencil, it gives a sense of the texture and reflective quality of her costume from the movie. (Her underwater friends are also really cute, haha. You make me think I should do an animal character challenge next).

@Goldk Lovely reproduction! I’m still wow’d by the effort put into her hair. It gives so much energy to your artwork. I also like how you played with her attack to give it an original spin. It looks like a whirlpool in the making.

3 Likes

I totally posted in the old thread, LOL!

7 Likes

Awesome™:+1:

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay! Slideshow has been updated, and amazing work with the ferocity of that water! I also like how you changed the strength of your lines to suggest we’re viewing her through it.

2 Likes

Better late than never?

And have any of my fellow traditional artists noticed their colors have been desaturated lately when uploading? :thinking:

5 Likes