DC Fan Art Club: Reference SOS

I can’t draw for squat without a reference, whether a real-life photo or a comic page. If you’re in the same boat and need some anatomical help for your masterpieces, request help below!

Just describe the kind of pose you need and let your fellow club members help you hunt it down.

Or if you prefer to wing it, go for it. That above piece is valued at roughly $45 million. :wink:

Check out our official Tutorials/References/Stock wiki for more!

9 Likes

@DCFanArtClub Hi, all! Finally got this section up and running. If you have any websites you’d like me to add to the above list, please link to them below.

The gist of this thread is to give you a place to find reference help.

For example, let’s say you want to draw Green Arrow firing a shot, but as if you’re looking down at him from above.

If you have no idea how to handle that perspective, describe what you’re looking for, and (hopefully) someone can link you to a similar comic panel, screen shot, and/or real life photo.

That’s it! If you have questions or suggestions, let me know!

9 Likes

i wish i’d had these when i was crafting my piece, “solomon grundy eating dizzy grizzlies”

2 Likes

@biff_pow

5 Likes

that made me wheeze!

2 Likes

I like www.unsplash.com a lot. All photos on Unsplash can be used for free, for commercial and noncommercial purposes. The images are super high quality and there are a lot of variety of photos.

3 Likes

@serenap95 Thank you! Adding to the list!

3 Likes

I have a feeling this post is going to become my best friend.

4 Likes

So for the monthly challenge I’m doing a cover for Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey and I wanted to have Harley walking bruce(on a leash), eating an egg sandwitch, with Cass walking next to her, examining the diamond, with the birds of prey poking their heads in(out of the sides, like using their hand to grip the side of the cover), and Black Mask And Victor Zsazs chasing after Harley and Cass. Can anyone help me out?

@HarleyQuinn2020

You’ll have to adjust an arm for the sandwich, but maybe this can get you started for the walking…

Maybe something like this for the BoP…

https://images.app.goo.gl/8ayFYfQ9fdvhUcqH6

And chasing is more dynamic, so if it’s easier to maybe look at the line work from another illustration…

https://images.app.goo.gl/gzc62Zx9rWcVbZyX8

And that sounds awesome! Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! I really hope it works out. I just finished watching Suicide Squad for the first time(in prep for “THE Suicide Squad”) and can I just ask, why do people hate it so much?

1 Like

Welcome!